Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer won't turn on

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 stebbinsd

stebbinsd

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 15 April 2017 - 08:19 AM

It was working fine less than a week ago. I had a problem with the screen going black, as you can see here: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/644177/what-cable-do-i-need/

I realized that the problem was the monitor, since the problem persisted even after I connected the monitor as a separate display to my laptop. So I bought a new monitor n Ebay for $35. The tracking number says it's supposed to arrive today. Well, I can't see what I'm doing, but I turn the desktop on, it will usually log into Windows on its own if I give it enough time.

So I decided to turn the machine on and have it automatically boot up while I wait for the monitor, then I plug the monitor in when it gets here.

Nothing happened. The light doesn't come on at all!

It was working just fine just a few god damn days ago!

What the hell?!

EDIT: New development. I took off one side of the case. When I flip the switch on the PSU to the "1" position, there is a small green light on my video card that lights up. If I flip the switch to "0," it will go dark after a few seconds, but it will turn back on if I flip the switch back to 1.

The same thing applies to my game controller. The green ring in the center will briefly light up if I flip the switch to 1, but it will instantly go dim again.

So, the PSU isn't broken. The problem is getting the machine to turn all the way on.

Edited by stebbinsd, 15 April 2017 - 09:28 AM.

My current build:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P
Processor: AMD FX-8350
RAM: 12GB (2x2GB+8GB)
Video Card: Geforce GTX 750ti

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,163 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 15 April 2017 - 09:44 AM

Why don't you just wait for the monitor to arrive?

There are a number of versions of UEFI/BIOS that will not allow a machine to boot unless a monitor and a keyboard are present, and for obvious reasons.  If your machine was not configured to be an unattended server box it could very likely have that feature.

You've already done what's necessary to eliminate the power supply as a problem.  While it's possible that the on/off switch coincidentally died in the interim, it's not probable.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#3 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,351 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2017 - 09:58 AM

:oopsign:

Edited by The-Toolman, 15 April 2017 - 05:05 PM.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#4 stebbinsd

stebbinsd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2017 - 10:03 AM

Why don't you just wait for the monitor to arrive?

There are a number of versions of UEFI/BIOS that will not allow a machine to boot unless a monitor and a keyboard are present, and for obvious reasons.  If your machine was not configured to be an unattended server box it could very likely have that feature.

You've already done what's necessary to eliminate the power supply as a problem.  While it's possible that the on/off switch coincidentally died in the interim, it's not probable.

Well, for starters, there's a difference between booting and lighting up.

Second, I already used this tutorial right here ...

... to try and turn the machine on without the button, using a screwdriver. It didn't work. However, now I have another problem: I have no idea what order to put the button's cable into int he motherboard. There are about six separate pins that I had to  pull out in order to try that ... and the labels on the motherboard are way too small for me figure out which pin goes in which hole.

If I could get the power button back intoo the motherboard, I could temporarily connect back to the old monitor to see if that fixes the problem like you suggest.

My motherboard is a Gigabyte Z87M-D3H. Do you know where I can get a PDF copy of that user manual?

My current build:

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,033 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2017 - 10:16 AM

Here you go

http://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z87M-D3H-rev-1x#support-manual

#6 stebbinsd

stebbinsd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2017 - 10:18 AM

My power button is split into five cables. If they were all grouped together in one, this would be so, so, sooooooooooooooo much easier!

One of them says +P LED.

Another says -P LED.

Another says H.D.D. LED

Another says Reset SW

And finally, one of them says Power SW.

How do I know which pegs go where?

My power button is split into five cables. If they were all grouped together in one, this would be so, so, sooooooooooooooo much easier!

One of them says +P LED.

Another says -P LED.

Another says H.D.D. LED

Another says Reset SW

And finally, one of them says Power SW.

How do I know which pegs go where?

My current build:

#7 stebbinsd

stebbinsd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2017 - 10:22 AM

I couldn't find anything in that PDF instruction manual that told me where each peg was supposed to go.

My current build:

#8 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,163 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2017 - 10:32 AM

stebbinsd,

It's definitely time for me to step away.   You love to overcomplicate everything and it's making your life, and that of those trying to give you assistance, far more difficult than it need be.

You can introduce more confounding variables into what would be a relatively simple diagnostic situation between two messages than almost anyone else I've ever seen.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,033 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2017 - 10:36 AM

I couldn't find anything in that PDF instruction manual that told me where each peg was supposed to go.

Page 25

#10 stebbinsd

stebbinsd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2017 - 10:39 AM

Page 25

Ok, I put everything all the pegs back in where the manual says they're supposed to go.

I hooked the tower back up to the broken monitor. I made sure the keyboard was plugged in, since you expressly mentioned that as also being something the BIOS checks for when booting.

I pressed the power button.

Nothing happened!

My current build:

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,033 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2017 - 10:42 AM

Pull the power. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Attach the Power. If it doesn't turn on then I'm out of ideas.

#12 stebbinsd

stebbinsd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2017 - 10:43 AM

stebbinsd,

It's definitely time for me to step away.   You love to overcomplicate everything and it's making your life, and that of those trying to give you assistance, far more difficult than it need be.

You can introduce more confounding variables into what would be a relatively simple diagnostic situation between two messages than almost anyone else I've ever seen.

Hey, it's not like I'm doing this on purpose!

It's just that ... when I wait several hours for a response ... when I get three dozen views on my thread with nobody responding, I get disheartened that nobody is planning on helping me so I have to figure it out myself.

In the past, my efforts to self-troubleshoot have always, at the very least, yielded additional symptoms that can help pin down (no pun intended) the problem.

Anyway, my new monitor just arrived in the mail. I'm going to try and  hook that up just  in the 0.00000000000000001% chance this solves the problem.

My current build:

#13 stebbinsd

stebbinsd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2017 - 10:53 AM

Pull the power. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Attach the Power. If it doesn't turn on then I'm out of ideas.

Ok, that doesn't work either. Anyone else got any ideas?

Ftw, I plugged in the new monitor. That  still didn't do anything.

Would this button be compatible with my motherboard?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-110-210-PC-Genuine-Desktop-Power-Button-with-Cable-713244-001-/332125856269?hash=item4d543e620d:g:YXUAAOSwr~lYooyz

My current build:

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,033 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2017 - 10:57 AM

If you shorted the two power pins and the computer did not turn on then the switch is not the problem. If you have a multimeter test the PSU. Double check your connections on the Front Panel Header.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ac7YMUcMjbw

Do you get a post beep?

#15 stebbinsd

stebbinsd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2017 - 10:59 AM

I don't have a multimeter.

My current build: