Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer shutting down after running certain apps

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 gellegbs

gellegbs

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 14 April 2017 - 10:20 PM

Specs

Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-6500 CPU @ 3.20GHz (skylake)

with intergrated graphics Intel HD Graphics 530

Board: Z170M-E D3 ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.

Bios Version 2202 as of 2/15/17

Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

EVGA Nex 750B

This build was supposed to be only an upgrade from an old AMD system but the only component from the last PC is the hard drive which did have windows 10. When I changed motherboard,  chipset and RAM windows was complaining about new mother board and would randomly restart (turn off and boot to bios and then go to OS); which issue still remains. I formatted hard drive and ditched windows to see if the old OS software and new MB conflict was the issue (plus I don't feel the need to get windows for this pc right now). The system did reboot less and would only reboot when running certain apps like Minecraft or some other lower graphics games or while playing movies.

At that time the power supply I had was 3+ years old Thermaltake TR2 600W ATX Power Supply, so I changed it to what is in the spec post above. No help there. Then I thought it might be the bios version so I updated it. Nothing changed. I RMAed the CPU thinking it has to be a faulty graphics component and installed a new one. Nothing has changed. I looked online to see what drivers were available for the CPU and they are all for windows. I am still not sure if that would help if I was able to get a linux version of drivers for the CPU or whatever the problem is. I still suspect the graphics component. I just don't know what else to do!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 15 April 2017 - 01:02 AM

Have you got a part number for your memory kit?

Skylake CPU's are recommended to be used with low voltage (1.35v) DDR3, rather than the 1.5v type.  It might be an issue or it might not. I believe Corsair did do a version for 6th gen Intel Core - http://www.corsair.com/en-gb/vengeance-pro-series-16gb-2x8gb-1-35v-ddr3l-dram-1600mhz-c9-memory-kit-cmy16gx3m2c1600c9 so hopefully that's what your using.

Memory errors will cause general instabllity, unexpected resets etc. so it's a possibility.  If you do have memory intended to run at 1.5v, you might get it to work at a lower voltage by operating it at a lower speed and/or looser timings. 

Other than that, it sounds like you've swapped out quite a few major parts already, except the motherboard.

I'm no Linux expert but I believe suitable open source Intel GPU drivers are included with most newer distributions, and it should just work. You shouldn't have to download and install external drivers normally. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/intel_graphics

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 gellegbs

gellegbs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2017 - 05:42 AM

Other than that, it sounds like you've swapped out quite a few major parts already, except the motherboard.

I'm no Linux expert but I believe suitable open source Intel GPU drivers are included with most newer distributions, and it should just work. You shouldn't have to download and install external drivers normally. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/intel_graphics

I agree. I thought so aswell. I will check my Ram. Thank you for the reply.

#4 gellegbs

gellegbs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2017 - 07:04 AM

Checked which RAM I bought and it is the 1.5v kind. Do you think I am able to change the volatge via mb? I have never done that before but I am looking into it.

Ok changed voltage in Bios to no avail. It still is rebooting after some time. I can hear the fans reving up and all when its about to reboot like the system is under stress. I have checked the temps and they all seem fine. I will return this ram and get the correct voltage, so it may be a few days till I can post again.

Edited by gellegbs, 15 April 2017 - 08:22 AM.

#5 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 15 April 2017 - 11:57 AM

Sorry, just seen reply. If you drop the voltage you may have to either drop the speed (e.g. to 1333 mhz) or set "looser" memory timings (e.g. 11-11-11-28 instead of 9-9-9-24) to compensate.  The higher the number the "looser" the timings are said to be.

The timing numbers in their respective order correspond to following settings that should be in your BIOS:

CL: CAS latency

tRCD: RAS to CAS delay

tRP: RAS Precharge

tRAS: Active to Precharge Delay

Apologies for the gobbledygook but there's really no easier way to explain that! http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/understanding-ram-timings/

If you've already sent off for the DDR3L, I hope that improves matters. It really should be a better match for Skylake CPU's in any case.

7sbvuf-6.png

#6 gellegbs

gellegbs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2017 - 07:20 PM

I changed my ram to Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16GB DDR3L DRAM 1600MHz C9 Memory Kit for DDR3L Systems 1.35V. It's still doing same thing. Any game I start crashes in approx 10 minutes. I have checksed CPU temps over and over again and i'm not getting anything above 50C. I checked my OPenGL version (3.0 with Mesa 17.0.4) since the games I was running use that. I can only guess it's a driver issue? I'm going to dig around the internet more about it and post to Linux forums if I don't solve soon. Thanks for input!

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,273 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2017 - 07:38 PM

Let's see what we can see.

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Go to Piriform's website, and download the free version on the left.  Click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version. You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.

After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):

post-33068-0-86653600-1480692866_thumb.j

Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot.

Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard

Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the ADD REPLY or REPLY TO THIS TOPIC button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.

Louis

#8 gellegbs

gellegbs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2017 - 01:19 AM

Sorry I'm running a Linux OS (Antergos), because when I changed motherboard my windows "liscence" expired, so I won't be able to use those softwares. I found out that my intergrated graphics card can only handle the lowest settings on graphical programs and I will need a seperate graphics card. I guess I underestimated the software and over estimated the intel chip. It has been an interesting journey and I learned a lot about my current system and OS. Though fustrating I think I came out of this experience with a better understanding of how hard trouble shooting hardware can be and how well documented the Linux OS is! So much good information out there and a good community. Well guys, thank you both for responding.

Edited by hamluis, 23 April 2017 - 06:13 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users