Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Optional Telemetry Petition

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Mike_Soda

Mike_Soda

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 14 April 2017 - 04:48 PM

Before watching the video or posting a reply; please dear readers, hear me out first. I'm posting this because I believe in choice, no matter what it is so please keep an open mind upon continuing. No matter how you personally feel about the uploader, their content, Microsoft or telemetry data. Sign Barnacules's petition because Burger King was right, we should have it our way.

https://www.change.org/p/jerry-berg-microsoft-needs-to-add-an-off-option-to-telemetry-for-windows-10

Ryzen 5 1500X @ 3.9GHz On 1.3625V | MSI B350M Gaming Pro | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz | 3GB MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 2063MHz Core 9408MHz Mem | EVGA G2 550W | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO | Windows 10 Home 64-bit Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.112) | MasterCase Pro 3

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,631 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 14 April 2017 - 04:53 PM

I watched that video and the "issues" that he discusses did not effect my installation. I can't sign his petition because his issues are a non sequitur in reality.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 Mike_Soda

Mike_Soda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2017 - 05:01 PM

I watched that video and the "issues" that he discusses did not effect my installation. I can't sign his petition because his issues are a non sequitur in reality.

I've noticed that trend has been occurring since the release of Win 10. Some users experience way more or way less telemetry collection than others even though settings are the same. It's really odd to me why Microsoft does that, part of me hopes they just naturally won't collect as much from me. Although I still always prefer the ultimate in customization, would go with Linux if it were universally supported more lol.

Ryzen 5 1500X @ 3.9GHz On 1.3625V | MSI B350M Gaming Pro | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz | 3GB MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 2063MHz Core 9408MHz Mem | EVGA G2 550W | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO | Windows 10 Home 64-bit Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.112) | MasterCase Pro 3

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,631 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2017 - 05:07 PM

I have a Linux dual boot. You might want to consider dabbling your toes in Linux and do a dual install. With Linux you can search the web and read your emails and a hundred other things, but for specific software you can always switch over to a Windows partition.

But I love Windows 10 and I am happy with it, but look at this thread for specific information.

https://www.tenforums.com/windows-10-news/81816-microsoft-releases-biannual-transparency-reports.html

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#5 Mike_Soda

Mike_Soda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2017 - 05:47 PM

I have a Linux dual boot. You might want to consider dabbling your toes in Linux and do a dual install. With Linux you can search the web and read your emails and a hundred other things, but for specific software you can always switch over to a Windows partition.

But I love Windows 10 and I am happy with it, but look at this thread for specific information.

https://www.tenforums.com/windows-10-news/81816-microsoft-releases-biannual-transparency-reports.html

I don't browse the web really, what I will be doing on Windows 10 though is as sensitive as it is required daily use.

#6 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 14 April 2017 - 06:02 PM

I'm just curious, if you don't browse the Internet, what is it that you do? Entertainment mainly? Games, movies, music, etc. ? :)

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 14 April 2017 - 06:07 PM

The youtube uploader was correct in that the EU and especially France put serious pressure on Microsoft to reveal what telemetry they were collecting. Personally I am not worried about Windows 10 because after Windows 7 end of life I am moving to linux. If I need a Windows program it will be by running Windows in a VM on a linux box.

Edit: The uploader had a nice reply telling  of his experience with a Microsoft Employee at a water park. Be sure to read it.

Edited by JohnC_21, 14 April 2017 - 06:23 PM.

#8 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,631 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2017 - 10:40 AM

The youtube uploader was correct in that the EU and especially France put serious pressure on Microsoft to reveal what telemetry they were collecting. Personally I am not worried about Windows 10 because after Windows 7 end of life I am moving to linux. If I need a Windows program it will be by running Windows in a VM on a linux box.

Edit: The uploader had a nice reply telling  of his experience with a Microsoft Employee at a water park. Be sure to read it.

If you read ALL of the data that I linked to in my post, then you will see that even in the United States Microsoft discloses all of the data that is collected.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,649 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2017 - 12:06 PM

If you read ALL of the data that I linked to in my post, then you will see that even in the United States Microsoft discloses all of the data that is collected.

I didn't mean to imply that it did. Only that Microsoft released the data collected after pressure from the EU and France.

http://www.computerworld.com/article/3098338/microsoft-windows/windows-10-personal-data-collection-is-excessive-french-privacy-watchdog-warns.html

http://www.theverge.com/2017/2/21/14682256/microsoft-windows-10-eu-privacy-concerns

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/microsoft-reveals-for-the-first-time-the-data-it-collects-in-windows-10/

Microsoft becomes more transparent for Creators Update
Both users and privacy groups criticized Microsoft, but the ones who convinced the Redmond company to make this move was the European Union WP29 (Article 29 Data Protection Working Party), who started an investigation into Microsoft's user privacy practices last year.

To avoid getting a huge fine, Microsoft has agreed to be more transparent. The first move was to introduce a Privacy section in users' web accounts, while the second move was to revamp the Privacy settings section in Windows 10.

Edited by JohnC_21, 15 April 2017 - 12:06 PM.

#10 Mike_Soda

Mike_Soda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2017 - 11:47 PM

I'm just curious, if you don't browse the Internet, what is it that you do? Entertainment mainly? Games, movies, music, etc. ? :)

Well I do browse some but it's very limited & only if absolutely necessary like when I needed to know what RAM a Motherboard I plan to buy supports, had to visit their official site. Mainly just RuneScape, YouTube, these forums & LTT ones too. All together there are only about 2 dozen different websites I've visited in the past 5 years. It used to be even less but since I got NoScript Firefox plugin I feel a bit safer visiting major brands such as Amazon, MSI, ASUS, etc.

Yeah that's one thing I'll always hate about many big businesses, if there's something really wrong with a company it should be known. The employees should be allowed complete transparency, maybe that'd push the CEO's to fix what's broken.

#11 Mike_Soda

Mike_Soda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2017 - 12:05 PM

I didn't mean to imply that it did. Only that Microsoft released the data collected after pressure from the EU and France.

http://www.computerworld.com/article/3098338/microsoft-windows/windows-10-personal-data-collection-is-excessive-french-privacy-watchdog-warns.html

http://www.theverge.com/2017/2/21/14682256/microsoft-windows-10-eu-privacy-concerns

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/microsoft-reveals-for-the-first-time-the-data-it-collects-in-windows-10/

Microsoft becomes more transparent for Creators Update
Both users and privacy groups criticized Microsoft, but the ones who convinced the Redmond company to make this move was the European Union WP29 (Article 29 Data Protection Working Party), who started an investigation into Microsoft's user privacy practices last year.

To avoid getting a huge fine, Microsoft has agreed to be more transparent. The first move was to introduce a Privacy section in users' web accounts, while the second move was to revamp the Privacy settings section in Windows 10.

I think I'm gonna wait a couple more weeks at least before building new PC with Win 10, although at this point I'm not 100% confident in anything right now :unsure:.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,649 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2017 - 09:11 AM

From 9:00 in the above video. I firmly believe as the uploader does Microsoft is not using all this telemetry solely for the purpose of making the OS better but also using it for marketing. I am never going to purchase Windows 10 be it by packaged or included in the purchase of an OEM computer to have Microsoft data mine me. Give me an off option on telemetry like Enterprise users. I'm paying Microsoft just as Enterprise customers are.

#13 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,631 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2017 - 10:26 AM

From 9:00 in the above video. I firmly believe as the uploader does Microsoft is not using all this telemetry solely for the purpose of making the OS better but also using it for marketing. I am never going to purchase Windows 10 be it by packaged or included in the purchase of an OEM computer to have Microsoft data mine me. Give me an off option on telemetry like Enterprise users. I'm paying Microsoft just as Enterprise customers are.

You might want to stay away from computers and TVs altogether.

https://decentralize.today/apple-vs-google-vs-microsoft-which-company-handles-your-data-better-a7022bd452b1

https://www.wired.com/2017/02/smart-tv-spying-vizio-settlement/

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,649 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2017 - 11:29 AM

That article references smart TVs. I refused to purchase those. Same as anything IOT or using the cloud for storing private material. I never use an Android Smartphone if I am concerned with privacy. As far as using Google to search use Duck Duck Go which does not keep track of your searches. Ghostery and Adguard takes care of the rest. Personally I don't like paying for an OS that is going to data mine me.

I should also mention that the only data that is collected by Ubuntu is through Apport and that is disabled by default.

Edited by JohnC_21, 17 April 2017 - 11:49 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users