Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Remove "set as desktop background" from explorer context menu

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Sage_Lee

Sage_Lee

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 14 April 2017 - 04:00 PM

Hi -

After accidentally changing my desktop for the bajillionth time, because some nincompoop put the "set as desktop background" option right next to the "edit" option in the explorer context menu, and because my hands are quicker then my eyes, I am finally at my wit's end.

I gave a quick search of the internet and the forums here before posting, but have not yet found a working solution.  Here are the things I've already read about/tried:

- I found the startup/context menu section in CCleaner, but I couldn't find anything relevant; it looks like general explorer context menu stuff isn't there, only the things associated with third-party startup applications.

- I tried going into the registry according to some old directions I found for this very question, but the registry directory the solution mentioned was not there on my machine.  The folder I couldn't find was supposed to be named something along the lines of System_file_associations, under the Local_Machine keys, iirc.   It was supposed to lead to something like .jpg -> shell -> setasdesktopbackground, and they said you had to remove it for each file type, .png, .bmp, etc.

- Note that I'm not interested in downloading any new third-party tools.

Could somebody please help me find the proper registry keys (or whatever) for taking care of this?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide.

Edited by Sage_Lee, 14 April 2017 - 04:20 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,883 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 14 April 2017 - 05:41 PM

Welcome to BC...

A brief search finds a solution removing that context menu item when editing image files. Not for removing that item when clicking on an image in a browser.

"Set as desktop background" - Add or Remove in Windows

Windows 7 and 8

QUOTE:   2. To Remove "Set as desktop background" from Context Menu of Image Files

A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 3 below.

Remove_Set_as_Desktop_Background.reg

dl2.png

3. Save the REG file to your desktop.

4. Double click/tap on the downloaded REG file to merge it.

5. Click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK when prompted to approve the merge.

6. When finished, you can delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

For Windows 10...Add or Remove Set as desktop background Context Menu in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Customization Tutorials

Edited by buddy215, 14 April 2017 - 05:48 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Sage_Lee

Sage_Lee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2017 - 06:08 PM

Hi.

Thank you for your prompt response, I really appreciate the help.

That being said, I already saw this, and this solution is actually the one I was thinking of when I said "Note that I am not interested in any new third-party tools". (I should have said downloads). Suffice it to say that I'm not particularly comfortable allowing some automatic solution with which I'm not familiar to mess with my registry on my behalf.  I'm simply not skilled enough to verify what it will and won't be doing.

If registry editing is the answer here, and it looks like it is, I'd really just prefer to do it myself.  I've edited/removed registry keys before via specific direction for a specific purpose, and it's easy enough to both do and follow the gist of what's happening, provided you know where to find the right keys.   I would very much appreciate it if someone could provide a little guidance in that regard.

Edited by Sage_Lee, 14 April 2017 - 06:14 PM.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,883 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2017 - 03:57 AM

Have you seen this.....Remove "Set as desktop background" from Windows context menu - Super User

QUOTE:

Method 1

You can modify Windows Registry.

1. Press windows key + R to open Run
  2. Type regedit and click ok.
  3. Type the following:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers

4. Each folder inside this registry folder represents an item that is in the context menu. Simply delete the one you do not want. You may want to copy the registry value and save it somewhere else in case you ever want to get it back.

UlFKW.jpg

Be careful about breaking windows and making the ability to switch desktop images still work. You do not want broken windows

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 Sage_Lee

Sage_Lee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2017 - 03:43 PM

I did actually see that one yesterday too, but the file path they talk about appears to lead only to third-party start-up item context menus: Dropbox, Eraser, 7-zip, etc.  (There are also two labeled only with long alpha-numeric strings, but I don't understand anything about that.).  However, I did just notice more information in the comments that I overlooked previously, so it was still helpful. 

I went ahead and searched for "systemfileassociations" in my registry, since that was the subfolder I was looking for, and since one of these guys in the comments also mentioned it.  I couldn't find the right path yesterday given another set of directions I read, but the comments and search turned it up. 

Unfortunately, the search turned up two locations that look almost identical.  Here's a picture, since that's easier than words:

xwghtwT.png

If I take the commenter at his word, then it seems I want the one inside the LOCAL_MACHINE directory instead of the ROOT directory (the previous directions I saw also had it under L_M).   Furthermore, using the context of the things highlighted in the picture of the "recommended downloadable solution" in your link, it seems I want to delete the topmost keys (the one which start with @%SystemRoot%\system...) in order to do the deed.  So it seems we might have the solution, although I should note here that the commenter in question was actually the OP, and he ended up choosing the auto-solution to do things for him, so who knows if he has a clue.  (It reads like he was just another me, someone who did some reseach, and found this stuff that seems about right, but who doesn't really know much more.)

Also, the almost identical nature of the two separate locations has me wondering... "Sup with that?"  I've been curious about this before after poking around in the registry, and I find myself being really curious now how these registry directories work, i.e: what the difference is between ROOT and LOCAL MACHINE, and why there are so many identical-seeming entries in various different locations.  Is there  any quick "gist-of-it" explanation you (or anybody else reading this) could give me or point me towards?

Also, predictably, since I got me my inch, now I want me a mile:  would there be any way to just MOVE the entry in the drop down menu so that it's not in between my two edit locations?

mZ4YOcr.png

That would be the ideal solution here, as it's the placement that's the problem, not the option itself.  The option is useful, but I'd like it to be somewhere away from my high-traffic areas, since it's not undoable and doesn't ask for comfirmation.  Say, in between Cut and Copy, since I never use the menu for those.  (Note that, within a Firefox environment at least, it does ask for display options before implementing, thus allowing you to cancel; this would be another fine solution for the explorer enviroment.)  It does seem increasingly likely that this would involve adding/customizing registry entries, which is pretty sophisticated assuming it's even allowed by Windows, but I'm hoping there could be a way.   (Meta-question:  Is this the right/best forum/section to be asking about things like this?  There are a lot of "computer help" forums on the internet, and I just kind of picked this one for no real reason without knowing the difference between them.)

The thing is, I still want to change my desktop background; in fact I do it fairly regularly.  I just don't want it to keep happening so frequently by accident.  It appears this soluton may disable that option completely, so I wanted to double-check if that's the case before deciding if I want to take this step.  (If I can still change desktop pictures within the Personalization control panel environment, that would be fine, but if not, then moving it within the menu if possible would be far preferable to removal.)

Thanks again for all your help.

Edited by Sage_Lee, 15 April 2017 - 04:57 PM.

#6 Sage_Lee

Sage_Lee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2017 - 04:45 PM

Also, just to be safe, can you or somebody please confirm for me proper registry edit precedures before I do anything? It's been awhile since I've done something like this, and even then I was only following explicit directions I found somewhere.   Here is what I think I know:

1) right-click on setdesktopwallpaper folder in the left-hand panel of regedit, "export to" [some folder somewhere for safekeeping]

2)  right click and delete the correct key(s) in the right-hand panel

3)  cross fingers; hope it works (do I need to restart?)

4) if there is some kind of unexpected problem, then... actually I'm not sure how to import the keys back, never had to do this step

(I apologize for my neediness. I know just enough to know I could really screw up my computer by messing with the registry, so I'm a bit paranoid about being certain of how to proceed before doing so.)

Edited by Sage_Lee, 15 April 2017 - 04:59 PM.

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,883 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2017 - 05:46 PM

I think you are less likely to have a problem if you use the first suggestions....

You should back up the registry before editing it...especially since you are a bit unsure.

Windows 7

First, manually back up the registry, or create a restore point.

Next, restore the information based on which backup method you used.

Restore from a restore point

#8 Sage_Lee

Sage_Lee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2017 - 07:58 PM

I'm definitely unsure, but again, I'm not comfortable with auto-solutions; explaining myself further on this point would require a lengthy philisophical discussion, and this really isn't the place for that.  I'll just say again that I would really like to do things like this "myself".  Maybe even learn some stuff in the process.

I can however follow directions quite easily and competently, so I'm fine with what I see as a very small probability of catastrophe.  (Which only becomes greater than 0 in this context if I should choose to proceed.  Which I can still decide not to do).  But obviously I would need those directions; I'm not sure if that's asking too much, or if I'm in the right place to ask that much.   Feel free to tell me to buzz off or direct me elsewhere if that's the case.

Thanks for clarifying those last points, though.  I think what we've seen so far leaves me at least one last question;  i.e.:  do I remove the top entry in the ROOT directory, or in the LOCAL_MACHINE directory (and are we sure it's that top entry?  I thought I was speculating.)?  And do we know for sure if I'll still be able to change desktop pictures with other methods once it's done?  (But also, to reiterate, if you or anyone else on the internet you can point me to could instruct me on how to move the option around in the menu, instead of removing it - or how to implement a confirmation box, or something equally wizardly - that is now my preferred solution.  To quote the wise Susie Derkins,  "As long as I'm dreaming, I'd like a pony.").

Edited by Sage_Lee, 15 April 2017 - 08:02 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users