Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange browser behavior -- possible infection

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 js10

js10

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 14 April 2017 - 02:18 PM

I've been experiencing what I can only describe as strange behavior recently, and have to assume that some kind of infection could certainly be the cause. Basically, I'll be using the Internet, then all of the sudden I'll be unable to access any websites. When using Firefox, and I enter a URL into the location bar, it will essentially just reload the current page rather than navigate to the new site. With Chrome, it's a bit different -- it will just display a blank page with an error message (something about the website not being able to be reached). I have other devices, though, connected to my router that still work, so I really don't think that's the problem. I even have software on my machine that accesses online data that appears to work while this is happening. So, it seems to be pretty much be limited to my browsers.

The good news is that, so far at least, I've been able to resolve it by doing a system restore to an earlier point. But obviously this is still not a good situation.

One last thing. My antivirus software is the free version of AVG, and I've been having trouble with it recently. It tried to give me some kind update and I accepted. Now, there's an exclamation over the icon in my taskbar and when I hover over it it says "error -- click for more info." I actually tried to just uninstall it and either start over with it or get a different antivirus software, but it actually told me that I couldn't uninstall it without some kind of software (!) so I just kind of gave up -- for now at least.

Edit: Moved topic from Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 14 April 2017 - 02:59 PM

Uninstall AVG antivirus and all other AVG products from your list of installed programs. Be sure to first completely shut down AVG or run the

uninstaller while in Safe Mode.

If the uninstall is not complete/ fails....then use the AVG Remover tool.....download from How to uninstall AVG software | AVG Support

Do not reinstall AVG. Run the programs below first before deciding whether or not to use a different antivirus other than the free Windows Defender.

Use CCleaner to remove Temporary files, program caches, cookies, logs, etc. Use the Default settings. No need to use the

Registry Cleaning Tool...risky. Pay close attention while installing and UNcheck offers of toolbars....especially Google.

After install, open CCleaner and run by clicking on the Run Cleaner button in the bottom right corner.

CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

• download Malwarebytes to your desktop.
  • Double-click mb3-setup-1878.1878-3.0.6.1469.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
  • Then click Finish.
  • Once the program has fully updated, select Scan Now on the Dashboard. Or select the Threat Scan from the Scan menu.
  • If another update of the definitions is available, it will be implemented before the rest of the scanning procedure.
  • When the scan is complete, make sure that all Threats are selected, and click Remove Selected.
  • Restart your computer when prompted to do so.
  • The Scan log is available throughout History ->Application logs. Please post it contents in your next reply.

Download AdwCleaner by Xplode onto your desktop.

• Close all open programs and internet browsers.
  • Double click on adwcleaner.exe to run the tool.
  • Click on Scan button.
  • When the scan has finished click on Clean button.
  • Your computer will be rebooted automatically. A text file will open after the restart.
  • Please post the contents of that logfile with your next reply.
  • You can find the logfile at C:\AdwCleaner[S1].txt as well.
  • download Junkware Removal Tool to your desktop.
  • Shut down your protection software now to avoid potential conflicts.
  • Run the tool by double-clicking it. If you are using Windows Vista, 7, or 8; instead of double-clicking, right-mouse click JRT.exe and select "Run as Administrator".
  • The tool will open and start scanning your system.
  • Please be patient as this can take a while to complete depending on your system's specifications.
  • On completion, a log (JRT.txt) is saved to your desktop and will automatically open.
  • Post the contents of JRT.txt into your next message

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,420 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2017 - 12:03 PM

This could solve the problem...reset the winsock...

Resetting Network Adapter (Winsock Reset) | iiHelp

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 js10

js10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2017 - 10:39 PM

This could solve the problem...reset the winsock...

Resetting Network Adapter (Winsock Reset) | iiHelp

Hi. Thanks, but that link doesn't seem to work.

Admittedly, when I saw the last reply, I got a bit intimidated by all the info/steps and gave up for now. Sure enough, it did happen again today, though I was able to fix it again. By the way, when I look at my System Restore points, around the time it happened, I see "Installed Windows XP Wdf01009. I have no idea what that is -- certainly not something I intentionally installed. Does that tell you anything? Thanks again.

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,420 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2017 - 05:46 AM

Windows XP Wdf01009 is a file installed by Avast. Have you uninstalled AVG per my first post?

#6 js10

js10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2017 - 09:59 PM

Have you uninstalled AVG per my first post?

Now I have.

I did, though, have to use the Remover tool you linked to, though, as it wouldn't let me do so without it. But now I don't see any sign of it in my system, which is great. I already see some improvements to my machine. For example, it might be starting up a bit faster, and over the past two weeks, Flash wanted to do an update but it kept on failing. This time, it updated without a problem. So, it will probably take a few days to see if the browsers going offline issue has been resolved, but so far so good. In the meantime, though, what do I do about the fact that I removed my antivirus software? Is there a more stable one you can recommend? Please note that I do have the premium version of Malwarebyte (a lifetime license), but I thought I need more than just that. Thanks.

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,420 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2017 - 05:02 AM

Bitdefender is free and as far as I know it is still compatible with XP. Free Antivirus Software - Download Bitdefender Antivirus Free

You should run the programs below before installing it.

Have you considered using a FREE Linux operating system? They work great on old XP machines and you won't have to be concerned

about installing any security programs or being vulnerable as XP machines are today. You can actually run a LIVE Linux OS without having to

install it to test to see if it works. Live versions don't use the harddrive....only run in RAM. If you don't absolutely need a program such as Windows Office

or play only Windows platform games....then you can use a Linux OS. I just installed Ubuntu Mate on a twelve year old Dell desktop.

Anyone needing assistance with Linux can get it in the Linux Forum here at Bleeping Computer.

Use CCleaner to remove Temporary files, program caches, cookies, logs, etc. Use the Default settings. No need to use the

Registry Cleaning Tool...risky. Pay close attention while installing and UNcheck offers of toolbars....especially Google.

After install, open CCleaner and run by clicking on the Run Cleaner button in the bottom right corner.

CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

Download AdwCleaner by Xplode onto your desktop.

• Close all open programs and internet browsers.
  • Double click on adwcleaner.exe to run the tool.
  • Click on Scan button.
  • When the scan has finished click on Clean button.
  • Your computer will be rebooted automatically. A text file will open after the restart.
  • Please post the contents of that logfile with your next reply.
  • You can find the logfile at C:\AdwCleaner[S1].txt as well.
  • download Junkware Removal Tool to your desktop.
  • Shut down your protection software now to avoid potential conflicts.
  • Run the tool by double-clicking it. If you are using Windows Vista, 7, or 8; instead of double-clicking, right-mouse click JRT.exe and select "Run as Administrator".
  • The tool will open and start scanning your system.
  • Please be patient as this can take a while to complete depending on your system's specifications.
  • On completion, a log (JRT.txt) is saved to your desktop and will automatically open.
  • Post the contents of JRT.txt into your next message
  • Please download Security Check by glax24 and save the file to the Desktop
  • Run the tool by accepting all the Security prompts
  • when complete the tool will produce a log file C:\SecurityCheck\SecurityCheck.txt and also copy the contents to the Clipboard
  • Simply Paste the log to your reply

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users