Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB is not recognized after i made it bootable with rufus

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 beyondUSB

beyondUSB

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 14 April 2017 - 01:44 PM

Hello,
The usb was already bootable with older version of windows 10 and i needed a newer one.So i formatted the usb and used rufus to make it bootable again.However now the usb is not recognized and i cant access it.I tried on different computers with the same result.
I used DISKPART and a lot of different tools that other people suggested but it does't show there also.It also heats up in less than a minute when plugged in.
I read on a forum somewhere that you can't make a bootable usb twice,so i don't know if that's the case or not. I'm not the most experienced in this area so i could use all the help i could get.
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,311 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 14 April 2017 - 02:08 PM

I read on a forum somewhere that you can't make a bootable usb twice

Wrong. You can format and create a bootable USB flash drive multiple times. I think from your description of the overheating and not detectable on multiple computers the drive has failed especially if diskpart does not detect it.

Just to confirm, with the USB flash drive attached typing 

list disk using diskpart does not list the USB drive, correct?

#3 beyondUSB

beyondUSB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 14 April 2017 - 02:15 PM

Yes, that's correct, its not showing with list disk command and its not showing in disk management too. It was working properly, then i formatted it , and used rufus to write it again. the process ended successfully but after that the usb was unusable so i though that i made some mistake or something :(

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,311 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 14 April 2017 - 02:36 PM

If this flash drive is not detected on other computers using diskpart then I believe it has failed. It was probably just a coincidence it failed after using Rufus. Count yourself lucky you did not have important info on the drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users