Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Innefectiveness of adblock. What can I do to block popups?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 The-Administrater

The-Administrater

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 14 April 2017 - 10:22 AM

Using Firefox 51.0.1 (32-bit)

Installed anti popup add ons:

Adblock edge

Adblock plus

Adblock plus popup addon

Adblocker ultimate

Adguard adblocker

Ublock origin

All are apparently up to date. However I still get popups like this:

ezUDs0e.jpg

Ironically there are times when it blocks stuff I actually want to view. I get a notification when this happens and I can still view the content. Any good ones out there?

Edited by The-Administrater, 14 April 2017 - 10:24 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 The-Administrater

The-Administrater
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2017 - 10:25 AM

BLX! Cant edit title typos!

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,002 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 14 April 2017 - 10:29 AM

I get these also and I don't think there is a way around it. Websites have learned how to defeat adblockers. About the only thing you can try which I have on Adguard is to add the Adblock Warning list Removal and Anti-Adblock Killer filters.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,138 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2017 - 01:05 PM

There is no way to stop this, and it's maddening, but the saving grace is that, at least in many cases, you can just dismiss these.

John_C21 is correct that with the ubiquity of adblockers websites are now including code that detects that you're using them and gives you nags like the one you've shown because, essentially, they rely on ad revenue to provide content and you're blocking it.

What makes me crazy is that web advertising is just so much more intrusive than print advertising on the whole and always has been.  If what were being presented were similar to the print ads that you see in a newspaper or magazine I could just ignore them the same way I do in print media.  But most ads online blink, scroll, flash, play music, have video, or similar and they are just infinitely more annoying and draw attention from actual content.  You'd think that the powers that be would have figured out by now that this is the primary reason that adblockers have come in to extremely widespread use, but they haven't.

For websites that won't allow me to continue with an adblocker on I keep MS-Edge on my machine without an adblocker so that if there's something I really think I need or want to see in a given situation I can.  Otherwise I just write off that website as one I will not visit again, even if I've been using it for years.  While I understand the concept of web advertising it should be like other advertising in print media and where advertisers know that what they're paying for is placement.  There are lots of times where that placement will not result in "eyes on" attention and, to me, adblockers are the same as me not granting my "eyes on" attention.

I'll probably end up an old man who can only view two websites on the worldwide web if this trend continues, but if so, so be it.   I'm not about to deal with the kind of visual and auditory distractions that are served up as web advertisements.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#5 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 14 April 2017 - 02:21 PM

Reading your, guys, posts, I must say Wikipedia doesn't get as much respect as it should. It literally has become the biggest collection of written knowledge in the world and on top of that it is oftentimes more accurate and up-to-date than Encyclopedia Britannica in the last couple of years. And the cherry on the top - There are no ads! The guys at Wikipedia could literally place one ad banner on the left side & one at the top of each wiki and would reap billions, but they don't. Talk about altruism...

Edited by Just_One_Question, 14 April 2017 - 02:22 PM.

#6 katesdad

katesdad

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:32 AM

'GHOSTERY' works for me...best of the blockers in the 'free' zone..

#7 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,138 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:51 AM

'GHOSTERY' works for me...best of the blockers in the 'free' zone..

Ghostery will not block this sort of pop-up.

I've been "fully girded" for years now with Ghostery, Adblock Plus, and HTTPS Everywhere.

None of these will stop the presentation of these messages that the site has detected an ad blocker.  These things are also not, at least in the conventional sense, pop-ups.  Pop-ups as conventionally defined open in their own windows.  Most of these things are what I call "overlays" because I really don't know what the appropriate web-coding term for them is.  They're now being used for quite a number of things and, as someone who works with blind and visually-impaired individuals who use screen readers, they drive me insane because screen readers cannot interact with most of them at this time so when one pops up everything goes silent and the screen reader user has no idea at all of what's going on.

They break accessibility in the worst possible way.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 20 May 2017 - 08:03 AM

I know this topic is more than a month old.

Try using Firefox with the NoScript add-on. I just now viewed the Telegraph website mentioned in your opening post. Had no problem with viewing

written content, images. I also have Adblock Plus installed in Firefox. I allowed no script to run. I saw no pop-up even after clicking on and viewing articles.

Expect to have to spend some time using NoScript to learn to use it properly.

NoScript Security Suite :: Add-ons for Firefox

One ad blocker is sufficient. Some of those you have installed actually use the same list(s) of ad servers they block. If you have all those installed in the

same browser there must be a battle going on between them.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#9 The-Administrater

The-Administrater
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2017 - 05:21 PM

I know this topic is more than a month old.

Try using Firefox with the NoScript add-on. I just now viewed the Telegraph website mentioned in your opening post. Had no problem with viewing
written content, images. I also have Adblock Plus installed in Firefox. I allowed no script to run. I saw no pop-up even after clicking on and viewing articles.

Expect to have to spend some time using NoScript to learn to use it properly.
NoScript Security Suite :: Add-ons for Firefox

One ad blocker is sufficient. Some of those you have installed actually use the same list(s) of ad servers they block. If you have all those installed in the
same browser there must be a battle going on between them.

All suggestions are welcome. Sometimes I have found good advice in threads that were years old. Nothing wrong with an occasional update. I will try that NoScript thing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users