Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

TROJ GE 7BDB7F2E

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 UncleWiggily1952

UncleWiggily1952

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 14 April 2017 - 07:23 AM

I was recently given a Pavilian laptop with Windows 7 with the codicil that it was "riddled with viruses." The previous owner had tried to remove them by using the HP Recovery files to no avail. I installed Microsoft Essentials and ran scan which found nothing. I also ran Malware Bytes and found 548 (!) PUPs. I also did 136 Windows updates. A Trend Micro scan found the AppGraffiti.dll and the AppGraffiti64.dll. I found this program in the program list and removed it. I did not find it in Explorer or Firefox. I did not follow Trend Micro's recommendations to remove anything else, knowing I was coming here next.

At that point the machine began acting as if it might have a bad case of ransomware, refusing to allow me to get into the control panel, suddenly losing the display picures and screensaver as well as the START button. I had to do a hard shutdown using the on/off power button. A restart resulted in the same behavior.

I hope I have given enough information to give you an idea of what I am facing. This is a barely used machine. It would be a pity to turn it into a brick; I hope you can help.

UncleWiggily

Edited by UncleWiggily1952, 14 April 2017 - 07:27 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,101 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2017 - 08:44 AM

If that computer was purchased with Windows 7 installed and has the original hard drive....then you should reinstall Windows 7 using the

recovery partition. You can use a bootable Repair Disc created on any other Windows 7 machine to boot the computer and restore the computer to

factory settings. Create a system repair disc

To create a system repair disc

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 UncleWiggily1952

UncleWiggily1952
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2017 - 01:45 PM

Thanks, Buddy!  There was a program/wizard in the Control Panel that restored this machine back to the factory install easy peasy! Computer fixed just like that! Now I sort of feel guilty for not giving it back. The guy told me he took it into a repair shop and what they wanted to fix it was too expensive. In his opinion, it could not be fixed for less money than it was worth, but he knew I liked to tinker with computers so he just gave it to me. Doing the Windows updates was/is the hardest part. A whole bunch failed on me yesterday but I think I have found the info I need to fix that problem.

Thanks again! I am connected to my world again!

UW

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users