Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mystery Lost Photo Data Issue - Please Help....

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 CrookedHair

CrookedHair

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 13 April 2017 - 05:18 PM

I have several cropped jpeg photos, that are actually the "leftover" part of the original picture that I had edited out with the crop, with a dark, blank space over the rest of the picture. I'm not sure how I ended up with these leftover files, but I really want to try to restore these files to the original full pic. 

I know the data is still there. When I see the files on the thumbnail view, IF the thumbnails are small enough, the full pic is visible, but as soon as I enlarge the thumbnails in the folder to a certain size, the full pic disappears and the thumbnail displays the cropped, current view. AND, sometimes when I open the pic in Microsoft Office 2010, I will see the full original pic for a split second, before the darkened space reappears over the part of the picture that I'm trying to recover. 

There is no way on the toolbar of Microsoft Photo Viewer in my Windows 7 to manipulate this issue. I've tried to restore to previous versions with no luck. I've also tried to download random photo recovery software, but I don't think that's exactly what I need.

I really don't know what I need, but I know this data is there and must be recoverable in some way... can anyone help?

Thanks for any interest in helping me solve this mystery.

Crook

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,673 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2017 - 05:42 PM

I had edited out with the crop, with a dark, blank space over the rest of the picture. 

I am throwing out a guess here but is it possible this blank space is actually an added layer on the base image? Paint.net uses layers but I can't say it will detect a layer on your image or if it is even a layer.

https://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/LayersWindow.html

#3 CrookedHair

CrookedHair
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2017 - 09:59 AM

Thanks for the suggestion but it doesn't look like it recognized any layers. This is the strangest thing.I just don't know why I can see it with smaller thumbnails, and sometimes at full size, but only for a split second before it's gone. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users