Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Some questions about Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 ScarXL

ScarXL

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 13 April 2017 - 04:53 PM

The upgrade is downloading as we speak, and I wish to ask a few questions before upgrading.

I am upgrading from Windows 8.1 64 bit.

- Are my drivers intact after the update?
- Will my files and installed programs be untouched after the upgrade (desktop shortcuts too)?

- Is Windows Update safe to use in Windows 10? I heard it can mess up some GPU drivers but I don't know about that

- Anything I should know before upgrading? I have already made a backup. Apparently I can also revert back if I don't like it.

Thanks, please reply fast

Edited by ScarXL, 13 April 2017 - 04:53 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 13 April 2017 - 04:59 PM

Windows 10 sucks.

Revert.

Wait till 2023 if you want to "upgrade".

I really like 8.1 Pro.

#3 ScarXL

ScarXL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2017 - 05:00 PM

I asked for answers, not opinions

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 13 April 2017 - 05:49 PM

1. Windows 10 will find new drivers, no problems.

2. All of your files and installed programs SHOULD be untouched if this is simply an upgrade.

3. Windows updates are absolutely safe.

4. I love Windows 10 and I think that it is the fastest and safest OS on this planet.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#5 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 13 April 2017 - 05:59 PM

I asked for answers, not opinions

My answer was an answer.

I've been with Windows since 3.0.

Windows 10 sucks.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,244 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 13 April 2017 - 06:16 PM

I recommend two things. Disable fast startup if enabled. Windows 10 uses a hibernation file for faster startups and this hibernation file can become corrupted. It also prevents the mounting of partitions in linux if you should need to use a live linux disk to recover your files should Windows no longer boot. 

https://www.howtogeek.com/243901/the-pros-and-cons-of-windows-10s-fast-startup-mode/

I would also disable 10's ability to autoupdate drivers.

https://www.howtogeek.com/243901/the-pros-and-cons-of-windows-10s-fast-startup-mode/

Hopefully you don't get wifi issues after the update if using wifi but because you are going from 8.1 you should be okay.

#7 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,597 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2017 - 07:36 PM

I always keep my fast start enabled, I like the way my system runs this way. Also, I also keep autoupdate drivers enabled, I feel that this is best for my system.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#8 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,520 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2017 - 08:09 PM

I always keep my fast start enabled, I like the way my system runs this way. Also, I also keep autoupdate drivers enabled, I feel that this is best for my system.

Rocky,

There is no right or wrong answer, as so much depends on your hardware.

I do not use Fast Startup because I have seen far too many instances of some really ugly and inexplicable issues with Windows 10 when the hiberfile becomes corrupted.  The increase in start up speed on my machine is minimal when it's on, and now that I have Creators Update my machine is booting faster with it off than it ever did with it on in prior versions of Win10.

I have autoupdate for drivers on for my system because ones in the class that are one of the problematic ones for autoupdate (and I've seen video and audio drivers for third party hardware fall into the "problematic" category) are being handled by third party autoupdate utilities that I run along with Windows 10.  AMD keeps my video drivers updated and Windows has not been tinkering with them.   Others have not been so lucky.

My attitude is to always disable Fast Startup because of what I've seen and leave autoupdate for drivers on until or unless you experience Windows making bum choices for your particular machine.  If that occurs then correct them and turn it off.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#9 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,597 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2017 - 03:10 AM

Brian, You are exactly right and that is why I worded my comment the way I did. JohnC's comments expressed his opinion and wanted the OP to know that there is another side to the coin.

About the Creators Update. It is the slowest version of Windows on my system that I have ever run. On this system I have run about 25 or 30 different builds of Windows 10 because I am a Windows 10 Insider, but the Creators Update is the slowest of the bunch. About 2 weeks ago I did a complete clean install to a brand new SSD and my start up time is close to 30 seconds. I have worked on this and tried everything that I know of and I can't seem to get any faster than about 25 seconds. Previous versions of Windows 10 took about 10 seconds to start up, so this is a big deal for me.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#10 ScarXL

ScarXL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2017 - 04:54 AM

That's what I was worried about, driver auto-updating. I'll make sure to disable it since some newer drivers are problematic for me.

Thanks for the answers, I already have fast startup disabled since hibernation was messing with my user accounts. I'll make sure to disable that as well.

I'll give Windows 10 a try soon, but is it okay if I download it from here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade

#11 ScarXL

ScarXL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2017 - 08:35 AM

I think you can get it for free there, but I am not sure about something. The OS is for people using Assistive Technologies so maybe it's different?

I am downloading an ISO from the Media Creation Tool (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10).

Edited by ScarXL, 14 April 2017 - 08:35 AM.

#12 ScarXL

ScarXL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2017 - 08:37 AM

Okay it finished creating the ISO, I will install it now. See you guys after it's done hopefully everything goes well.

I gave Windows 10 a year for apps to become compatible with it and it's about time I get it.

The assistant said my specs are perfect for it and all my apps are compatible, files will be left where they were.

Edited by ScarXL, 14 April 2017 - 08:37 AM.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,244 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2017 - 08:45 AM

This is the exact same version as what is downloaded using the Media Creation Tool. Microsoft gives it for free if you are a person who uses Assistive Technologies. These are people who require magnifiers, screen readers, and other hardware because of disabilities. Microsoft provides this download using the honor system. 

#14 ScarXL

ScarXL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2017 - 08:54 AM

Okay thanks for answering, I am installing through the ISO now

#15 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,520 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2017 - 08:54 AM

Rocky,

I am actually shocked that Creators Update is the slowest of all for you.  It's definitely not on my machine.  Of course, we're clearly used to different startup times.  A thirty second startup time would have been considered lightning fast by me (and I'm talking sans Fast Startup).   Since I do not shutdown/restart my machine or even restart my machine frequently (and usually due to an update) startup times, so long as they're not glacially slow, on the order of minutes, plural, don't bother me.  It's how the machine behaves when it's running that I'm most concerned about.

For all readers,

The Windows 10 Upgrade for Accessibility Technology Users results in a 100% typical Windows 10 installation.   Even though Microsoft has left this "wide open" I hesitate to suggest that anyone other than users of accessibility technology avail themselves of that offer fearing it could be closed down.  Folks using third party accessibility technology had very, very good reason to need to wait until all of the early kinks got shaken out of Windows 10 before upgrading.  For the rest of us, myself included, that one year window should have been more than adequate to make the decision to upgrade for free or to wait even longer and, as a result, needing to buy Windows 10.  I really hope that they keep this offer open for at least another full year as some of my clients might now be safe in upgrading because the issues between their AT and Windows 10 have been resolved.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users