Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

After a windows update "Reboot and select proper boot device" (64bit)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Purenorth

Purenorth

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 13 April 2017 - 03:36 PM

Updated one day, went to bed, next day, hard drive isn't working.

So I'm not certain if maybe my hard drive just died coincidentally when I downloaded microsofts april updates or it was the actual cause. The hard drive is an OCZ agility 3.
So far I've:
-Swapped cables
-Tested in two separate pc's, both gave me the same result, tried to access it from one pc from within windows itself and it wouldn't show up under my computer but it would show up under the remove devices prompt.
-Tried using the official SSD utility and while it would detect it, it wouldn't properly analyze it, it would just give me "100% life left" when I've had the drive for over 3 years.
-Tried using the windows repair disc only to be told it isn't compatible with the OS on the hard drive and I should also mention that through both the SSD utility program and the windows repair disc itself, it says the drive is completely empty.

However, having said all this it isn't a huge loss, the hard drive was small, I didn't store anything on it and mainly just used it to store windows 7 while my others held everything else. I just wanted to get an opinion from those who know much more about this than I and to confirm that I've done (mostly) what I could do to potentially fix the problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,975 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2017 - 03:53 PM

When you tested the drive in the other PCs was it installed as a Secondary drive? You could run Seatools for Windows and do the short/long test on the drive.

http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/005706en

When the drive was attached to the other PCs was the drive given assigned a letter in Disk Management? Did Disk Management list the drive as RAW?

#3 Purenorth

Purenorth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2017 - 04:42 PM

When you tested the drive in the other PCs was it installed as a Secondary drive? You could run Seatools for Windows and do the short/long test on the drive.

http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/005706en

When the drive was attached to the other PCs was the drive given assigned a letter in Disk Management? Did Disk Management list the drive as RAW?

Well, one pc is mine but it is running xp, the other is my room mates and all I did on his was try to see if it would boot, I didn't try anything beyond that. Now that he's here, I've done just that and it says it is 55.9 gb of unallocated space (it's 60gb, like I said small). I've not ran Seatools yet but by this point I wonder if I should even bother but since you took the time to help me I may as well give it a shot.

Update: I did the short, long, SMART, and short drive self test and all passed.

Edited by Purenorth, 13 April 2017 - 05:05 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,975 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2017 - 05:55 PM

If your are not worried about data on the drive you can reinstall Windows on the drive. If you have a valid OEM or retail key use this tool for the latest iso build of your version. Because the drive passed all tests I would have to hazard a guess this is some kind of file system corruption keeping Windows 7 from booting. Perhaps the BCD is corrupt.

You can also use the install disk created from the iso file to do a Automatic Repair. It may take up to three attempts to complete the repair. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users