Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't load windows 10

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 tranmererovers

tranmererovers

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 13 April 2017 - 01:38 PM

Hi and thanks in advance for your help.

My friend has passed me her laptop on account of me being slightly more technical minded than she is!!!

So in brief, windows 10 will not load, it's unable to do an automatic startup repair, I can't roll back to a previous state with system restore, I can get it to load in safe mode the only thing I have done so far is got to a command prompt in the advanced options and done the following .

I have managed to run a CHKDSK /f which completed successfully

I have tried sfc /scannow and get the message that windows resource protection could not perform the requested operation

I have tried DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth and get the message that DISM does not support servicing windows PE with the /Online option

I have also downloaded a windows install onto USB and changed the boot options but cannot do a reinstall of that as window's hasn't loaded.??

Any help gratefully received

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,028 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 13 April 2017 - 02:29 PM

And what pray tell do you get when you try to boot up the machine? A BSOD? A black screen? :wink:

Regards,

bwv848

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#3 tranmererovers

tranmererovers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2017 - 02:33 PM

Thanks for your reply :) i get the Acer logo and a spinning set of dots, followed by your pc ran in to a problem and needs to restart, then back to the acer logo and then a message saying preparing automatic repair at the bottom  then diagnosing your PC and then a screen with Automatic Repair, your pc did not start correctly, from there I can restart or go into advanced options.

#4 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,028 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2017 - 02:36 PM

Ah, so you're getting a BSOD. Since you can access Safe Mode, can zip up the contents of C:\Windows\Minidump and attach them in your next reply?

Regards,
bwv848

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#5 tranmererovers

tranmererovers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2017 - 02:48 PM

Thank you - hope I have done this correctly :)

Attached Files

#6 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,028 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2017 - 02:54 PM

You did just fine. :) The latest dump files indicate that you had STOP 0x0000007A: KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR bugchecks. This is probably due to a faulty hard drive. Please run Seagate SeaTools for Windows. Be sure to test all your drives with the S.M.A.R.T. and Long Generic tests.

Regards,
bwv848

#7 tranmererovers

tranmererovers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2017 - 02:59 PM

Sorry stupid question - have downloaded the exe file to my computer and transferred it to problematic one, can see the file on the usb drive but if I type in seatoolsforwindowssetup from the F drive I get that the version is not compatible with the version of windows I am running?  How can I run this?

I have successfully run a chkdsk /r and /f since the time of that last dump which did fix some errors

Edited by tranmererovers, 13 April 2017 - 03:05 PM.

#8 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,028 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2017 - 03:05 PM

Strange, what happens when you run SeaToolsforWindowsSetup.exe as the administrator?

#9 tranmererovers

tranmererovers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2017 - 03:06 PM

Same message :(

I have successfully run a chkdsk /r and /f since the time of that last dump which did fix some errors

#10 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,028 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2017 - 03:09 PM

Alright, let's get the CHKDSK log instead then:

• Click Start, enter powershell.exe in the Search box, right-click on powershell.exe, and then click Run as administrator.
  • Copy this command:
Get-WinEvent -FilterHashTable @{logname="Application"; id="1001"}| ?{$_.providername –match "wininit"} | fl timecreated, message | out-file $Env:UserProfile\Desktop\CHKDSKResults.txt
  • Right-click in Powershell to paste the command.
  • You will find CHKDSKResults.txt on your Desktop. Copy/paste that log in your next reply.

#11 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,028 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2017 - 03:10 PM

Also, please publish a snapshot with Speccy, so I can have a look at the S.M.A.R.T. data...

:step1: Speccy by Piriform

• Download and save Speccy from here.
  • Navigate to the directory in which you saved the ZIP file.
  • Right-click on the downloaded ZIP file, click Extract all, taking note of where the files will be extracted, and then hit Extract.
  • Open up the extracted folder, right-click on Speccy64.exe (or Speccy.exe, if your system is 32-bit), and select Run as administrator. Please accept any User Account Control prompts.
  • After waiting a while, click File, then Publish Snapshot.
  • Hit Yes to the Publish Snapshot dialog, then click Copy to Clipboard. Paste the URL in your next reply.

#12 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,028 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2017 - 03:10 PM

And... run MiniToolBox please...

:step1: MiniToolBox by Farbar

• Download and save MiniToolBox from here.
  • Navigate to the directory in which you saved the file.
  • Right-click on MiniToolBox.exe, select Run as administrator, and accept any User Account Control Prompts.
  • Hit Select All and click Go. (You may uncheck Reset IE Proxy/FF Proxy Settings if you have intentionally setup a proxy server.)
  • Once MiniToolBox is complete, it will open a text file called MTB.txt, which is stored in the same directory you ran MiniToolBox from.
  • Please copy and paste the contents of MTB.txt in your next reply.

#13 tranmererovers

tranmererovers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2017 - 03:15 PM

Sorry - probably being totally thick here but the only thing I can do is get to a command prompt via troubleshoot / advanced options .  

#14 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,028 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2017 - 03:17 PM

But you said you could get into Safe Mode? :)

#15 tranmererovers

tranmererovers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2017 - 03:19 PM

So sorry - that was a typo - should have read I can't get it to load safe mode :(

Edited by tranmererovers, 13 April 2017 - 03:20 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users