Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU Overclocking Fail! Press f1 to enter BIOS...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Richard_Ballan

Richard_Ballan

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 13 April 2017 - 12:59 PM

I've been getting this error every now and then. It always happens after some incident where i lose my fps or a game crashes. The weirdest part is that i have a non-K CPU and do not have ambitions to overclock anything! Going through BIOS, not changing anything and carrying on to windows is enough to fix this problem, but it's still inconvenient and i want it gone. Also, the FPS drops and weird crashes that rarely happen should not be happening at all. 

My rig:

- Motherboard: Asus Maximus VIII Ranger Z170 (DDR4)

- CPU: intel skylake i7-6700 3.40 GHz

- RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 2400

- GPU: Asus Nvidea GeForce 980ti Strix 

I've been researching a bit about this issue and can't quite pin down the cause. It could be, in my limited knowledge, one of the three causing the issue:
 - BIOS version - Too scared to update it if not necessary. Inconsistent power where i live.

- wrong RAM frequency - It's possible my RAM is being OCd without my knowledge. 
 - CPU overheating - using the cooler fan that came with it but I clean and change the thermal paste every 5-6 months. 

Any ideas how i can make this PC great again? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,316 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2017 - 02:24 PM

You have cooler that come with CPU, meaning boxed cooler? It sucks, get better one.

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 13 April 2017 - 03:02 PM

I've had this on my Asus motherboard, ASUS P9X79 DELUXE LGA 2011 Intel X79, also.  If it is happening too frequently try replacing the CMOS battery.  If it doesn't happen all that often just exit out of the BIOS and the machine should boot normally.

#4 Richard_Ballan

Richard_Ballan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2017 - 09:27 PM

You have cooler that come with CPU, meaning boxed cooler? It sucks, get better one.

Yeah i heard... wish i knew that when ordering the parts. I'll get one first thing in the morning and try to replicate the error. The problem is i'm not sure how... 

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 13 April 2017 - 09:58 PM

I've had this on my Asus motherboard

An Asus N4L-VM DH that I ran for many years also did this from time to time. It was never run in anything other than bog-standard configuration, and I applied each BIOS update on release in case it was an issue that had been identified and addressed. It did it until the system was retired a year or three ago.

Edited by Platypus, 13 April 2017 - 09:59 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 herbman

herbman

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 16 April 2017 - 11:20 PM

The Skylake i7 6700 runs exceptionally cool ,   i have not heard of a single instance of anybody replacing the stock cooler .   From what i have read updating the BIOS is the most recommended option but you don't want to do that.

Unless you have the XMP profile switched on in BIOS the ram speed will down clock to 2133 which is normal , i would watch the CPU's temperatures closely and report back .

Edited by herbman, 16 April 2017 - 11:21 PM.

#7 Richard_Ballan

Richard_Ballan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2017 - 04:41 PM

I did a stress test and i did not like the CPU temperatures. I don't even know if this will solve the problem but it's something else to sort out anyway. Will post updates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users