I've been getting this error every now and then. It always happens after some incident where i lose my fps or a game crashes. The weirdest part is that i have a non-K CPU and do not have ambitions to overclock anything! Going through BIOS, not changing anything and carrying on to windows is enough to fix this problem, but it's still inconvenient and i want it gone. Also, the FPS drops and weird crashes that rarely happen should not be happening at all.
- Motherboard: Asus Maximus VIII Ranger Z170 (DDR4)
- CPU: intel skylake i7-6700 3.40 GHz
- RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 2400
- GPU: Asus Nvidea GeForce 980ti Strix
- OS: Windows 7
I've been researching a bit about this issue and can't quite pin down the cause. It could be, in my limited knowledge, one of the three causing the issue:
- BIOS version - Too scared to update it if not necessary. Inconsistent power where i live.
- wrong RAM frequency - It's possible my RAM is being OCd without my knowledge.
- CPU overheating - using the cooler fan that came with it but I clean and change the thermal paste every 5-6 months.
Any ideas how i can make this PC great again?