Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox Help > Connection is not secure error.....

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 magicshaw

magicshaw

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 13 April 2017 - 06:08 AM

In my firefox some of the pages show this error when i click on the littel "I" on the left side of the adrs bar. some google results show up as pictured below.

I use Kaspersky as my security.

Can anyone help me out to solve this "error" please ??

not%20secure%202_zpsoluh1hkm.jpg

not%20secure%201_zpsutkufgwy.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,979 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2017 - 06:21 AM

This is perfectly normal. It means that the site in question is using http and not https. I just checked ebay.co.uk and I get the same.

Click on the "i" icon in Firefox when on Bleeping Computer, and it should say "Secure Connection."

#3 magicshaw

magicshaw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2017 - 06:33 AM

Thanks.

Yes, it was a longstanding issue in my main PC with vista but it also shows up in my laptop with win 7. both have Kaspesky 2016.

i think its the certificate issue with KIS 2016.

#4 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,979 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2017 - 06:41 AM

Ah, it looks like there is a problem with the certificate for www.alakazam.co.uk. When I try to connect using Firefox, I get the same message as you:

The owner of www.alakazam.co.uk has configured their web site improperly. To protect your information from being stolen, Firefox has not connected to this web site.

This is a completely separate issue to the "Connection is not Secure" message that you see when clicking on the "i" in Firefox on sites such as ebay.co.uk however, which as I mentioned, is solely because the site uses http.

Edited by Al1000, 13 April 2017 - 06:41 AM.

#5 magicshaw

magicshaw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2017 - 06:43 AM

Also on my ebay page there is no http at the front.

Is this normal ??

#6 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,979 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2017 - 06:54 AM

Yes, completely normal. It's quite common for sites nowadays to not show the http:// part of the address in your browser, and to just show www.ebay.co.uk. :)

#7 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,008 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 13 April 2017 - 08:10 AM

As an aside, for those who would prefer secure connections to be forced pretty much wherever they can be, the HTTPS Everywhere add-on/extension (depending on the web browser we're talking about) is your friend.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#8 magicshaw

magicshaw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2017 - 08:24 AM

Thanks britechguy

#9 orlbuckeye

orlbuckeye

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 14 April 2017 - 09:15 AM

The Https means a secure website. An extra layer of security is added at those sites.

• Alienware 18 Intel Core i7 4810 QM 16GB DDR3
  • 18.4" (1920 x1080) 
  • 1 TB Samsung EVO MSATA SSD 1 TB WD 5400 RPM HD 750 GB WD 5400 RPM HD
  • Nvidia GT 860 GM SLI graphics
  • Windows 10 Pro + Surface Book i5 256gb SSD 8gb RAM DGPU

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users