Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MBR or GPT

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 richierein

richierein

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 13 April 2017 - 12:13 AM

I will be installing Windows 10 Pro 64bit on a new custom PC with a 1tb primary disk only.  I've been reading about the difference between GPT and MBR disks and I'm undecided about which format to use.  I've never had a computer using GPT and I'm a bit nervous about making this change.  Can someone offer me suggestions or recommendations?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 13 April 2017 - 12:21 AM

Maybe following tutorial can help you make your mind up.

Introducing Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI)

Posted Image

#3 richierein

richierein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 13 April 2017 - 12:58 AM

Thank you for this link but much of the technical information provided is beyond my scope.  I am sure my new system will support UEFI.  I am not planning to have more than four partitions on this drive and its capacity is less than 2.2gb.  What benefits does GPT provide?  Is the secure boot feature available on MBR drives?  Rather than a technical report, I am seeking a recommendation as to which format will give me the best system performance and protection in the future.  Is the disk format totally tranparent once the operating system is loaded?

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 13 April 2017 - 01:41 AM

The Secure Boot is feature of UEFI firmware and you need GPT disk to use Secure Boot.  MBR disk support disk storage size of 2.2 terabytes (TB) where as GPT disk support 9.4 zettabytes (ZB).  The MBR can only define up to four primary partitions on a disk of just under 2.2TB in maximum size, BIOS based systems cannot boot from a drive that is 2.2TB or greater in capacity. The GPT  format design that supports up to 128 partitions on a disk of up to 9.4 zettabytes (ZB, where 1 zettabyte = 1 billion terabytes or 1 sextillion bytes).

Posted Image

#5 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,756 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 13 April 2017 - 05:33 AM

Just use MBR and you will be fine. I built this new high tech PC and I still use MBR and I don't notice any difference. Everytime that I do a clean install of Windows I just do it and I let the cards fall where they will. If I end up with MBR or GPT it does not make any difference.

On a different note. Is that 1 tb drive an old fashioned spinning hard drive or a new SSD? Your system would be much faster and secure and durable if you add a little 250 gb SSD just for your C: drive and use the 1 tb drive just for your data.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users