Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU Overheating - Suggestions?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JohnZe

JohnZe

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 12 April 2017 - 11:43 PM

Hello All,

I built my first computer (specs below) just over a year ago, everything was running fine until about a month ago when the CPU temperature started going crazy. When the computer was idle it would be at 90+. I've not overclocked it or anything. When it was running well  the temp when idle would go between 30-40 then up to 50-70 when running intensive games/apps. I read the temp purely by the digital gauge built in to the motherboard.

1. I assumed it was the cooler, so I reapplied paste, same thing. Contacted Corsair for troubleshooting and tried their suggestions, still happened.
  2. I installed the stock cooler and things got better, however when idle all of a sudden the temp spikes up to 90, it'll stay there for a bit then go back to 30-40. Basically it is all over the place. I can be doing nothing away from my comp, it will be at 35, stay like that for 10 mins, then without even touching it it'll spike to 99, go up and down for about for a varying amount of time, then head back down to the 30s for a while, then start all over again. When I do anything even remotely intensive, like run Hearthstone, GS:GO or Fallout on low settings, it stays between 85-99. It used to not go above 60 when I ran these games on ultra settings
  3. It is well ventilated. 
  4. I restored all drives to factory settings and reinstalled Windows 10, still happens

So I know it cannot be a cooler issue, right, as I've tried 2 now and it is still happening?

I know it can't be a virus, as I reformatted.

What else can it be?

I'm so broke right now I can't afford to take it a computer shop, but if I can figure out what is going on I should be able to afford to replace the specific part, or maybe it is under warranty.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks,

JohnZe

Windows 10

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler 
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 980 4GB STRIX Video Card  
Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard 

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory   
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  
Case: NZXT Phantom 530 (White) ATX Full Tower Case  
Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,025 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 13 April 2017 - 07:58 AM

Just based on your description have you considered that this might be a bad temperature sensor rather than an actual temperature problem?

The wild fluctuation at idle (or any time, really, you tend to ramp up and ramp down, even if that's relatively quickly) makes me suspicious.

Just had another member who was reporting "hot running" on an i7, but in a laptop, when it would top out around 80 degrees during heavy use.  See:  High CPU Temperature.  Help! in the Windows 10 Support Forum.

Given that the temperature at which this CPU would start throttling is 100 C and would shut down very shortly after it also seems odd that you're not seeing any behavioral issues if you were really at 99 C and staying there.  There are plenty of recorded cases of the i7 series running in the 90s under load, though, but that seems more common in the more confined spaces of a laptop.

What utility are you using to look at the temperature?  Are you able to use a thermometer on the heat sink to see if there's actually a somewhat corresponding change in temperature there when these spikes occur, as when you're going from 30 C to 90 C that should be very easy to detect.  You might even be able to feel that there's been a change in the temperature of the vent air that's significant.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,445 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 13 April 2017 - 09:20 AM

Hey JohnZe,

I would remove the case cover and also physically grab the heat sink and see how it feels to touch and it should only be warm to mildly hot.

If this is the case then the heat sink and fan are doing their job.

When you reapplied thermal compound did you apply only a small amount as too much is not good.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/intel_application_method.html#

Also make certain your heat sink is secured to the motherboard correctly and evenly.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 13 April 2017 - 12:36 PM

Just based on your description have you considered that this might be a bad temperature sensor rather than an actual temperature problem?

The wild fluctuation at idle (or any time, really, you tend to ramp up and ramp down, even if that's relatively quickly) makes me suspicious.

There are several temperature sensors (each core temp can be monitored individually, as well as the motherboards own temp sensor).  It would probably be sensible to check they confirm each other.  Core temps (can be read with HWMonitor) read higher than the motherboard temp sensor.

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2017 - 01:03 PM

Also wondering if this PC is overclocked. An overclocked i7 will overheat and thermal throttle on a stock cooler under any heavier load. The stock Intel cooler is not up to it.

Edit I see now you say it's not, but note the 4790K is aggressively clocked as standard. I would not rely on a standard Intel cooler for long.

Edited by jonuk76, 13 April 2017 - 01:06 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#6 JohnZe

JohnZe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2017 - 02:31 AM

Thank you everyone, appreciate you all trying to help. 

I Downloaded HWmonitor as jonuk76 suggested and the temp indicated on the motherboard display is consistent with temp indicated in the app. 

I just noticed an something interesting:

The temp spike is far more evident when my VPN is running, and:
The temp spike seems to be correlated (but not caused) to network activity, and by that I mean when I'm downloading. For instance I'm re-installing/downloading some games (as mentioned I wiped all drives). I open Steam, temp stays 30-40. Open battle.net, temp stays same. Start to DL one game from steam, temp spiked (80-99) for entire download (DL), DL finished, temp went back down. Left it for a bit (all while VPN off), temp stays down. Start DL another game, temp goes right back up to 80-99 for entire DL. DL just finsihed and we are back down to 40.

So when VPN client is on, it goes mad. When DL, it goes mad. 

It seems too crazy to be a coincidence?

Either way it is so frustearing.

Idle with VPN: Spiking high (30-99)
Idle without VPN: low (30-40, although this is based on observations over the last 30 mins)
Idle without VPN and Steam running: (30-40)
Idle without VPN and Steam downloading (but nothing else) (80-99)

WTF is going on!!

It is so frustrating as I cannot afford to get it checked out but I'm also no tekky enough to try to action some of your very welcome reccommendations. Some of my buddies are though so keep them coming and I'll get them around to help even it involes a headlock.

Sincere thanks,

JohnZe

#7 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2017 - 04:33 AM

The temperature should be correlated with CPU activity.  If you keep an eye on HW Monitor you can see the CPU utilisation and speed, and how it affects the temperature.  

7WoV9Cc.png

30 at idle is fine, but spiking to 99 degrees under probably moderate load is not good..

Note the Intel stock cooler can be fitted so that it has imperfect contact.  The best way to do it is by pushing down each pair of diagonally opposed push pins together (2 at a time).  It is also useful to have access to the back side of the motherboard to check that the pins have engaged correctly.  Most newer cases have square cut outs in the CPU area to allow you to do this without removing the mobo.

7sbvuf-6.png

#8 JohnZe

JohnZe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2017 - 09:15 PM

I disabled my VPN and things seem to be a lot better (but not as good as it was for the first year...), I am confused! I'll keep an eye on it over the next week or so.

Thanks all (esp Jonuk)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users