Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is New.net Domain Softwares A Virus

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 dreamfall

dreamfall

• Banned
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 05 September 2006 - 05:05 PM

when i install any themes from themexp.org i have no way except of accepting to intall new.net domain softwares,
but after finishing the installation my norton antivirus says it is a virus.
what must i do now?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,744 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 06 September 2006 - 07:38 AM

NewDotNet is an adware program that associates non-existent domain-names with sponsored content. When an user enters a keyword into a browser address bar or attempts to resolve a mistaken or non-existent URL, NewDotNet redirects the user to a sponsored page. It uses an add-on plugin for Windows that makes subdomains of new.net act as new top-level domains without changing the normal DNS servers. It comprises a Winsock2 LSP that makes the extra top-level domains visible, and an IE BHO that redirects searches from the browser’s address bar to NewDotNet’s search engines at qsrch.com and the popup-filled search.findsall.info. The BHO download updates from its controlling server at client.new.tech or upgrade.new.tech.

This type of software is sometimes quietly installed by unrelated software such as file-sharing programs without the user's knowledge or consent. In many cases, the user does not know of its existance until something goes wrong and they can no longer access Web sites. It is often bundled with file-sharing utilities, DVD player software, and other free downloads distributed by KaZaA, Go!Zilla, Babylon, Cydoor, Gdivx, and WebShots.

Although Newdotnet does not claim to be spyware, it has been associated with computer instability according to MS Knowledge Base Article 302463.

I suggest you remove NewDotNet. As a Winsock2 LSP, removing NewDotNet improperly will result in loss of internet connectivity. The recommended removal method is using Add/Remove programs. If you choose to remove it, go to Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove programs and uninstall New.net Application or New.net Domains if listed. If it is not listed, then follow the removal instructions here. Procedure 4 requires you to download and run NNuninstall.exe.

Note: Because New.Net affects the Internet access on a computer, sometimes after removing it, you won't be able access the Internet. So before you start, please download LSPFix by Cexx.org or Winsock XP Fix and save to your computer or a usb stick. If you have loss of Internet connectivity after removing New.Net, then run either of the tools to fix the broken Winsock connections.

Edited by quietman7, 06 September 2006 - 07:39 AM.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users