Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I need help, I've accepted defeat trying to solve on my own

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ZaMtv

ZaMtv

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 12 April 2017 - 08:55 PM

Backstory of the PC: 

I have been trying to help my friend with his PC build, he is not tech savvy and I have been providing the best tech support that I can. I helped him pick the parts and get everything set up. The PC, as far as I am aware is built correctly, my friend took it to Geek Squad and double checked the build themselves.

My friend is a partnered streamer on Twitch and used his tax return to build this machine. After the system was built, we ran it successfully on different occasions. We moved on to overclocking and I overclocked through ASUS AI Suite and everything seemed normal. Then the first BSOD occured and it was DPC Watchdog Violation. This seemed normal.

However, after a prolonged period the error kept persisting. We reset back to factory defaults in the UEFI BIOS. No dice. The error still persisted. We reformatted the PC, and reinstalled Windows 10. The issue persisted. I researched the error and through trial and error we identified, or so we thought, that the issue was coming from the Elgato HD 60 Pro. We removed it from the system. No issue occurred for the next two weeks. 

Fast Forward to now and today alone we have ran into 3-4 different BSOD's. The first was INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR, I attempted to fix the first one which appeared to require a driver update of the Graphics Card. Updated that. Ran into next BSOD a few hours later and that was SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXEMPTION. Then another two MEMORY_MANAGEMENT, not sure if the same exact error code but the logs should reveal that to someone more knowledgeable than I.

And now I'm here. I'm not sure if the Overclock fried the CPU and that is what is causing the BSOD's or what. However, we need a definitive answer as to what is wrong with this PC. 

I have literally tried every solution that I know of and every Google search solution to fix many of this issues and they keep persisting.

· OS - Windows 8.1, 8, 7, Vista? Windows 10 Home

· x86 (32-bit) or x64 ? 64-bit
· What was original installed OS on system? Windows 10 Home
· Is the OS an OEM version (came pre-installed on system) or full retail version (YOU purchased it from retailer)? Purchased from a retailer
· Age of system (hardware) 2 months
· Age of OS installation - have you re-installed the OS? ~2 weeks, just reinstalled not too long ago.

· CPU - Intel Core i7 6800k

· RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
· Video Card - EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Superclocked Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card
· MotherBoard - Asus X99-PRO/USB 3.1 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard
· Power Supply - EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 1000W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
· Full system build here
· System Manufacturer - Custom built
· Laptop or Desktop? Desktop

Attached Files

Edited by ZaMtv, 12 April 2017 - 09:19 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,482 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 12 April 2017 - 09:19 PM

What happens if you return the clock to its default clock-speed, or, is it too late to try that?

I'm grasping at straws because your opening is very thorough, very informative, over my head.

Edited by RolandJS, 12 April 2017 - 09:21 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#3 ZaMtv

ZaMtv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2017 - 09:38 PM

What happens if you return the clock to its default clock-speed, or, is it too late to try that?

I'm grasping at straws because your opening is very thorough, very informative, over my head.

After we removed the Elgato HD 60 Pro we reset the overclock to the default clock speeds and factory reset all of the UEFI BIOS settings. We ran multiple stress test's after we reset the UEFI/BIOS and checked temperatures and under 100% load with Prime95 the CPU stayed within all expectations. CPU thermal's checked out around 65 degrees Celsius. It ran for several hours. The clock speed didn't go above the max turbo frequency of 3.6Ghz. 

The PC didn't BSOD until two weeks later, today.

Edited by ZaMtv, 12 April 2017 - 09:55 PM.

#4 ZaMtv

ZaMtv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2017 - 02:22 PM

Anyone else have any suggestions?

#5 ZaMtv

ZaMtv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2017 - 02:57 PM

Two new Bluescreens have happened now since yesterday. SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED and UNEXPECTED_KERNAL_MODE_TRAP (mouhid.sys). 

Edited by ZaMtv, 13 April 2017 - 02:57 PM.

#6 ZaMtv

ZaMtv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2017 - 07:40 PM

UPDATE: We went and removed the CMOS battery then put it back in and updated the BIOS and went through every single device in Device Manager and checked for updates to every driver. A few things needed to be updated and we will find out later if this resolves the issue. Will keep this thread posted. 

Edited by ZaMtv, 13 April 2017 - 07:41 PM.

#7 ZaMtv

ZaMtv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2017 - 04:20 PM

Updating the BIOS, removing the CMOS battery, and checking every driver did not fix the BSOD's. Any help would be greatly appreciated. A new BSOD has occurred: ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY.

#8 legodude

legodude

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2017 - 05:37 PM

When I used to overclock, I found that nominal memory faults were gretly amplified.

Maybe remove all but one memory stick and test your rig out?

Asus X99-PRO is a well-designed board with multiple O.C. safety features so I can't really see it frying your CPU...

#9 ZaMtv

ZaMtv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2017 - 09:49 PM

When I used to overclock, I found that nominal memory faults were gretly amplified.

Maybe remove all but one memory stick and test your rig out?

Asus X99-PRO is a well-designed board with multiple O.C. safety features so I can't really see it frying your CPU...

We're in the process of testing if it is a faulty graphics card. We were going to test the RAM but haven't deemed it necessary as we ran 6 passes (yes I know 8 is recommended) of Memtest86, with no errors. We've also tested the memory in other ways and still no errors of RAM. After we test the graphics card with an older one (GTX 960) and if that results with no errors and Bluescreens I don't know whether to conclude it's just the graphics card or if there is another issue.

Edited by ZaMtv, 17 April 2017 - 10:13 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users