Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Buying a monitor.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Exoclap

Exoclap

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 12 April 2017 - 07:06 PM

Hey guys I'm currently buying a new monitor and my budget is around 270$. I wanted to pick up a good 27" 1080p monitor but people said that monitors with that resolution and size do not look that good since they are kinda blurry and you can see the pixels.

So I want to get a good 24" monitor with at least 5 ms response time and good colors since I will be watching a lot of movies and playing a lot of video games. The thing is when I'm going around looking for monitors I don't understand the contrast thing. Sometimes it say 5000:1 with dynamic contrast and sometimes 1000:1 with static or native contrast. I wouldn't mind if the monitor would be running at 144 Hz

Would love if you guys would suggest any monitors to me and explain this contrast thing. Thank you so much for all the help !

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,407 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 13 April 2017 - 02:53 PM

The first question is how close to 40 years old are you?  If you're older than 40 you shouldn't have a problem with a 27" 1080p monitor.  I have three ASUS VZ279H monitors on my desk at home and don't have any issues with pixels, and I'm past 40 years.  I use the left one for web browsing (at 125%), the center one for World of Warcraft, and the right one for movies.

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2017 - 12:25 PM

The first question is how close to 40 years old are you?  If you're older than 40 you shouldn't have a problem with a 27" 1080p monitor.  I have three ASUS VZ279H monitors on my desk at home and don't have any issues with pixels, and I'm past 40 years.  I use the left one for web browsing (at 125%), the center one for World of Warcraft, and the right one for movies.

It also depends on how close to the monitor you sit. While the normal "computer distance" is about 1.5 feet or so, I have seen some people sit about 2 to 2.5 feet from a computer screen (personally, my monitor is about 1.5 feet from my face). The further one sits from a 27" 1920x1080/1200 screen, the less blocky/"pixely" it will seem.

But, I agree that age can be a factor too. My older than 40 year old eyes now need reading glasses (they are progressive with very, very slight magnification for main viewing of things like computer screen, about 0.5 if memory serves, and a little more magnification for reading out the bottom, about +1.0 if memory serves). But, then I am use a 27" 2560x1440 resolution screen, so it gets a little blurry without the glasses. I imagine that a 27" 1920x1080/1200 (I tend to buy 16:10 monitors, so it is usually 1920x1200 for my monitors) might now be OK for me, but in the past I usually limited my 1920x1080/1200 monitors to 24".

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2017 - 12:41 PM

So I want to get a good 24" monitor with at least 5 ms response time and good colors since I will be watching a lot of movies and playing a lot of video games. The thing is when I'm going around looking for monitors I don't understand the contrast thing. Sometimes it say 5000:1 with dynamic contrast and sometimes 1000:1 with static or native contrast. I wouldn't mind if the monitor would be running at 144 Hz[/size]

A lot of the differences are marketing smoke and mirrors. The problem is that there is no real standardizations that all monitor makers use for real comparison. I am not directly (i.e. in my memory) knowledgable about the issue, but have read about it in the past, so I cannot give a good solid and detail explanation without fully refreshing my memory. This article might help (if you can find the annoying autoplay audio on the page and shut it up...I hate websites that do that):

https://www.cnet.com/news/just-whats-so-dynamic-about-contrast-ratio-anyway/

BTW, you can get a decent (different people define "good" differently, thus why I use decent) 27" 2560x1440 monitor for about $220. I bought the previous version of this monitor:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009969

(same model, just no "K2...this is the page for the one I bought more than a year ago: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009849)

It works pretty well. The speakers suck, but then I don't use them. The color is OK, but then I don't do things that require extreme color accuracy so I don't know how well it performs in that area. The stand is not great, but then I use a monitor arm instead anyway. I mainly bought it for the size and resolution and connectors (it has a DisplayPort as well as DVI and HDMI). And I am not too terribly picky about monitors. But, I thought I would offer it up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users