Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't boot PC past BIOS screen, turns back off after 15 seconds

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Hellbender32

Hellbender32

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 12 April 2017 - 04:21 PM

Let me start out by saying that I'm not as knowledgeable as a lot of the people on here. I can hold my own, but please be patient with me if I ask for definitions of terms or elaborations on what steps to take and/or how to take them.

I can't boot my ASUS PC past the BIOS screen. I have reason to believe some sort of electrical situation occurred, because the PC is in a shop that I own in a strip mall and the neighbors were also calling electricians this morning. Looks like the power went out for a little while, or maybe there was some type of surge or thunderstorm overnight.

Anyway, attached is a picture of the message I'm getting. I can't boot the computer past it. I press del, nothing happens, I press TAB, it just scrolls between the ASUS screen and the BIOS screen, and if I press F9 like the BIOS screen asks me, nothing happens. It shuts down in 15 seconds, unless I hit the pause/break button, which....just pauses it indefinitely. I also tried mashing F8 while it was booting, but to no avail.

I've been researching on these forums and I'm thinking maybe I have a motherboard issue? If I have to take the casing off I'd need exact instructions on how to proceed. It's been years since I took a computer apart and messed with the inside. But I am more than willing to do it, if that is what I need to do.

I'm a tattoo artist, and I have my hard drive backed up except for the last 2 week's worth of photos, which is a big deal to me because all of my tattoo photos are on there, and 2 weeks' worth is kind of a lot. Scans of drawings that I need for this week are on there, and if I lose them, I'd have to start them all over. Sucks. So I need, at the very least, to extract those files if my PC is totally ******. If that's possible. But I'd like to fix the issue and not have to buy a new PC if I can.

::EDIT:: I also tried unplugging everything that was connected via USB, like the external hard drive and the printer, but that didn't help anything.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,618 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 12 April 2017 - 04:56 PM

You can always try and pull the photos using a USB adapter once the drive is removed from the PC. I use one similar to this

Have you tried powercycling the computer? Remove the main battery and power cord. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Do not replace the main battery but attach the power cord and see if the computer boots past the ASUS logo.

Edit: Because this is a laptop drive you could use an adapter like this which is slightly cheaper. There are two USB A connectors for power vs the power brick.

Edit Edit: I am not familiar with this model but later laptops do not have the ability to remove the main battery easily.

Edited by JohnC_21, 12 April 2017 - 05:00 PM.

#3 Hellbender32

Hellbender32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 12 April 2017 - 07:12 PM

Thank you for all your help! I found the solution. My front case USB must have had a short. I disconnected it and turned the computer back on, and everything worked! This problem is SOLVED ^-^

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,618 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 12 April 2017 - 07:24 PM

Nice Troubleshooting. Thanks for the update.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users