Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Excel document is not in a recognizable format.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sam076

sam076

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 12 April 2017 - 01:03 PM

I am using Microsoft Excel 2013

Everything was running fine until this error message occurs when I opening Excel document: This file is not in a recognizable format.
I could open the document before on Windows 8.1. Now i am on Windows 10.

Is there way to recover Excel?

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 12 April 2017 - 05:29 PM.
Moved from Win 8/8.1 to Win 10 Support.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 12 April 2017 - 05:51 PM

First of all - welcome to BC !..Second, you will see that I have moved your topic to the Win 10 section since you say you are now running Win 10.

If this is an important file then use File Explorer to make a copy of it or to move it to a different drive - a memory stick or anything, this will automatically copy the file so you will still have the original in its original location.

There are two possibilities here. One is that the move to Win 10 has corrupted your installed copy of Excel, the other is that the file has become corrupted.

Against the possibility of file corruption I would try opening it with a different office suite. I would suggest Libre Office, a free open-source suite which you can get from here -

https://www.libreoffice.org/discover/libreoffice/

It is capable of opening almost all the standard MS file formats and, while it has its own file format, it can export/save files in the MS formats. Download Libre Office and see if you can open it in that. If it does open in LO then save it as an .XLSX file but give it a different name and then try opening this file in Excel.

If you can open the file in Libre Office then probably it is a problem with your copy of Excel. do you have the installation media ?  If you do then you should be able to do a 'repair' on Excel. I haven't used v2013 so I cannot be certain it allows for repairs. If it doesn't then just do a re-install of MS Office. If neither of these suggestions work for you, post back.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 sam076

sam076
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2017 - 05:36 AM

I want to say thank you for taking the time to share how to go about fixing this. I shall try everything you suggested

#4 buuckner

buuckner

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2017 - 08:10 AM

Below links with information that may help you resolve this issue:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users