Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New system with Windows 10 - how to set it up?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#31 giantatx

giantatx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 25 April 2017 - 10:18 AM

I think the system builders were just covering their asses lest they get sued.  I think it's somewhat paranoid but then I'd probably do something similar if people were threatening to sue me. 

At least I have the answer now though a factory reset will undo everything I've just been doing for the last week.

Evidently, I prefer the sleep mode option so I don't have to listen to it when I'm sleeping and also to save power when not in use.  16 hrs sleep mode vs 8 hours use.  I know computer components don't use a huge amount of energy but it all adds up.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#32 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 25 April 2017 - 02:28 PM

Every computer needs to sleep when you walk away from the PC, you can not leave your computer up and running 24/7.

We shall simply have to disagree on this point.  My machines, desktop or laptop, are left on 24/7 when they are connected to AC power and always have been.  I very, very seldom shut down my desktop and I sleep or hibernate my laptop once every few weeks at most.

I have never seen the point in sleeping a system unless I intend to transport it and want it to fire up "instantly" upon arrival at its destination.  I hibernate if I know I want the current user state(s) to still be available after transport.  Otherwise the systems run 24/7 and I have yet to have a machine die on me over the course of decades now.  

Brian, I leave my computer on 24/7 and I only use it about 20% of the time, so I really like the sleep state. I have a Evga SuperNova 550 watt G2 and several SSDs in my system, and sleep works wonderfully in my situation. I can not afford the electric bill for a 24/7 computer without sleep.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#33 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 4,940 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 25 April 2017 - 04:45 PM

Rocky,

Since monitors are (at least for the most part) no longer CRT and have energy management (and I turn mine off after 10 minutes of inactivity) and most disc drives will spin themselves down and up again, essentially handling their own sleep, there's not a whole lot of difference in energy consumption between full sleep and just regular inactivity.

I'm not saying that anyone cannot or should not sleep their computers, as that's entirely a personal choice.  I just don't and certainly haven't seen any "wear issues" as a result of not doing so.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website address in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1703, Build 15063

A man's worst difficulties begin when he is able to do as he likes.
              ~ Thomas H. Huxley (1876)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users