Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help identifying hardware failure

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 blopp

blopp

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 12 April 2017 - 07:28 AM

My specs:

All the parts are about 6 years old, except the RAM which is only a few months.

Windows 7 64bit

Sabertooth Z77

Sapphire Radeon 7950 HD 3GB

Corsair HX 1050

Intel i7 3770

2x HyperX Fury 8GB RAM

About two weeks ago my computer started making a whirring noise, and yesterday it started crashing when playing games. It did not crash into a BSOD but rather a solid coloured screen (blue, black, pink, brown etc) made up of thin vertical lines, the sound would keep running for a few seconds and then stutter in a tiny repeating loop. At this point I had to hard reset the computer to turn it off.

I tried running different programs, browsing casually and watching videos went fine, but depending on what game I tried it would freeze up after 2-30 min.

Now it simply wont start anymore, the computer itself boots, the fans start running and it makes a single beep (which it usually does when the bios password pops up), but my monitor detects no signal.    My motherboard has power-on self test LEDs, which indicate that my GPU is the problem. However if I remove the GPU and plug an hdmi cable into the integrated motherboard graphics I still don´t get any signal on my monitor, and in this case the POST lights indicate that the CPU is the problem.

Only one of the fans on my GPU seems to be running, and it starts making strange sounds when under pressure, but now I´m not certain if the GPU or the motherboard itself is failing, I assume that since the computer boots the problem does not lie with the CPU.

Assuming I´m even able to get the computer running one more time, is there any way to pinpoint what part of my hardware is failing?

What I´ve already tried:

Made sure my monitor works.

Installed the latest drivers for my GPU.

Checked temperatures, on the last two crashes my GPU was at 60 and 30 celsius respectively.

Reseating the GPU.

Cleaning out my computer and blowing out all dust, did this a few days before the crashing started.

Reseating RAM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 12 April 2017 - 07:33 AM

Do you have another PSU you can try, or, cheap GPU you can try? (You will want to eliminate those as they are likely suspects before proceeding; given Murphy's law, whichever you choose to swap first,.... it's the other....) :)

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#3 blopp

blopp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2017 - 07:39 AM

Sadly no, the only other parts I have are ancient and not compatible with my motherboard.

#4 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 12 April 2017 - 06:42 PM

Does your mainboard have integrated graphics output connectors, to utilize the internal graphics capability of the 3770? (Try removing uour GPU entirely, and utilizing the HDMI or VGA/ DVI output of mainboard, if possible? If the system is still unstable afterward, then at least your GPU being the issue is now unlikely)

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#5 blopp

blopp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2017 - 04:42 AM

I got windows running and everything seems to be working after removing the GPU and using the hdmi port on the back of the motherboard on a secondary monitor. I tried this a few times earlier but the hdmi port on my main monitor apparently doesn´t work which I found out after reading your post and deciding to be very thorough and double check everything.

I guess that confirms that the graphics card is the issue?

This just had to happen right before easter, so I´ll be stuck without a replacement card for a while, but anyway thanks for the help  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users