Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cloned Linux MInt from SSD to NVMe SSD, now it says there's a 'fake RAID'

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,002 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 12 April 2017 - 04:35 AM

The Topic title sums this up, will add a few details. 

I cloned my larger 512GiB Samsung 850 Pro SSD to a smaller (240GiB) MyDiditalSSD BPX (shrinking only the Windows 10 'C' partition), normally this would be a smooth operation. Not this time, while W10 is running fine, Linux MInt 18.1 takes forever to boot (details below). 

cat@cat-ASRockZ97Extreme6 ~ $ sudo systemd-analyze

Startup finished in 5.139s (firmware) + 3.224s (loader) + 7.897s (kernel) + 3min 536ms (userspace) = 3min 16.798s

To complicate matters, now it's reporting a RAID that isn't there. Details below. 

Spoiler

I don't have a RAID set, have never attempted to setup RAID in my life, and it doesn't show in the UEFI that RAID is installed, these requires additional drivers. Furthermore, I cannot clean install Linux Mint, because whether by DVD or USB stick, the OS won't load, all that shows at the beginning are a sting of devices & then errors. 

More information below, note that the CPU frequency isn't accurate, am running at a constant 4.4GHz (x44 synced across all cores) with the cache raised from 39 to 40. 

Spoiler

I reassigned Swap, although it's not holding. Maybe the Z97 chipset needs to have the SATA cables in a different position with the NVMe SSD, although am not using that lane, rather the spare GPU one, making it a PCIe x8 card rather than x16, so don't see what the deal is. 

Anyone have any ideas on how to get past this? :)

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 12 April 2017 - 04:42 AM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 7,002 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2017 - 02:32 PM

Here's the same PC running 10, Speccy specs below & will update sig (2nd PC). :)

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/tbdS4YKHBvWROeKETAMBRKk

Don't understand the issue with Linux Mint on the PC, considered a 2nd clone, although decided against to prevent unnecessary writes. If necessary, will take a shot in the dark in performing again, although by what I see, may not do any good, especially considering that the PC won't boot a LInux distro via DVD or USB stick. Am guessing that it's a data cable in the wrong slot, though it would be good to hear someone to confirm before I get up there again.

If that happens to be the case, then these Motherboard OEM's should color these ports when using a PCIe SSD, or M.2 (SATA or NVMe) onboard to distinguish the difference. :(

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,916 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 12 April 2017 - 05:09 PM

especially considering that the PC won't boot a LInux distro via DVD or USB stick

How are you booting them? UEFI or Legacy?

Don't understand the issue with Linux Mint on the PC, considered a 2nd clone, although decided against to prevent unnecessary writes.

I wouldnt worry about that, these drives are not as delicate as people think.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#4 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 7,002 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2017 - 07:29 PM

Nick, I've been booting in UEFI ever since I assembled the PC. :)

After running the boot repair tool, the 64 bit version, now Linux Mint won't boot at all. All I have now is W10. :(

Since I spent a lot of time in fine tuning the PC to make it run as fast as possible (some with the dedicated assistance from others), with a little more left on the table to gain, the last thing I'd want to do would be to reset the UEFI. I'd reclone first, and to answer the above:

I wouldn't worry about that, these drives are not as delicate as people think.

You're right, while these MyDigitalSSD BPX NVMe SSD's are value oriented, they didn't skimp on warranty nor TBW written.

• 5 Years / 349 TBW Limited Warranty

Source where purchased:

https://www.amazon.com/MyDigitalSSD-80mm-Express-PCIe-480GB/dp/B01M4OO1FT?th=1

349 TBW is more than any of my Samsungs allows (per/GiB drive size), and come 5 years, the SSD will be in a secondary PC, something better will come along, always does! :thumbsup:

Now back to where we left off, I'll attempt a 2nd clone if you think that's what's needed, although at the time, cannot get a Linux Mint 18 install USB stick to run & that's outside of the OS, yet a WinPE drive will boot fine. So even a successful boot won't get me anywhere if I cannot clean install Mint as needed. There must be a setting somewhere that's been corrupted, although the only things I done were to install the new NVMe SSD, cloned both Mint & W10 while still internally installed to improve speed, and then shutdown at reboot by the PSU's power switch & removed the drive containing the still intact OS's. 

I'd really like to clean install the whole PC, grabbed Creators Update days before release, now have at least 4 roofs nailed onto one another (this was Win 8.1 Pro), over time will be held together with spit & duct tape. :lol:

Have also swapped data cables to all different SATA ports to no avail.

Will keep on shoveling! :workout:

Cat

#5 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 7,002 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2017 - 08:44 PM

Looks like I'm not alone here, if that means anything.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/814229/ubuntu-install-fails-with-nvme-ssd

By chance, this is Ubuntu 16.04, which Linux Mint 18 (& point releases) are based upon. 

Now for some (partial) good news. Went back to my old favorite Universal USB Installer (latest version), and the live media actually booted! :)

Only to crash near the end of install, didn't even offer to save me a bug report, rather submitted w/out me having no idea as to why & what was included. So close & yet so far away........ :(

Still, UUI gave me a glitter of hope, it may be that the latest Rufus isn't up to the task on handling this, I used the tool out of sheer desperation. 

https://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/

Looks like it's possible there's some type of 'hidden' RAID somewhere on the system, and it's up to us to find it. Really, with a fast NVMe SSD, do I truly need Intel Rapid Storage installed? It's the only app installed on my system that has any relation to RAID, and I don't need to accelerate drives, if I want faster storage, will purchase these as needed, there are now SS-HDD's that has a Flash module installed. Plus Intel-Micron has a joint venture to deliver another generation to the masses, one that will make HDD's perform as though mid-grade SSD's (this will interest me). 

Will do to digging in the UEFI for 'hidden' settings.

In the meantime, an answer to the question above would be highly appreciated, and possibly get me 'over the hump'. :)

Cat

#6 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 13 April 2017 - 07:07 AM

Looks like it's possible there's some type of 'hidden' RAID somewhere on the system, and it's up to us to find it.

Whatever it is, it looks like it's on /dev/sdb, going by the error message:

"ERROR: ddf1: wrong # of devices in RAID set "ddf1_Virtual Disk 0" [1/4] on /dev/sdb"

#7 nuna

nuna

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2017 - 05:33 PM

Which program did you use to clone the partitions?

Which is the output of:

dmraid -r

(when dmraid utility is installed)

#8 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 7,002 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2017 - 03:33 AM

Which program did you use to clone the partitions?

Which is the output of:

dmraid -r

(when dmraid utility is installed)

I used Macrium Reflect, of which I've successfully cloned three prior Linux Mint 17.3/18 installs with. :)

Had to file taxes today ( :() & didn't have time to mess with the install any further. Not that it'll do good now, the /home partition has been formatted with the tool, and the only folders I saved were those with content, although will restore these when I have a running Linux Mint 18.1. :thumbup2:

Am considering getting a 60-64GiB SSD just for the purpose of LInux Mint 18.1 root & (small) Swap, and leave /home on the HDD that I installed for the purpose, no need to waste the 500GB Samsung 850 Pro (SATA-3) that was in there for a sole 40GiB MInt one & now no other OS, have a place designated for it. Windows runs blazing fast w/out gimmicks on NVMe SSD's, as so should Linux Mint, as Ubuntu 12.04/LInux MInt 13 LTS had support for NVMe SSD's before Windows & long before most consumers had heard of these. Until recently, these were 'prosumer' (& some still are, example, my Samsung 950 PRO), it's the EVO line of the same that's now consumer. As is the MyDigitalSSD BPX (240GiB) that we're now dealing with, I don't get how Macrium can clone from one HDD to SSD (or one SSD to another), yet not a SSD to NVMe SSD. Only difference I see is the real time (no RAPID gimmicks) speed (on W10) & did on Mint 18.1 when still bootable. If anything, it should be RAPID that would be considered some type of RAID, some benchmark sites disqualifies those who has it enabled. :lol:

Samsung 850 Pro (512GiB), some would call this an outstanding benchmark & a year back I would've, although not now. :bowdown:

GpxaiHv.png

MyDigitalLife BPX  :bananas:

N6ZkAW4.png

Had no troubles when cloning the same on the Samsung 950 PRO, using the same tool (Macrium Reflect WinPE media), as as seen, wasn't running RAPID, something about the driver can has been buggy on a couple of my systems & have never used since. It's simply hogging up to 25% of one's RAM as a cache for most accessed files, although short of creating a RAMDisk (with no truly seen performance enhancements, why many considers RAPID a gimmick). :P

As to the clean install that I attempted with Universal USB Installer, here's a look at the partition layout, have no idea why OS install 'tapped out' after getting this close. :question:

ja6nz0D.png

My next (last ditch) attempt at a clean install will be to unplug the HDMI cable from the GPU & place in the Intel's onboard HDMI port, since both options are enabled in the UEFI. :)

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 14 April 2017 - 03:44 AM.

#9 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 7,002 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2017 - 04:27 AM

My thinking still leads me to wonder if there's a 'hidden' cache somewhere, although last night, dug through every option in the UEFI twice, and disabled the only two that may have been remotely associated with caching, with no positive effects. Maybe it's in the SSD itself (a hidden feature), have uninstalled the one feature (XFast RAM) that uses RAM as storage, with Revo Uninstaller, reboot was required. 

Only thing left installed is Intel Rapid Storage Technology & since that's on Windows, don't see it having anything to do with Linux period. Otherwise, I'd have had the issue before now. :)

I'm guessing the answer to this is a very simple one, that we've not seen or has been overlooked. Not knowing is a true PITA. :(

Cat

#10 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 7,002 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2017 - 10:51 AM

OK, finally have Linux Mint 18.1 installed after some Google research, there's a bug in the Ubuntu 16.04 installer that doesn't affect everyone, although some. By the use of a DVD & when the installer crashed at the end, ejected the DVD, force shutdown & rebooted with the GRUB Repair Tool, used the top option with defaults, and was back in Mint again, although there are lots of options shown at boot.

Still, any success is just that. :)

Now back to where we were, looks like noting has really changed, only the system boots much faster. 

cat@cat-ASRockZ97Extreme ~ $ sudo systemd-analyze

[sudo] password for cat: 
Startup finished in 5.089s (firmware) + 4.271s (loader) + 8.239s (kernel) + 1.353s (userspace) = 18.953s

Now for the bad. :(

Spoiler

Looks like the system is still reporting some type of RAID device being present, and a Google search of the line beginning with 'ERROR' only leads me to this Topic. :question:

Don't know where to go from here, how to get rid of the error. :(

Cat

#11 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 7,002 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2017 - 11:30 AM

By chance, /dev/sda (as reported by GParted) isn't a LInux partition, rather a backup drive for Windows.

Which makes this all the more confusing. Is there a chance that all drives being the same brand being an issue? The snapshot is above, /dev/sda is the 1TiB (931.51MiB) drive in the pic. Why would Linux consider a data drive that's not the same size (although the same brand & type, all WD RE4's) a RAID one? There has to be a fixable solution to this. 

Had I thought to look that up before the clean install, would had unplugged the data cable from the drive, then plug back in after install. Have checked my ports, all drive, including optical, are plugged into the proper ones, so as not to interfere with normal M.2 or eSATA operation. :)

I'd bet anything the answer to this is staring us in the face, it has to be a simple one, especially being that the PC is booting at regular (even faster) speeds than before.

cat@cat-ASRockZ97Extreme ~ $ sudo systemd-analyze

[sudo] password for cat: 
Startup finished in 5.089s (firmware) + 4.271s (loader) + 8.239s (kernel) + 1.353s (userspace) = 18.953s

Anything under 20 seconds is great, although far short of outstanding. :)

EDIT: Here's a Terminal snapshot of the partition table, which may help determine the cause. 

cat@cat-ASRockZ97Extreme ~ $ sudo lsblk -o NAME,FSTYPE,SIZE,MOUNTPOINT,LABEL

[sudo] password for cat: 
NAME        FSTYPE            SIZE MOUNTPOINT LABEL
sda         ddf_raid_member 931.5G            
└─sda1      ntfs            931.5G            Windows Backup
sdb                         465.8G            
└─sdb1      ntfs              200G            Windows Data
sdc                         465.8G            
└─sdc1      ext4            465.8G /home      
sr0                          1024M            
nvme0n1                     223.6G            
├─nvme0n1p1 ntfs              450M            Recovery
├─nvme0n1p2 vfat               99M /boot/efi  
├─nvme0n1p3                    16M            
├─nvme0n1p4 ntfs              160G            Wrndows 10 Pro
├─nvme0n1p5 ext4               40G /          
├─nvme0n1p6 swap              512M [SWAP]     
└─nvme0n1p7 ntfs                2G            Pre-Overprovision

I take it there's a tool that could clear this, if necessary, can move the files to another drive for any operations. :)

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 15 April 2017 - 11:59 AM.

#12 nuna

nuna

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2017 - 12:02 PM

You can try to check if the disks have some kind of RAID information (metadata...):

sudo dmraid -r

#13 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 7,002 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2017 - 12:23 PM

Checked using 'sudo fdisk -l' & shows as normal (from my view). :)

Spoiler

nuna, will check the disks to see what your command comes up with. :)

Here's the result. 

cat@cat-ASRockZ97Extreme ~ $ sudo dmraid -r

/dev/sda: ddf1, ".ddf1_disks", GROUP, ok, 975699968 sectors, data@ 0

/dev/sda is showing there.

I just don't get why it's considered a RAID drive now, when there was a SATA-3 SSD installed prior, all was OK. When I installed the NVMe SSD, this all started. Didn't happen this way on my other PC with a NVMe SSD, although there was only a single 1TiB HDD installed, half for Linux MInt /home, half for Windows data. :)

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 15 April 2017 - 12:37 PM.

#14 nuna

nuna

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2017 - 12:36 PM

Both lsblk and dmraid are reporting /dev/sda as part of a RAID. How this happened? Have no clue  :blink:

This command erases the RAID metada from the specified disk:

sudo dmraid -rE /dev/sda

As in your case the disk is not really part of a RAID, it shouldn't affect the access to the data stored on it (but having a backup is always welcome).

Edited by nuna, 15 April 2017 - 12:38 PM.

#15 nuna

nuna

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2017 - 12:48 PM

By any chance, that disk (/dev/sda) was used in a NAS or a server? Didn't lsblk show up the RAID thing before installing the new disk?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users