Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Update Error 80072F8F

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ImageJPEG

ImageJPEG

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 11 April 2017 - 10:25 PM

I've checked the date and time. Made sure several times that it's correct for both Windows and the BIOS. I've also forced the computer to update the time using a time server multiple times.

I've tried some Microsoft fixes with no luck.

I receive an EventID in Event Viewer of 25.

SFC says that it found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Go figure... :/

Any suggestions?

Here's a paste of the log file from SFC.

https://privatebin.net/?623033cf39478ef3#HxHgMENrHgiSNdOu1epO5J2BWrJZKx2DhY7dRms0sFo=

Also, this is a customer's computer. Hasn't been updated since middle of 2015 so it definitely needs to be updated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 opera

opera

• Members
  • 947 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 12 April 2017 - 12:04 AM

Did you try this?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f320/solved-windows-update-error-80072f8f-885129-2.html#post5594217

#3 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,968 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2017 - 03:53 AM

Hi,

Try this

• Download SFCFix.exe (by Niemiro) and save it to the Desktop
  • Run SFCFix (accept the security warning and follow the instructions on the screen)
  • Upon completion, a log file SFCFix.txt should be created on your Desktop
  • Open the SFCFix.txt log and copy & paste the contents to your post

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#4 ImageJPEG

ImageJPEG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2017 - 12:48 PM

The SFCFix seems to work. I'm not having sfc /scannow report any more corruption.

The other suggestion doesn't seem to work though. I did find a misplaced dll file relating to Windows time sync service but I'm no longer receiving an error for that anymore.

I cannot view anything on catalog.update.microsoft.com because IE cannot run/install the add-on for whatever reason. I tried downloading the cab file manually and install it manually (using dism) with an error of 0x80070002 Error 2.

I will  be trying to install what I think is a rollup package to see if that helps with anything.

#5 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,968 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2017 - 01:12 PM

Hi,

What is the internet explorer version you have installed?

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.

___
Rui

#6 ImageJPEG

ImageJPEG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2017 - 02:38 PM

I don't know now. I tried to install the latest IE since it wasn't up to date. After it uninstalled, iexplore.exe was removed and now I don't even have IE 8 (or whatever Windows 7 came out with). I've tried installing it via an installer from Microsoft but the installer tells me that it was unable to fully install IE 11.

I'm trying to run tweaking.com's aio repair kit...again to see if I can get this computer to cough up something.

I really, really don't want to reinstall the OS.

#7 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,968 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2017 - 03:00 PM

If you open the Command Prompt as Administrator and type:

dir %WINDIR%\servicing\Packages\Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer*.mum

The result will show the Internet Explorer version installed, if you have modules from more than one version probably its a good idea to remove them...

Let me know the result.

Edited by SleepyDude, 12 April 2017 - 03:00 PM.

___
Rui

#8 ImageJPEG

ImageJPEG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2017 - 11:12 AM

For IE Packages (excluding Optional-Package and VistaPlus-Update) these are the versions that show up from that command.

I did a system restore last night to get IE back. When selecting "About IE" it it tells me it's version 11.0.9600.17843IC

https://ibin.co/3Iwi8W7MtM7r.jpg

#9 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,968 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2017 - 03:06 PM

Hi,

Two questions:

- SFC continues to report no errors?

- The Windows Update continues with the same error?

___
Rui

#10 ImageJPEG

ImageJPEG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2017 - 04:07 PM

That is correct.

New things to report though.

I'm trying to repair the Windows 7 by inserting a Windows 7 SP1 install disc. I try to run the "upgrade" option. It goes through almost all of it but in the end I receive a not enough space error. I checked the HD and I have 400GB free so what the heck.

I tried performing the upgrade with and without checking for windows updates.

https://ibin.co/3Iy9DecpXTWR.jpg

I think I'm going to try to make a clone of the drive then re-install Windows without formatting the drive to see if that can fix anything.

#11 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,968 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2017 - 04:15 PM

Run a chkdsk on the drive.

If you want to use the Upgrade also called Repair Install make sure you remove Internet Explorer 11 first because it will mess the installation result, also make sure you don't have any Antivirus installed. After the Upgrade reinstall Internet Explorer 11.

___
Rui

#12 ImageJPEG

ImageJPEG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2017 - 04:17 PM

I'll give that a shot before I clone it but I have doubts that it'll do anything :/

I did do a chkdsk last night and saw the results this morning with no filesystem corruption.

#13 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,968 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2017 - 04:21 PM

I'll give that a shot before I clone it but I have doubts that it'll do anything :/

I did do a chkdsk last night and saw the results this morning with no filesystem corruption.

Just in case check also the free space on the System Reserved partition using the Disk Manager.

___
Rui

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users