Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Chainy

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 11 April 2017 - 07:02 PM

Hi All,

I recently encountered "The connection was reset" error a lot while browsing and have tried all sorts of troubleshooting. Nothing worked till I came across a youtube video telling me to turn off Avast web shield. I tried it out and lo and behold, if you are a bell internet user, I discovered you would get notifications when your internet usage was over 50 or 90% of your bandwidth directly injected into your browser page. (I have unlimited bandwidth) Apparently, the Avast web shield was blocking it and kept causing "the connection was reset" error every time the notification supposed to be injected.

You can turn off the notifications by logging onto the Bell Site and going to Internet tab under My Services. Look for manage usage notifications under Usage and turn it off. You should no longer have any further issues.

This has never happened till recently for me and I'm not sure if this would apply to other anti-virus programs with web shields but hopefully this helps out other Bell Canada customers out there.

Edit: The bell notification may "sneak" back in even though you turned it off. Just restart the browser or don't use Avast.

Edited by Chainy, 11 April 2017 - 07:28 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users