Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Should I continue with my degree in Software Engineering?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kolby-kun

Kolby-kun

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 11 April 2017 - 06:56 PM

So I stopped my degree due to a few issues but looking back I was unable to cope with it thus flunking about 3/5 of the subjects given and was really bad at programming. I've talked to another Software Engineer and he told me that there's other branches available and give me a little hope if I choose to continue. Thoughts?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 11 April 2017 - 07:05 PM

Do what you feel is right.

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 13 April 2017 - 11:17 AM

Sounds like you went with Software Engineering for the money and not of the love of it.  If you don't enjoy what you're doing you're never going to be happy.

If you enjoy it, but aren't good at it, can you see a way to improve your skill.  A lot of things have an AH HA moment, where everything comes together and you understand how it all goes together.  Some people will get it, and others won't.

I'd suggest talking to a counselor where you are taking classes to see if there is another area that may interest you and that the classes you have already passed would be beneficial.  It may be that the classes you have passed may be pointing you in the direction you should be headed.

#4 Kolby-kun

Kolby-kun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 14 April 2017 - 03:31 AM

Sounds like you went with Software Engineering for the money and not of the love of it.  If you don't enjoy what you're doing you're never going to be happy.

If you enjoy it, but aren't good at it, can you see a way to improve your skill.  A lot of things have an AH HA moment, where everything comes together and you understand how it all goes together.  Some people will get it, and others won't.

I'd suggest talking to a counselor where you are taking classes to see if there is another area that may interest you and that the classes you have already passed would be beneficial.  It may be that the classes you have passed may be pointing you in the direction you should be headed.

I was very good in computer games and video editing so I thought I might also succeed in Software Engineering. I'm also fond of automotive industry and with the prospect of having this degree I can also go into it. Thanks for the advice, appreciate it. I talked to a counselor before I chose this course.

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 14 April 2017 - 11:53 AM

Time to talk to a counselor again to see about switching.  The classes you have passed should be an indicator of what you are good at doing, hopefully it is also something you enjoy doing.  A counselor may be able to point you in a direction to use the classes you have passed in another area that you may be better suited.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users