Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tips for cleaning Laptop?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Kolby-kun

Kolby-kun

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 11 April 2017 - 06:53 PM

So I watched a whole bunch of videos last night on cleaning laptops and some people even mentioned about washing the heat sink with soap(is this true?). 

I have done this before but I got it heated up again after about two months of using it and when I sent it to someone else for 10$ it lasted more longer.

So correct me if I'm wrong all I need is to:

Cleaning Heatsink with Compressed Air
Don't let the fan turn(by using a tooth pick?) when using the Compressed Air
Replace Thermal Paste
Use brush to get some of the residue stuck at heatsink 
Hold the compressed air upright

Anything else I'm missing? How do you remove old thermal paste that have hardened? I've seen people using screwdrivers after applying thermal paste remover/isopropyl alcohol is it advisable?

Edited by Kolby-kun, 11 April 2017 - 06:57 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ekojaya

ekojaya

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 11 April 2017 - 11:42 PM

i thinik it is better to use air, to clean your heat sink 

#3 jimyd

jimyd

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 12 April 2017 - 07:59 PM

I use the alcohal, Q-tips, a plastic spudger, if there is room or the top of a bic pen can be very useful in tight places. Please practice anti static safety. Apply the thermal paste very litely, more is not better. While I'm in there I check for other obvious problems and air dust everything. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users