Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Discussion Peppermint 7

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,482 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 11 April 2017 - 04:08 PM

Hey Everyone,

I'm bored and I decided to give Peppermint 7 a go and see if it is everything that I have read it was and so far I like it.

It is a colorful Linux Distro unlike Linux Mint and Ubuntu as Peppermint 7 is built off both Linux Mint and Ubuntu.

I guess the real difference is all of the cloud base online apps available to use although I haven't gotten that far yet.

It does however look to be an interesting Linux Distro and worth a look at in my opinion.

Peppermint 7

https://peppermintos.com/2016/06/peppermint-7-released/

The Toolman :wink:

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rburkartjo

rburkartjo

• Members
  • 3,998 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 11 April 2017 - 04:27 PM

tried peppermint a few years ago and really liked it.

quote:He that would live in peace & at ease, Must not speak all he knows,nor judge all he sees.'

#3 The-Toolman

The-Toolman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,482 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2017 - 06:49 PM

Kinda reminds me of MX-16 Metamorphosis with all of its colors.

I like it also.

I guess the online cloud based apps are similar to Googles Chromebooks OS.

Pretty unique Linux Distro.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#4 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 16 April 2017 - 05:29 AM

Just over a year back, I installed the (then) latest Peppermint on an 11 year old girl's notebook, she wanted the distro because her two close friends were running the same one. :)

Just by chance, this was a nearby family that were down on their luck bad, I gave both computers that were given to me for work performed. One a desktop for the home with Linux Mint 17 installed, and a barely 2 year old notebook with an i7 for the girl. While plenty of power for her, I just don't see '20W & i7' in the same sentence, my 1st gen i5 mobiles (that's since been upgraded to i7's) pulled away clear in performance other than graphics, and are 35W CPU's. Even my just a year less older (3rd gen) 45W i7, true quad core notebook, flat out blew the doors off the newer Dell. 

Am glad that I could put the notebook to good use, although I truly didn't see nor feel 'i7' in the performance of the notebook, with the default Windows 8.1 OS, nor Peppermint, although the latter was the clear winner due to less overhead & ease of use. :)

The other thing about Peppermint that I like that it's developed in my home state, in the mountains of North Carolina, so there is a somewhat rizing Linux distro with it's roots here. For that matter, so is FatDog64, which is closer to me at UNC, used for their IT classes & official OS of the university. Although not used for all day to day operations of the university, it's a teaching OS. 

Peppermint OS has a lot of potential, has grown over the years, although it may never make the Top 10 list, is capable of holding it's own while advancing the charts in slow increments. Am not really sure of it's intended audience, the only ones around here that I know runs it are pre-teens, so may be a way to introduce Linux to youngsters. I'll have to give it a shot again & see, the last time I actively ran it (for myself) was with version 4, obviously that's been some time back, and was short lived. 

Have a couple of spare builds, maybe Peppermint would be a perfect fit on either or both, neither are powerhouses, although runs the latest Windows & Linux Mint fine. Also have another PC that I need to assemble of spare components, just need a new, preferably modular (due to space constraints) PSU in the 450-500W range (maybe overkill), although more is better than too little & the most important component of one's build, maybe would make a great Peppermint box running the folding@home client 24/7. Peppermint is a lightweight distro, and in the scenario I'd be using it for, could keep the monitor turned off most of the time for further energy savings. 

Peppermint, as stated in the instance where I gave a notebook to a pre-teen, is a great starter Linux distro for most anyone. At the time I first tried Linux Mint, don't believe Peppermint was on the map, if so, may be running it rather than Linux Mint, it's not too much nor too little for most users, plus as with most any Ubuntu based distro, there's lots of software choices to add. :)

From my limited experience with the distro, most recently the install & setup for the pre-teen child, I give the latest Peppermint a solid recommend for most anyone. We often tend to push more of the larger names & don't think of the smaller ones, not that not too many years back, many of those were small also. So with some recommends, we can get this distro in the hands of others to take for a spin, there's tens of millions of low cost, low spec, pre-SP1 Windows 7 computers that Peppermint will run perfectly fine on & breathe new life into in one sweep. :thumbsup:

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#5 The-Toolman

The-Toolman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,482 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2017 - 06:07 AM

I think the main emphasis with Peppermint 7 is ability to have "Web app integration" /  "Site Specific Browsers" or SSBs

Edited by The-Toolman, 16 April 2017 - 06:08 AM.

#6 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2017 - 05:43 AM

That's a really neat addition to Peppermint, didn't know it was there. :)

As I have an extensive line of photos, may have to find a place to install for managing (or editing when needed) these. Am impressed by that offering, no wonder youngsters likes the distro. Many are into taking pics with their smartphones, often these will need editing, this suite should be capable of handling the job. :thumbup2:

ISO has been downloaded, am in the process of verifying the key. Unfortunately, Peppermint doesn't list a SHA256 key that can be copy/pasted in the box of the download manager, which verifies the ISO immediately after download is complete, if no match, then the person should discard the download (this is an option on most download managers). Can't get past this 'cd -' crap, so have installed the GUI app for verifying. No match, according to the app. so will try again. :smash:

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#7 The-Toolman

The-Toolman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,482 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2017 - 07:22 AM

Yep Peppermint 7 is turning out to be a good Linux distro for me.

The "Web app integration" /  "Site Specific Browsers" or SSBs are pretty neat.

I like it.  :thumbup2:

This is where I downloaded my ISO but never checked the SHA256 key as I only install on a clean hard drive without any other OS on so if it craps out or doesn't work than no loss.

https://peppermintos.com/

#8 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2017 - 03:39 AM

That's where I found & downloaded mine also, as well as the GPG Verification Tool, the GUI one, and double checked the ISO version & keys, the match was 'Not Likely' (or similar wording). :(

Unlike most other Linux distros, the maintainers doesn't post a SHA256 bit checksum page, which can be copy/pasted in the download manager bot, select the right key type, and allow to be auto checked after the download has completed, the last option will be verification. The Linux MInt Cinnamon breach is why they went to SHA256 checksums, Ubuntu 17.04 has the same, didn't have an issue with that one last night. I prefer the process to be automated, that's the job of the download manager, if only the one who has the ISO (or other download) provides the checksum.

A good LInux user & especially System Administrator will be a lazy one, getting more work done with the least amount of effort. While in practice, I've read more about this on the hardware end than downloading/verifying ISO's, such as having replacement RAM & HDD's inside of needed computers on the job for that 2AM call (common replacements), so as not to be running all over the place looking for these. I'm the same way with downloads, it's a lot of trouble & an unnecessary step to be fooling with GPG keys, especially when the distro maintainer doesn't place the latest version (for Terminal checking) on the page. Plus when using the GPG tool, the ISO & GPG signature files doesn't match. :angry:

While 5 years back, I'd not had been concerned over this, today I am, will not run a distro that cannot match it's own signature file, this is a security risk & why the big name ones makes this a painless process for those who prefers the download manager option. That's part of the job of the tool, to verify files as downloaded, although both Linux Mint & Ubuntu offers it both ways, some prefers the manual check. My guess is that if I were to check one of these with the GPG Tool against the provided signature, all would be clean. :)

Until the issue is fixed, I won't bother again, and am not interested in running dated ones, such as the example page provided. Furthermore, this in far from the year 2013, that was just one year after Ubuntu 12.04/Linux Mint 13 LTS were released, both now out of support. There was another issue, while Peppermint is based in my home State, in Asheville, NC, the largest in the area, part of the GPG sig was from the UK. Is it a UK or US based distro? :question:

https://peppermintos.com/gpg-verification/

The example should be updated to match the last provided release, not one that's unsupported, there was no Ubuntu 14.04 in 2013. :)

Lastly, and maybe why it ran much better than Windows 8.1 on the 2014 model Dell Inspiron I gave to her, although I maintain there's not a true i7 under the hood (Intel went from producing high performance 1st & 2nd gen dual cores for mobiles, then later quads in the 3rd & 4th gen, now has taken several steps backwards & reverted to 20W duals), it's probably due to Peppermint being an Xfce based distro that it runs as good as it does. Although still not as powerful as any of my notebooks, I believe that model has a low cost, Haswell mobile CPU, which is a reflection of it's price ($799.99 when sold). Based on it's performance, I felt it was more suited towards a child as a first time notebook, rather than one who has been through several that were more powerful & needed for real work. :lol:

Hopefully, she has no issues with the Peppermint that I installed, which was the last version released at the time, may have been this one, since I trashed the ISO a few weeks after install, may never know. The family was down on their luck then, as the husband/father abandoned both, fortunately the home was paid off weeks afterwards. I told her that if she ever had troubles & needed to reinstall, or install a newer version to let me know, although at 11 years old, she (Melissa) was responsible, wanted to watch my every step along the way, even helping with the password & the installer in general, so may have learned how to do this on her own. Hopefully won't be doing much photo editing, this requires a powerful CPU & ample RAM (12GB or more). I know that 8GB was installed, because there were 1600MHz modules installed & after checking the CPU specs & seen that it could run 1333 or 1600MHz, swapped for a matched pair of 1333MHz ones I had on hand, why waste high performance RAM on a low end CPU? :P

I'm also hopeful that the folks at Peppermint will get this key situation in order, this will help the OS to climb the DistroWatch charts, when I took a peek, was performing fairly well for that type of distro. While I don't give just the last 7 days much stock, rather look at the last year as a whole, at each stage. Peppermint has held it's own during this period. No way can a few folks perform a slew of downloads within a course of time to make the results look steady, and why I don't bother with the past week or month's results alone. :)

There's one notebook that I have that it may run well on, while dated, Xfce based OS's doesn't require a lot of power, and there usually a way if needed, to run on non-PAE based computers, so will need to download the 32 bit version instead, if the devs (wherever located) can get the key issue right. I'd much rather have a SHA256 txt file, so that I can choose the right one for the version downloaded & let the download manger do the work. Example of Linux Mint below, see, one's given two choices. 

https://linuxmint.com/verify.php

https://ftp.heanet.ie/mirrors/linuxmint.com/stable/18.1/sha256sum.txt

How hard is the above to perform? :question:

Cat

#9 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,393 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2017 - 06:48 AM

Slooooow download...even using Torrents...tried the super duper rapid turbo charged downloader in Slimjet...that is the fastest of the three ways I tried downloading Peppermint.

Looks like half to 2/3 the time required for the other two. Less than one hour for the 1.2 GB download.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#10 The-Toolman

The-Toolman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,482 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2017 - 08:31 AM

I didn't have any of these issues as I just downloaded the ISO 64bit and 32bit.

Don't recall what the download time took for either dlistro as I just started the download and went about doing other things.

I don't worry about the SHA256 key anyway as I have done those on Linux Mint and still had a crappy ISO that wouldn't install.

Every now and then you may experience a bad download from any reliable download repository or download center due to different reasons.

It's a hit and miss chance but I'm willing take a chance.

All good things come with chance.  :wink:

#11 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,393 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2017 - 08:53 AM

Not an issue...just info. I just finished checking it out on a flash drive. Worked as expected. Though I'm use to menus being on top...but no big deal. I installed Ubuntu Mate

yesterday on an old backup computer. Might just dual boot it with this Peppermint one when I again get in the mood for playing or really bored.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#12 The-Toolman

The-Toolman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,482 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2017 - 09:33 AM

Hey buddy215,

That's how I wound up with Peppermint 7 is just out of being board one day and downloaded / installed / updated / added this and that etc.

Anyway I like it.  :)

#13 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2017 - 02:31 AM

Slooooow download...even using Torrents...tried the super duper rapid turbo charged downloader in Slimjet...that is the fastest of the three ways I tried downloading Peppermint.

Looks like half to 2/3 the time required for the other two. Less than one hour for the 1.2 GB download.

buddy215, if you run Firefox, install the 'Down Them All' extension, and these will download as fast as possible, and unlike the 'Pro' versions, at no charge. :)

I had Peppermint downloaded inside of 8 minutes, it's the lack if a matching sig that concerns me, downloaded both the ISO & key twice to make sure that I selected the right ones. Until I can verify the source with accuracy, won't be bothering with install. This is why I prefer the sha txt. page to be shown, it's really easy to copy/paste in the download manager box, then from the left, select the right type, be it MD5, SHA1 or SHA256, it does the verify upon completion with accuracy, and why major distros posts these (well, Ubuntu/Linux Mint does anyway). :thumbup2:

Cat

#14 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2017 - 02:49 AM

Generally speaking, such as business opportunities, that's right, yet I don't take such chances with an operating system, who knows what one can implant in an ISO (even a LInux one) that can steal our identities. Since Linux is free, anyone can modify & release a distro that can bite us in the rear end, such as the hacked Linux Mint Cinnamon release in the not too distant past. Clement Lefebvre (Linux Mint Founder & CEO) told his his users to discard any of the ISO's & to reinstall the OS with the proper ones, providing a SHA256 checksum for each. 

Most any website can be hacked these days by one who is determined to do so. :(

This is where the line is drawn in the sand & where no one should take a chance. It would be great if the distro maintainer would return and let us know what's going on, as he was once an active member here for a spell, then stopped posting, for reasons I don't know. This would had been the perfect place to showcase his distro & gain a following by having a presence here at the same time. :)

Cat

#15 The-Toolman

The-Toolman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,482 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2017 - 04:57 AM

Most any website can be hacked these days by one who is determined to do so. :(

Cat

You are right any website can be hacked and also so can the SHA256 key if a hacker has the right software and know how with enough determination and persistence.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users