Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SSD storage for Laptop

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 MichelBevan

MichelBevan

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 11 April 2017 - 11:42 AM

Hello everyone, I want to add an SSD drive to my Dell Laptop. It is almost new. I bought it last November 2016. There is 1TB HDD & working nicely but I want to add another on (SSD) for only OS, not for storage. Can anyone tell me is it possible for adding another storage on my Laptop? Thanks in advance. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,074 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 11 April 2017 - 11:53 AM

Laptops can only accommodate for one hard drive normally, so no you cannot naively add a ssd along side a standard HDD.

The only way around this is to go external, get say a external enclosure for your HDD or a cable of some type.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 11 April 2017 - 12:36 PM

Giving the actual model of the laptop would be very helpful.  I'm currently working in an HP shop and most of the newer machines have a slot for an M2 drive.  I would suspect that Dell designs are similar.

#4 orlbuckeye

orlbuckeye

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2017 - 12:36 PM

Well you have to look at the slots available. I've added SSD's to the last 2 laptops I've owned going back to 2009,  Today alot of laptops come with M.2 SSD slots  for M.2 SSD which are similar in size with memory cards. The laptop I bought in 2009 was a big one and it has 2 2.5 drive slots. I bought it with the intention of  adding a SSD.  After receving the system I installed all the software and then I used Acronis True Image cloning software. I bought a kit with the SSD and it came with a USB external case to use for the destination SSD. I just kept the HD were is was and put the SSD in the external case. I cloned the HD to the SSD. I then popped the HD out and put the SSD in the slot and it booted and everything was fine. I actually cloned the HD that I moved to the 2nd bay also. It was a 750 ML and i added a 1 TB hd. My newest PC came with A 256 SSD and a 1TB drive. I purchased a 1 TB SSD and replaced the 256 gb SSD. I added the 750 GB drive from the other PC after formatting and I put the the old 256 SSD in case and use as external.

SO the 2 PC i've added SSD's

PC 1 came with 750 HD. I added 256 SSD and moved the 750 GB HD to second bay then replace it with a cloned 1 TB

PC 2 came with 256 M.2 GB SSD (OS) and 1 TB HD. I cloned the 256 to a 1 TB M.2 SSD left the 1 TB as is and added a 750 GB HD. This machine can have up to 4 drives (if I remove the Optical drive) 3 drives with the optical.

The number one thing you need to do is see how many Drive bays it has. Then see if it has a slot for a M.2 drive. If there is only one slot 1TB or 500 GB SSD's are way cheaper than when I purchased. You will see a noticeable  speed difference.

Edited by orlbuckeye, 11 April 2017 - 12:40 PM.

• Alienware 18 Intel Core i7 4810 QM 16GB DDR3
  • 18.4" (1920 x1080) 
  • 1 TB Samsung EVO MSATA SSD 1 TB WD 5400 RPM HD 750 GB WD 5400 RPM HD
  • Nvidia GT 860 GM SLI graphics
  • Windows 10 Pro + Surface Book i5 256gb SSD 8gb RAM DGPU

#5 MichelBevan

MichelBevan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2017 - 12:50 PM

Greetings everyone, My Laptop model & configuration are given below:
Dell Inspiron 5559-Core i5-6Genaration, 8GB Memory, 1TB HDD, 2GB Graphics card, Optical Drive, etc.

Is it possible to boot an external drive? I don't have an idea for that. Thanks.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,161 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2017 - 12:57 PM

Everything I can find via web search on this model indicates there is only one drive bay.  There are a number of drive caddies available that will allow you to switch out your optical drive for another HDD/SSD (see here for one article on such).

You could likely come up with a creative way to boot from an external USB drive but why on earth would you want to?  This would make the laptop effectively immobile for all practical intents and purposes.

If you simply must have an OS SSD and data HDD then you're going to have to ditch the Optical drive.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#7 MichelBevan

MichelBevan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2017 - 01:09 PM

Hi orlbuckeye, Thank you very much for sharing your experience. If there is secondary slot is available, should I do this by me or I have to go Computer shop? Thanks.

#8 MichelBevan

MichelBevan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2017 - 01:16 PM

Hello Briteechguy, Thank you for your nice suggestions. I want to see my Laptop running first, that's why I want to add an SSD. Now I'm going to visit which article (toms hardware) your share. Thanks again.

#9 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 11 April 2017 - 01:58 PM

According to Crucial it doesn't look like it has an M2 slot.  

#10 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,074 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2017 - 03:10 PM

Yeah a external drive is the best option here

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.