Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Good Firewall Software

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 LadyFitzgerald

LadyFitzgerald

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 20 May 2017 - 01:44 PM

I've had excellent results from ZoneAlarm's Free Firewall. Many people complain about the number of popups it has when first installed but, once it gets "trained" (generally, in a month or so) the number of popups drop dramatically.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#17 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 655 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 25 May 2017 - 03:00 AM

https://www.glasswire.com/

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#18 Nzyme

Nzyme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 26 May 2017 - 10:51 AM

Ok, so here is what I am looking for. A firewall software which will keep monitoring the network and show in it's log all the incoming and outgoing connections. Something similar to what Fiddler does showing all the connections but with blocking capabilities.

Example - When I login to Skype, I see a lot of ads. Now the program should show the list of all the connections and I should be able to block the respective ad domain. I know there is Adguard but I am looking for some network monitoring software with blocking functionality similar to Netpeeker.

From everything you have explained in this thread, given what is available today GlassWire may be your best

option. Good Luck with your search.

You guys must check out NetPeeker. It shows the domain names of the connections. Through Glasswire, you cannot know which host is from an ad domain and which one is not.

#19 isaccasi

isaccasi

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 29 May 2017 - 02:52 PM

Bitdefender may be a good place to look :notme:

#20 Nzyme

Nzyme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 01 June 2017 - 10:52 AM

Bitdefender may be a good place to look :notme:

LOL. Dude, please read my first post. I am not looking for an A/V program here or one through which I can block whole websites.

#21 ichito

ichito

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 05 June 2017 - 05:03 AM

I've had excellent results from ZoneAlarm's Free Firewall. Many people complain about the number of popups it has when first installed but, once it gets "trained" (generally, in a month or so) the number of popups drop dramatically.

What is your system?...generaly I wolud recomend Outpost 2009 Free or PC Tools FW (based on Look'n'nStop technology) - both in HIPS module...or Tinywall without it.

Vista: SpyShelter Firewall + Shadow Defender + Keriver 1-Click Free

XP SP3: Kerio 2.1.5 + SpyShelter Premium + NVT ExeRadar Pro + Shadow Defender + Keriver 1-Click Free

#22 Carpentry

Carpentry

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 17 June 2017 - 10:59 PM

I use TcpLogView to monitor connections
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/tcp_log_view.html
and COMODO Firewall to block programs
https://www.comodo.com/home/internet-security/firewall.php

Thank you! I have tried TcpLogView and it is close to displaying what I want but not there yet. The reason being that it displays the host names rather than the DNS name as seen in the screenshot below

2017-04-16_21-01-57.png

The top portion is the screenshot from another firewall called NetPeeker and the bottom one is from TcpLogView. You will understand what I mean when you look under the RemoteIP column. Both are the logs taken after opening www.google.com but see the difference. I am looking for something similar to screenshot 1 above.

Are there any programs which will sniff the network and show me the output in this format (as seen in the top portion of the screenshot)? Basically, I need to monitor and block the unwanted individual connections.

Thanks!

If you use Killswitch you can see the address names.

Edited by Carpentry, 17 June 2017 - 11:00 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users