Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My combination

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Xtreme512

Xtreme512

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 11 April 2017 - 10:18 AM

Hey, I am using W10 Creators and I'm a fan of Defender, in Creators Update, Windows Defender is much more developed. 

My combination right now is, Windows Firewall + Windows Defender (real-time anti-virus, anti-malware, anti-spyware and other new cool features etc.) + MalwareBytes Trial 3 (Safe web, anti-exploit, anti-ransomware). 

By the way, 10 days later my trial will end and I will move on to Bitdefender anti-ransomware tool Free + Bitdefender Antivirus Free for (Safe web, anti-ransomware) but real-time things belong to Defender.

I will still use MBAM for standalone scanning purposes monthly after trial ends.

Is this a good combination? Can it be better?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 49,588 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 14 April 2017 - 05:33 AM

Windows Defender Antivirus (Windows 10 Creators Update) is compatible with any third-party anti-virus. However, be aware of the following.

Windows Defender Antivirus compatibility

If an onboarded endpoint is protected by a third-party antimalware client, Windows Defender Antivirus on that endpoint will enter into passive mode. Windows Defender Antivirus will continue to receive updates, and the mspeng.exe process will be listed as a running a service, but it will not perform scans and will not replace the running third-party antimalware client. The Windows Defender Antivirus interface will be disabled, and users on the endpoint will not be able to use Windows Defender Antivirus to perform on-demand scans or configure most option.

Windows Defender Antivirus and Advanced Threat Protection

...In passive mode, Windows Defender will continue to run (using the msmpeng.exe process), and will continue to be updated, however there will be no Windows Defender user interface, scheduled scans won't run, and Windows Defender will not provide real-time protection from malware...If you uninstall the other product, and choose to use Windows Defender to provide protection to your endpoints, Windows Defender will automatically return to its normal active mode.

Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Windows Insider MVP 2017
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Xtreme512

Xtreme512
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2017 - 01:41 PM

thats why I disabled the malwarebytes's real-time malware protection, in order to make defender active at all times.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 49,588 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2017 - 03:05 PM

I mentioned the above because you indicated you plan to install Bitdefender Antivirus Free.
Windows Insider MVP 2017

#5 Xtreme512

Xtreme512
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2017 - 03:09 PM

I mentioned the above because you indicated you plan to install Bitdefender Antivirus Free.

I was thinking that I can also disable its real-time protection and leave the safe web protection only. Like I did with malwarebytes. I hope that option is included with bitdefender as well. 

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 49,588 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2017 - 05:41 PM

I have never used Bitdefender so I can't confirm.
Windows Insider MVP 2017

#7 Xtreme512

Xtreme512
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2017 - 07:47 AM

I looked at Bitdefender's UI on YouTube and I guess it is not possible to disable real-time protection w/o disabling safe web features. Therefore, I found another software Avast Free. You can disable real-time and have web protection.

For anti-exploit I'm thinking to use free Malwarebytes anti-exploit and for anti-ransomware I will use Kaspersky's free solution. (better than Bitdefender's I guess)

Is this combination good to use? Will it make conflicts? What do you guys recommendations on these? Other software maybe?

Btw, I need a good free ad-blocker as well. (can also block YouTube ads)

Edited by Xtreme512, 16 April 2017 - 07:49 AM.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 49,588 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2017 - 04:25 PM

Unless they released something new, Kaspersky's free anti-ransomware tool is for small and medium-sized businesses.

If it helps any, I use the following....

I also use Emsisoft Anti-Malware which include exploit protection.

To protect my browser, privacy, help prevent advertisements & block websites, I use the following:

Windows Insider MVP 2017

#9 Xtreme512

Xtreme512
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2017 - 12:25 PM

cryptoprevent is not free, have to have premium for advanced anti-ransomware.

HitmanPro.Alert is good but not free

Symantec NoScript Im not interested

uBlock Origin just wow best adblocker they say... i hope it blocks youtube ads too in videos.

Ghostery not interested

HTTPS Everywhere, good but not interested now

Add-on update checker not interested

I'm looking for totally free solution. Emsisoft looks cool, you can disable file guard (real-time) and have safe web, but is it free? SpywareBlaster has good safe web features too but using both may have conflicts I guess. Moreover, you said Emsisoft has exploit protection (and anti-ransomware it says in website) and you are also using malwarebytes solution of anti-exploit, isn't this a conflict?

Edited by Xtreme512, 17 April 2017 - 12:33 PM.

#10 Xtreme512

Xtreme512
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2017 - 12:56 PM

My god! uBlock Origin is fantastic! I visit this specific website regularly (it is an OK website, a scene site rlslog.net) but it shows some bad ads and pop-ups that may be really dangerous for untrained users. Furthermore, these type of websites may also inject trojans etc. For example I found out that, 7 years ago this site was spreading Bloodhound virus through some script. I was also using sceper.ws and stopped visiting due to the similar thing. I wasn't infected but it was so clear that it was trying to harm my PC.

After started using trial of Malwarebytes Premium 10 days ago until now, the safe web function just showed many warnings that outbound connection is blocked to a website from rlslog (clearly a pop-up I suppose which I usually close immediately). I said until now, no more messages like that when uBlock Origin is active!

I can't thank you enough for this suggestion. I guess, I don't have to use an additional software for safe web function now.

Edited by Xtreme512, 17 April 2017 - 12:57 PM.

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 49,588 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2017 - 04:07 PM

You're welcome.
Windows Insider MVP 2017

#12 robby501

robby501

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2017 - 04:57 AM

I have had the free version of Zemana (BC download) installed on my notebook for well over 18 months now which is set up to do a daily background scan and I haven't been infected since (as far as i know). Although the free version does not give real-time protection, it appears to work flawlessly in win10 and I wouldn't want to be without it for use as a safety net in case anything slips past Defender.

Edited by robby501, 18 April 2017 - 06:18 AM.

Im a rookie and purely recreational pc user. Im utterly obsessed with security (even though I consider myself a safe and law-abiding internet user!) and run a combo of the following freeware security suites.....

Windows Defender/firewall

Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit

Regular scans with SuperAntiSpyware, Zemana, AdwCleaner

#13 Xtreme512

Xtreme512
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2017 - 07:52 AM

I have had the free version of Zemana (BC download) installed on my notebook for well over 18 months now which is set up to do a daily background scan and I haven't been infected since (as far as i know). Although the free version does not give real-time protection, it appears to work flawlessly in win10 and I wouldn't want to be without it for use as a safety net in case anything slips past Defender.

I looked free version does not cover safe web or anti-ransomware. they say they are the best at anti-ransomware but all I found is Kaspersky's solution works wonders. I think I'm gonna pass safe web function because uBlock Origin is proactively protecting at web.

After 3 days I will install anti-ransomware Kaspersky, anti-exploit Malwarebytes (this is also 0-day protection) and that's it. I also have Defender for main AV real-time and Malwarebytes free for scanning.

For network monitoring I want to try out GlassWire. Can I use it freely? I don't want to have firewall mechanism though because I have Windows Firewall active.

#14 Xtreme512

Xtreme512
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2017 - 11:26 AM

I have another question. Is it better to scan system monthly with FRST or Malwarebytes free is enough?

#15 robby501

robby501

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2017 - 02:49 PM

I looked free version does not cover safe web or anti-ransomware. they say they are the best at anti-ransomware but all I found is Kaspersky's solution works wonders. I think I'm gonna pass safe web function because uBlock Origin is proactively protecting at web.

After 3 days I will install anti-ransomware Kaspersky, anti-exploit Malwarebytes (this is also 0-day protection) and that's it. I also have Defender for main AV real-time and Malwarebytes free for scanning.

For network monitoring I want to try out GlassWire. Can I use it freely? I don't want to have firewall mechanism though because I have Windows Firewall active.

As far as I am aware, the only free program that offers decent and specific protection against ransomware is MWB AntiRansomware Beta version. I am sure there are other (and maybe better) paid-for AR suites available. I had Glasswire installed on my notebook for a while at a time when I was convinced my wireless was being hacked and although it's undoubtedly a neat program, I soon came to the conclusion I wasn't being hacked after all (it was PUP's that were slowing me down). When I used Glasswire it was free to use, but as in most cases with free security, there are usually more comprehensive and better-equipped versions available that you have to pay for.

I myself am a purely recreational rookie pc user. if the few files I have on my device were ever encrypted by ransomware, I'd simply wipe my drive and start over because I have everything I need backed up. 

Personally, I think you can drive yourself nuts worrying about what security you need (or THINK you need!) to have installed on a device, as well as wondering if one scanner is better than another etc. I know I did! A good anti-exploit program, Win Defender/firewall and a daily automated Zemana scan is all I'll ever need myself as long as I keep using my pc the way I do. But everyone's needs are different because I can't imagine any 2 people globally will use their personal devices the same (browsing habits etc). There is no 'one size fits all' solution as far as computer security is concerned.

As far as scanners are concerned, all good ones now use a cloud database with all of them sharing one another's database of definitions to a large extent, so all of them, technically speaking, should be as good as one another....provided, of course, you update their definitions when prompted....and that the program itself is legit! (as in those available on Bleeping Computer).

As a novice pc user, I was convinced at one time that more was better as far as security was concerned, but now I have learnt to lighten up a bit and only use what is necessary for my own needs. This has come about all through trial-and-error as well as a little research on my part.

Personally, my own golden rules of safe computing NOW are as follows 

1. Have just ONE good AV/firewall suite. Win Defender seems just fine.

2. MWB Anti-Exploit for protection against zero-day (yet-to-be-defined) malware. (Voodoo Shield looks interesting too for this).

3. Update definitions of scanners, AV, Windows, browsers regularly and/or when prompted, as well as all other programs you have installed (Secunia PSI comes in handy for this)

4. Use a good scanner DAILY, weekly at least. I certainly wouldn't wait a month between scanning.

5. Most important of all, back up everything essential.

That's basically it. For me, at least. But all our needs vary.

I haven't mentioned e-mail threats because I know little about them due to not using the facility much and never opening spam, but as I understand it to be, that is where most ransomware will originate from.

An interesting topic you started here and I hope you haven't minded me joining in the debate. As mentioned, I'm only a rookie pc user and my comments are in no way intended to serve as advice of any kind.

Im a rookie and purely recreational pc user. Im utterly obsessed with security (even though I consider myself a safe and law-abiding internet user!) and run a combo of the following freeware security suites.....

Windows Defender/firewall

Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit

Regular scans with SuperAntiSpyware, Zemana, AdwCleaner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users