Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Using An Lcd Screen As A Laptop Monitor - Help!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sambs8

sambs8

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 05 September 2006 - 03:04 PM

Hi

I was wondering if anyone would be able to offer me any advice on the following:

I want to buy an LG 26LZ55 LCD monitor and use it as a screen for my laptop. On my laptop I have a '15-hole' plug where a monitor output lead would go and I believe this is called a VGA. I am pretty sure that the LCD I am proposing to buy has a VGA connection.

(1) Am I correct that a simple VGA lead would enable me to use this LCD as a screen for my laptop?
(2) To what extent do I need to worry about resolutions/refresh rates etc? I don't even know if I have a graphics card (is it essential that I have one?). I predominantly want to use the screen for watching films played through my laptop (either divx or dvd) as well as as a standard television - will this be a simple matter of plugging the screen in or is there more to it? I have heard of people getting flickering screens etc. and wanted to check that my laptop was capable of what I am proposing to do before shelling out 500 quid on a screen!

I would greatly appreciate any advice anyone could give me on this.

Cheers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 05 September 2006 - 11:37 PM

I searched the internet for the LG 26LZ55, I've found it listed as a HD LCD television not a monitor. In this case, the the TV uses S-Video you should check to make sure your video card supports this before purchasing. Most video cards, especially those in a laptop, don't support this but some do. It is possible to get a converter that will convert the S-Video signal to VGA. All LCD's offer very good resolutions for playback for DivX and DVD's. Flickering is only happens in CRT monitors. For LCD's you should should look for a monitor that has, at least in my opinion: a contrast ratio of 700:1 or higher, response time of 8ms or less, and supports a resolution of 1280x960 or better. This information can be found on the product packaging or, if you're buying on the internet, on a product specifications page. If you're looking for a good LCD monitor, check Newegg.com and look for monitors under computer hardware.

3939.png

#3 Gothmog

Gothmog

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 06 September 2006 - 12:01 AM

I want to buy an LG 26LZ55 LCD monitor and use it as a screen for my laptop. On my laptop I have a '15-hole' plug where a monitor output lead would go and I believe this is called a VGA. I am pretty sure that the LCD I am proposing to buy has a VGA connection.

after googleing the monitor I found a bunch of sites selling that model (LG Electronics RZ-26LZ55 ) and two sites said the output was DVI and one said S-video. When you buy it make sure you know what kind of video input it takes so you can get a VGA converter to connect to your laptop.

(1) Am I correct that a simple VGA lead would enable me to use this LCD as a screen for my laptop?

yes you can use the LCD screen w/ your laptop, but I have a feeling you will need a DVI<->VGA converter. (it just plugs into your VGA port on your laptop and the end of the video cable. the LCD might come with one, I have gotten one with both of my video cards.)

(2) To what extent do I need to worry about resolutions/refresh rates etc?

All non-CRT monitors (ie LCD and plasma) have a native resolution. This one is 1280 x 768. If you set your desktop to a lower resolution you will get a little distortion, much like your laptop screen.

I don't even know if I have a graphics card (is it essential that I have one?).

you have some kind of graphics card, integrated or otherwise, so you can see anything on your laptop's LCD. All laptops have a VGA port so you can hook up to a desktop display(since most laptops had small crappy screens traditionally) or a projector for presentations etc. You can tell its the VGA port because it is the only port on a computer with 3 rows of holes and today they are commonly blue.

I predominantly want to use the screen for watching films played through my laptop (either divx or dvd) as well as as a standard television - will this be a simple matter of plugging the screen in or is there more to it? I have heard of people getting flickering screens etc. and wanted to check that my laptop was capable of what I am proposing to do before shelling out 500 quid on a screen!

It is listed as a 26" LCD TV so I don't see any problems, it is HDTV ready and has 2 integrated speakers. You will just need a DVI<->VGA connverter, as I said many times now, to plug into the laptop

edit-the contrast ratio is 600:1 so that is a little lower than DJBPace07 recommends, but it does list PC connectability so it should work for both. Have you checked Dell for LCD monitors? I don't know if you can get Dell stuff over there, but they have good prices on LCDs sometimes, you may need to look in tvs instead of monitors though (like this LG).

Edited by Gothmog, 06 September 2006 - 12:14 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users