Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Accidental making of EFI System Partition

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ElectricWizard

ElectricWizard

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 11 April 2017 - 07:50 AM

Good day,

After a stupid mishap with dual booting Ubuntu and Win 10 (installed Ubuntu on different drive than Windows by accident), I am left with Windows on my C: drive, and the residual Ubuntu crap on my media drive (H: ). I ended up not being able to boot Windows because I was using the Grub bootloader, which couldn't find Windows. I stupidly decided the best way to get rid of Ubuntu and to boot back into Windows normally was to just delete the Ubuntu partitions on my H: drive. Now the whole drive is an EFI system partition. I was only able to boot into Windows again after booting from a Windows 10 USB drive and using diskpart to repair the boot files. So now I am stuck with an H: drive with 1.5 TB of videos and music that I cannot access. 

My question is, is there any way of converting this somehow to a regular disk and having my drive back? Or at least being able to access the drive so I can get my stuff off of it? I have mounted it, but get an error when trying to access the drive (see pictures). I know I can just reformat the drive and make it a 'normal' drive again, but the object is to either keep or somehow save the videos and music on the drive. I can see that the files are still on there, I just cannot access them (see the file explorer picture)

Here are my partitions and the error I get when accessing the H drive: https://imgur.com/a/GOcY1 

Thank you in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 11 April 2017 - 05:08 PM

Use Diskpart command to assign new drive letter to efi system partition. You may have to give yourself a permission to access the efi system partition.

Posted Image

#3 ElectricWizard

ElectricWizard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2017 - 05:49 PM

Use Diskpart command to assign new drive letter to efi system partition. You may have to give yourself a permission to access the efi system partition.

I assigned the letter H: in diskpart, which is why the access denied error message comes up when I try to access it. 

What permission do I have to assign? 

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2017 - 06:00 PM

Assign Administrators group ownership of the H: partition and give your user account and administrators group  full permission.

Posted Image

#5 ElectricWizard

ElectricWizard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2017 - 06:13 PM

Assign Administrators group ownership of the H: partition and give your user account and administrators group  full permission.

I already had Administrators with full control of the drive, and my account as well. I changed the ownership, but the problem still exists. 

#6 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2017 - 06:16 PM

I think you should use Recuva software to recover deleted files yes they most likely deleted when you convert MBR disk to UEFI disk.

Posted Image

#7 ElectricWizard

ElectricWizard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2017 - 09:14 PM

I think you should use Recuva software to recover deleted files yes they most likely deleted when you convert MBR disk to UEFI disk.

The files are still on there, I just cannot access them. If you look in one of the images I linked, you can see behind the error message that the drive is almost half full. If the files were deleted it would be almost empty. Also, even when looking through the file selection dialogue of Recuva, I can see the folders and whatnot just as I left them. But when I am in Windows Explorer, I get the access denied error message. 

#8 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2017 - 09:47 PM

Execute following commands from Command Prompt open as a administrator to make sure files still exist.

H:

Dir  /a  /s 

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users