Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Can I Free Up More Ram Space?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ganemede

ganemede

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 05 September 2006 - 02:36 PM

I only have 240MB of RAM and programs that use a lot of memory are runing slowly. Is there a way to free up more memory? (If my hard drive was full, I'd simply delete some files.) I guess I don't know that much about RAM.

Suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 05 September 2006 - 11:44 PM

First of all, if you've got some money to burn, look into expanding your memory to 512MB or more. But, if you're cash-strapped you can stop some processes that are eating up your RAM. Antivirus programs take alot of memory so you can disable that, but you'll be without their protection until re-enabled. You can also hit CTRL+ALT+Delete on your keyboard in Windows XP and click on the processes tab. That will show you everything that's running, DO NOT end processes that have a user name of Local Service, Network Service, or System. Anything else you can end, but don't shut down explorer.exe and keep in mind that terminating process can cause problems if your computer depends on them for normal operation.

3939.png

#3 Gothmog

Gothmog

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2006 - 12:57 AM

what OS are you using? If you are using XP I would't use less than 512 MB. The official XP site 128 MB for XP home, but that will leave you staring at the screen, watching programs load, as it uses all that slow as hell VRAM it loves.

Freeing up Ram isn't like your hard drive where you can delete what is filling it up. RAM is the home of the active programs that are running. A good place to start freeing up ram is with the stuff you don't want, like spyware. If you have these you can remove them with free programs like spyware blaster.
You can also free up ram by managing the programs that lauch at startup. You can do this with a Startup manager that lists all the tasks that are launched at startup. You may want to stay away from this if you are not to confident in your computer abilities/knowledge because you could screw up the OS Startup. Starter 5.6.2.0 is a free startup manager you can d/l from softpedia, but be careful what you change. A good policy is to not change anything you don't recognize or can't identify because I find those are always important to the system

Of course the easiest way is to just add more RAM. You can find out what you need by using the Corsair configurator or the Crucial Memory Advisorô Tool. You need to know a little about your system, but the info shouldn't be too hard to find

#4 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 06 September 2006 - 04:25 AM

If you would like to learn more about your RAM, read the tutorial here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/identifying-and-upgrading-ram/

Cheers

Edited by jgweed, 06 September 2006 - 08:39 AM.

rowal5555 (Rob ) † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † †† † † † † † † † † † † † † †

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#5 ComputerMan23

ComputerMan23

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2006 - 07:25 PM

I only have 240MB of RAM and programs that use a lot of memory are runing slowly. Is there a way to free up more memory? (If my hard drive was full, I'd simply delete some files.) I guess I don't know that much about RAM.

Suggestions?

google free ram xp pro. its a free download, and it very simple to use. i use it and have for a year or so. highly recommand it.

#6 ComputerMan23

ComputerMan23

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2006 - 07:27 PM

the website is http://www.yourwaresolutions.com/ .

the download link is 1 or 2 paragraphs down. hope this helps.

what kind of computer do you have? its always nice to add more physical ram.

#7 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 11 September 2006 - 04:21 AM

The best way to clear up your system is to reboot and let it look after itself. RAM freeing programmes are not recommended because, although they do this, they push memory onto your hard drive which will tend to actually make your system run slower as this takes longer to access than RAM.

512MB is really the minimum you need to run XP at a decent speed.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob ) † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † †† † † † † † † † † † † † † †

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users