Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing Linux Mint as a Virtual Machine on Windows 10.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Sam Gunn

Sam Gunn

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 10 April 2017 - 04:48 PM

It has been over a year since I installed a VM. It was Windows XP on Vista. I got the VM up, and I put the disk in. Now it has Linux Mint on there. It says Erase disk, and install Linux Mint. Should I go with that? I don't know if this should go onto the Linux section of the forum, or Windows 10. It is on Windows 10, so I posted it here.

This is on a Dell Inspiron 15 5,000 series laptop. With 16 GB of ram.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 11 April 2017 - 03:47 AM

How to install Linux Mint as a virtual machine using Windows in 5 easy steps

Posted Image

#3 orlbuckeye

orlbuckeye

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 11 April 2017 - 12:44 PM

What VM software are you using? Oracle's Visual Toolbox is pretty popular and is easy to install. All you have to do is point the the install file and it will install inside the virtual machine.

• Alienware 18 Intel Core i7 4810 QM 16GB DDR3
  • 18.4" (1920 x1080) 
  • 1 TB Samsung EVO MSATA SSD 1 TB WD 5400 RPM HD 750 GB WD 5400 RPM HD
  • Nvidia GT 860 GM SLI graphics
  • Windows 10 Pro + Surface Book i5 256gb SSD 8gb RAM DGPU

#4 Sam Gunn

Sam Gunn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 11 April 2017 - 05:24 PM

Hey orlbuckeye, I'm using Oracle VM VirtualBox. I was just uncertain about one sentence.Thanks for the link FreeBooter.  Iws this part that I was looking for.

"You are now presented with a screen asking where you want to install Linux Mint. Remember this is a virtual machine with a virtual hard drive so you can't do any damage to your host system.

Normally I like to choose "something else" and partition the drive myself but as it is a virtual machine I recommend selecting the "Erase disk and install Linux Mint" option."

When I saw the words erase disk, then I panic. I didn't know what to do after that. I have a VM on my old computer, but didn't run it much. The old one has 3 GB of RAM.

#5 orlbuckeye

orlbuckeye

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 12 April 2017 - 08:22 AM

Don't worry it's like a PC inside a PC. It's going to install on the virtual machine C Drive. As long as your running it from within Toolbox your OK. 

• Alienware 18 Intel Core i7 4810 QM 16GB DDR3
  • 18.4" (1920 x1080) 
  • 1 TB Samsung EVO MSATA SSD 1 TB WD 5400 RPM HD 750 GB WD 5400 RPM HD
  • Nvidia GT 860 GM SLI graphics
  • Windows 10 Pro + Surface Book i5 256gb SSD 8gb RAM DGPU

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users