Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet not working after Malware removal

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 yakoi

yakoi

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 10 April 2017 - 03:16 PM

I kept getting popups on chrome and my homepage had changed, and I had a secure search toolbar thing.
I got Adwcleaner and hoped it would get rid of it. When the scan finished and before I restarted, I checked chrome and the toolbar wasn't there.
When I restarted my computer and logged in, there was no internet. I looked up solutions and tried everything, I think.
netsh winsock reset, netsh interface ipv4 reset, netsh interface ipv6 reset, and ipconfig /flushdns didn't work in cmd (with administrator)
I've checked lan settings aswell.
I ran malwarebytes and nothing, I tried to do a system restore twice and it failed both times.
I wiped my entire computer and still no internet.
I ran MiniToolBox today and I've attached the report it gave me.
This all happened yesterday.

Any help would be appreciated!

Attached Files

• Attached File  MTB.txt   39.78KB   1 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,416 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2017 - 04:14 PM

I wiped my entire computer and still no internet.

Do you mean you used the Windows 10 reset option? Are you connecting using Ethernet? If not does Ethernet work? Are there any yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager?

#3 yakoi

yakoi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2017 - 04:49 PM

Yes, and yes I am using Ethernet. I don't see any yellow exclamation marks anywhere in Device Manager.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,416 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2017 - 04:58 PM

A reset of the OS should have repaired your internet connection. What is the model number of the lenovo? Please right click your LAN adapter in Device Manager and select Properties. Under the Details tab select Hardware IDs in the dropdown box. Copy and Post the first line.

Edit: As strange as it may seem a poster on BC was able to bring back internet by powercycling the computer. Pull your power cord. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Replace your power cord and reboot. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 10 April 2017 - 05:01 PM.

#5 yakoi

yakoi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2017 - 06:46 PM

Thank you so much!
The power cycling option worked, I didn't think I'd ever find a solution.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,416 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2017 - 07:19 PM

Your Welcome,

I actually could not believe the poster was able to restore Ethernet using a powercycle but stranger things have happened when talking computers. Glad you have your internet back and thanks for the update.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users