Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Any recommendations for laptop surge protector?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MaryBet82

MaryBet82

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 10 April 2017 - 02:07 PM

My sister needs a surge protector for her laptop and tablet. I have an old one that I used w/ my Sony lemon that connected in line w/ the power cord. My understanding is that over time surge protectors get used up by absorbing the shocks that would otherwise damage the computer. As far as I know there is no way to test the surge protector for how much absorbing power it has left - you just replace it after x number of years. So I figure she should purchase a new one - I've seen them online for only $13. I don't know if the $13 ones give you adequate protection. I liked the ones that plugged directly into the outlet, rather than having that extra weight dangling on the power cord.

Our electricity occasionally goes out w/out any warning and in good weather. I think it's a transformer acting up. The power often goes off and on quickly, making loud noises, while I run around trying to unplug everything before it goes on again.  [When we have a lightning storm we unplug.] So I'd like a good quality surge protector that can handle the no warning voltage fluctuations we get.

From previous reading I remember that you want a surge protector that will even out the voltage to protect the computer's components and one that will cut out "line noise". I just don't know how to determine a good surge protector from an inadequate one. I tried reading reviews, but everything got very technical very fast.

I've used Belkin and APC in the past. Can I safely just pick one based on footprint or outlet-type, price and power needed? Should I look for a certain type - linear, etc?

mac 10.6 on macbook pro
WinXP sp2 on Dell 380 w/ 512 MB RAM- currently dead in the water
WinXP tab ed sp 3 on Thinkpad X41 w/ 1.5 GB RAM - lemony flavored
Win2K Sp4 on Sony VAIO GXR600 w/ 512 MB RAM - currently blue screening

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 10 April 2017 - 02:17 PM

I like you prefer inline. This is what I use. https://www.amazon.com/APC-SurgeArrest-Notebook-Pro-Suppressor/dp/B00066ISFM

I'm also an APC fan,

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 10 April 2017 - 02:21 PM

Are we talking only surge protectors, or, are we including inline UPSs?  Reason for asking:  if the power flickers, browns out, blacks out, a surge protector will not provide power to a desktop or TV hooked up to a computer; laptops will run on its battery until the battery drains.  I think an UPS with AVR might be the best choice.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 10 April 2017 - 02:23 PM

New Egg has the APC BN700MC Back-UPS on sale today for $50, even though you don't need the battery backup part.  I've also purchased APC SurgeArrest for devices that don't need battery backup.

#5 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 19 April 2017 - 02:36 PM

I'm also an APC fan,

Seconded.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users