Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HDMI connection (laptop to TV) no longer working like before

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cjits

cjits

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 10 April 2017 - 12:56 PM

Hi everyone,

I frequently connect my laptop to my TV through HDMI without any troubles. But today when I connected my laptop, I was only getting a black screen on my TV.
I checked the HDMI cable and it works fine with my cable box and I've also been looking through my computer settings and even updated my drivers but still no luck. Tried connecting with a different TV and that works, so I'm thinking the problem is TV sided?

I should note though, after messing with the refresh rate and trying 50i or 60i or anything with an "i" Hz instead of a "p", I was able to project my laptop screen to my TV screen. But... The image was bad and the audio was cracking and so it wasn't really viewable. At least not like before.
Does anyone have any idea as to what has happened?

Please help,

Jitse

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 10 April 2017 - 01:10 PM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Has anything changed since it last worked?

Have you tried using a different HDMI cable?

Have you updated your video drivers (either before the problem or after)?

#3 cjits

cjits
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2017 - 01:24 PM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Has anything changed since it last worked?

Have you tried using a different HDMI cable?

Have you updated your video drivers (either before the problem or after)?

I don't think anything special changed since the last time it worked and I updated my video drivers after the problem to see if that would resolve my problem but it sadly didn't...

I don't have an extra HDMI cable around atm I'm afraid.

Trying to do a system restore right now but I keep getting an error saying that it did not complete successfully.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 10 April 2017 - 05:24 PM

As Kilroy has said, it could be your cable but there are other possibilities.

You don't say anything about what type of computer or OS you are using but this works for most varieties of Windows. Connect your laptop to the TV as you would normally - mute the sound on the TV if noise is bothering you - and make sure the TV has the appropriate HDMI input selected, then RIGHT click on an empty spot on your laptop screen. This brings up a small menu. Click on 'Screen resolution' then click 'Detect'. You should now see a graphic with two screens numbered '1' and '2'. Click on '2' and see if your laptop now displays on the TV.

This may not work but it is very quick and simple. Your laptop should automatically output to the TV.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 cjits

cjits
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2017 - 07:53 PM

As Kilroy has said, it could be your cable but there are other possibilities.

You don't say anything about what type of computer or OS you are using but this works for most varieties of Windows. Connect your laptop to the TV as you would normally - mute the sound on the TV if noise is bothering you - and make sure the TV has the appropriate HDMI input selected, then RIGHT click on an empty spot on your laptop screen. This brings up a small menu. Click on 'Screen resolution' then click 'Detect'. You should now see a graphic with two screens numbered '1' and '2'. Click on '2' and see if your laptop now displays on the TV.

This may not work but it is very quick and simple. Your laptop should automatically output to the TV.

Chris Cosgrove

Yes of course, I'm sorry. I wasn't sure if details about my computer were necessary or not.

I have a fairly new MSI laptop with Windows 10 trying to connect with a Toshiba TV.

Thank you for the suggestion, I'll try it out tomorrow!

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 11 April 2017 - 06:21 PM

I wasn't sure if details about my computer were necessary or not.

It's always useful information !  With it you can look up for example either specifications or known faults, or even - if worst comes to the worst - for teardown vids on youTube.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users