Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ctrl+T not working anywhere

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mnathan1221

mnathan1221

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 10 April 2017 - 10:34 AM

I usually do pretty well at fixing computer issues, but this one has me completely stumped. Ctrl+T does not work in any program. However, Ctrl+Win+T performs the action everywhere just fine. So far I only use it with Photoshop, Chrome and Firefox. Here's what I can tell you:

- as far as I've noticed, every other shortcut works

- uninstalling the keyboard, restarting did not work

- does not work with either Ctrl key

- external keyboard still giving me the same problem

- ctrl+shift+t (reopen last closed tab and jump to it) works so it looks like it's only the ctrl+t combination that gives me this issue

I used a freeware program called "Key Scan Codes" to see if I noticed anything strange comparing a working shortcut vs the Ctrol + T, and here's what I found:

-------------------------------

Ctrl + C (works fine):

OnKeyDown, Key code=17, Control keys= Ctrl{Left}, Key name CTRL
OnKeyDown, Key code=67, Control keys= Ctrl{Left}, Key name c
OnKeyPress
OnKeyup, Key code=67, Control keys= Ctrl{Left}, Key name c
OnKeyup, Key code=17, Control keys=, Key name CTRL

Ctrl + T:

OnKeyDown, Key code=17, Control keys= Ctrl{Left}, Key name CTRL
OnKeyup, Key code=84, Control keys= Ctrl{Left}, Key name t
OnKeyup, Key code=17, Control keys=, Key name CTRL

-------------------------------

I'm seeing a missing "OnKeyPress" and "OnKeyUp" for Ctrl + T.

I've used this computer for years and never had this issue. It just suddenly stopped working. Anyone have any idea how to get this fixed?

Edited by mnathan1221, 10 April 2017 - 03:41 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mnathan1221

mnathan1221
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 10 April 2017 - 04:10 PM

Found the problem. Was about to delete this thread but figured I should leave it open if anyone else ever has a problem with Keyboard shortcuts.

Apparently, some software tends to "hijack" shortcuts and prevents other programs from using them. In my case, it's a program I've used for years so I'm not sure why it suddenly began doing this. The way I did it was go to Task Manager, End Process one at a time for files belonging to installed software. After each one, I'd try the shortcut. Finally, found the one that was giving me issues.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users