Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I Download Sierra updates on a flash drive

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Jakealope

Jakealope

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 10 April 2017 - 08:07 AM

I have satellite internet service with a data limit so I'm always trying to figure out ways to save data.  I have a Mac Mini that needs to update.  Is it possible to download the update onto a flash drive on my macbook air from my office and then install the update from the flash drive onto the MAC mini?  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 10 April 2017 - 01:50 PM

I think you should be able to download them as .dmg files from here - https://support.apple.com/en_GB/downloads/macos

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2017 - 01:57 PM

Yes, assuming both computers use the same AppleID with the App Store (all "purchases" through the App Store, even free ones, are linked to the AppleID that "purchased" that app). The updater/installer will be downloaded to the Applications folder. Just copy the updater/installer to the flash drive BEFORE you use it to update Air (if you are going to update the Air, that is). The reason is that when you run the updater/installer from the Applications folder, it will be removed after the installation completes.

And I would suggest keeping a backup copy of it on the flash drive (or somewhere else) so you don't have to download it again if you ever need it in the future. I keep a backup copy of every macOS update I have ever downloaded from the App Store.

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2017 - 02:02 PM

I think you should be able to download them as .dmg files from here - https://support.apple.com/en_GB/downloads/macos

If it is the updater/installer to go from an older version such as El Capitan or Yosemite, etc, then no, you cannot get it from that link. You can only get major upgrades (i.e. 10.x upgrades) from the App Store.

You can get minor updates and security updates (i.e. 10.x.x updates) from that link rather than through the App Store.

#5 Jakealope

Jakealope
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2017 - 08:24 AM

Thanks for the help.  I need to download those March 27 updates and then install on the MAC mini.

#6 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2017 - 07:32 PM

Thanks for the help.  I need to download those March 27 updates and then install on the MAC mini.

Then that would be the link provided by jonuk76. That page will have all incremental macOS updates, security updates, Apple apps updates (i.e. apps like Safari, iTunes, etc) and other Apple updates that will come typically by way of the Updates tab in the App Store. The key thing is that you will need to know which updates you need, find them and download them individually. So, you likely will first want to go to the App Store and see what updates are listed there and write them down (with the EXACT title) so that you can then do find them.

One thing to note is that this will NOT include updates to non-Apple apps that you have "bought" (i.e. whether free or cost actual money) through the App Store. To my knowledge, those have to be done through the Update tab in the App Store. So, there is no way that I know of to download those updates on another computer. For most, this is likely not a problem as most apps on the App Store are pretty small, but there are some that can get quite large.

My original post will more apply when Apple releases a new macOS major upgrade...aka 10.13 (or whatever California landmark they name it after). This assume, of course, that you want to update to it and/or that you can update to it (i.e. your Mac was not dropped from support of new macOS versions).

#7 Jakealope

Jakealope
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2017 - 08:29 PM

Thanks for the info.  One more question......is it possible to "schedule" an update.  I have unlimited data between 2AM and 6AM.

#8 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2017 - 09:08 PM

Yes...kind of...if memory serves. I believe that the macOS gives you the ability to select an "install" later option which is labeled as "later tonight" (I am going by memory...my Mac is not currently nagging me to update even though I have some updates sitting there), but does not specify when "later tonight" actually is. This thread on the Apple support site offers one post that suggests that it might be between 2 am and 5 am (see the last post):

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7150419?start=0&tstart=0

I have not idea if that is accurate or not. I might try it tonight...assuming I can get a nag from the OS before I go to bed. If not, then try it later this week when it nags me. I believe I have found how it would be noted in the Console logs if the download happened (I am likely not going to stay and sit there watching my computer <grin>). So, if you are not in a huge hurry, I might be able to complete the experiment and see what happens.

Beyond that, you likely could find other methods. That thread on the Apple support site does have a couple other posts with possible options mentioned. And you likely could use a macro program potentially do a macro timed download using Safari or the App Store.

#9 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 11 April 2017 - 11:44 PM

Thanks for the info.  One more question......is it possible to "schedule" an update.  I have unlimited data between 2AM and 6AM.

Automator to download update at a certain time

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users