Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help regarding Emsisoft . Please!

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 rebeccavalentine

rebeccavalentine

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 10 April 2017 - 07:56 AM

I have a gaming laptop ASUS, which i bought a month ago. Windows 10.

I use Avira free anti virus & MalwareBytes  free version to run scans once a week. 

But now i want to go for a paid version of anti malware along with using the avira free anti virus. I was keen on buying MB 3.0 premium version but i saw many complaints related to the latest version on their forum. I too got some bugs with MB 3.0 free version so decided against it.

Now, I am thinking about going for Emsisoft antimalware. But I saw some tests ( like AVTest ) which concluded that emsisoft does not block much threats & slows down the system. Is that true? Can it be trusted to protect my system fully?

And what is this VoodooShield that i hear about? I dont seem to understand what it is, no matter how hard i try. Can someone please explain?

Can someone please help me out on this. Thanks in advance!

Edited by rebeccavalentine, 11 April 2017 - 05:49 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,750 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 10 April 2017 - 01:36 PM

Both EMSI products have trial periods. Why not try them and then ask your specific questions in their support forums directly. To see if they meet your needs. https://support.emsisoft.com

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 10 April 2017 - 02:07 PM

ask your specific questions in their support forums directly. 

I see the poster already has

https://support.emsisoft.com/topic/27188-need-help-with-eis-please/

#4 rebeccavalentine

rebeccavalentine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2017 - 05:53 AM

Both EMSI products have trial periods. Why not try them and then ask your specific questions in their support forums directly. To see if they meet your needs. https://support.emsisoft.com

Yes I did. 

But they did not know much about voodooshield, but i am keen on knowing what it is. I saw a group of anti malware experts talking very highly about it in an open forum. They were saying how it perfectly compliments EIS. SO wanted to know what it is. That is why i posted in this forum. 

& moreover, instead of asking EIS experts in how efficient & fast their product is ( they will obviously answer with a yes no? )  i wanted to ask EIS users. I have heard how, many users of this forum use EIS already. so wanted to have a genuine opinion.

Thanks.

Edited by rebeccavalentine, 11 April 2017 - 05:54 AM.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,749 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 11 April 2017 - 01:02 PM

BleepingComputer Review: VoodooShield

VoodooShield is a security program that is unlike most traditional anti-virus programs. Instead of scanning your computer for known malware or using definition files to detect infections, VoodooShield instead locks your computer so that you are notified when an unknown process is started. This allows you to lock down your computer so that it only executes applications that you specifically whitelist and denies all other programs. This makes it impossible for an application to run without you first giving your express approval.

When first run, VoodooShield will start in Training mode where it detects the legitimate applications that you normally run. It adds this list of running processes into your whitelist and allows the programs to run without asking for your permission. Once VoodooShield is out of Training Mode and turned on, it will block any unknown process from running and ask if you wish to allow it to execute.

The Windows Club: VoodooShield review

The tool is designed to be a better alternative to the Microsoft Windows User Account Control (UAC) that notifies you when changes are going to be made to your computer. Although it is compatible with UAC, VoodooShield works best with UAC disabled, and on computers whose user accounts run as administrator. During installation, VoodooShield will disable UAC so it can run in an optimal state.

Once turned on, the program will protect your status quo and not allow anything new to run. If something new does attempt to run, you will be notified and your permission will be sought to allow it or not. When installed, the lightweight application resides as an icon in the system tray.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 badtoad

badtoad

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2017 - 03:19 PM

Voodooshields protection is dependent on users knowledge.Sometimes it will block a process that is needed,or is not a threat.If you like hands off security Voodooshield may be too much.If you like to learn it will not take long to learn its quirks.Wilders Security has a forum dedicated to Voodooshield if you want to learn more.Tested on YouTube also.

#7 rebeccavalentine

rebeccavalentine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2017 - 03:44 PM

Voodooshields protection is dependent on users knowledge.Sometimes it will block a process that is needed,or is not a threat.If you like hands off security Voodooshield may be too much.If you like to learn it will not take long to learn its quirks.Wilders Security has a forum dedicated to Voodooshield if you want to learn more.Tested on YouTube also.

Oh. Thanks a ton for this.

Yes, I'd definitely like to learn more about VS :) 

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,749 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2017 - 05:34 PM

VoodooShield Discussion Topic

#9 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2017 - 03:48 AM

Thanks for the leads on VoodooShield, will have to try this on a couple of my 'testbed' OS's. :)

If all is OK, then will need no other security. although will keep the inbuilt Windows Defender spyware app (Windows 7) which has intercepted a few threats deep in the backfield, and Windows Defender AV (8.1/10), which hogs resources like mad & does little to protect anyone. Proof that it's constantly scanning can be found in the CCleaner tab for Windows Defender cleaning (click on Detailed View), even if only ran 2-3 hours, there's 8-10 log files generated. Yet WD is nowhere close to the protection as the initial releases of MSE back in 2009-10. :(

Although I don't see how VoodooShield relates to Emsisoft Internet Security or Anti Malware, unless it's an inbuilt feature that I'm not aware of, have been noticing more items in quarantine (silently) as of late, mostly Google Toolbar installers. The UAC is still running normally as well. Still, a potentially great discovery, will certainly put to the test. Then scan will Emsisoft Emergency Kit (EEK) weekly to ensure that VoodooShield is doing it's job. In this day & time, we cannot blindly trust any app to keep us safe, rather practice safe computing habits, which is the main medium between having a clean or infected Windows install. :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#10 rebeccavalentine

rebeccavalentine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2017 - 02:41 PM

Thanks a lot quietman7 for all the links. Reading all of them. Thank you so much!! :) 

#11 rebeccavalentine

rebeccavalentine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2017 - 02:43 PM

Thanks for the leads on VoodooShield, will have to try this on a couple of my 'testbed' OS's. :)

If all is OK, then will need no other security. although will keep the inbuilt Windows Defender spyware app (Windows 7) which has intercepted a few threats deep in the backfield, and Windows Defender AV (8.1/10), which hogs resources like mad & does little to protect anyone. Proof that it's constantly scanning can be found in the CCleaner tab for Windows Defender cleaning (click on Detailed View), even if only ran 2-3 hours, there's 8-10 log files generated. Yet WD is nowhere close to the protection as the initial releases of MSE back in 2009-10. :(

Although I don't see how VoodooShield relates to Emsisoft Internet Security or Anti Malware, unless it's an inbuilt feature that I'm not aware of, have been noticing more items in quarantine (silently) as of late, mostly Google Toolbar installers. The UAC is still running normally as well. Still, a potentially great discovery, will certainly put to the test. Then scan will Emsisoft Emergency Kit (EEK) weekly to ensure that VoodooShield is doing it's job. In this day & time, we cannot blindly trust any app to keep us safe, rather practice safe computing habits, which is the main medium between having a clean or infected Windows install. :)

Cat

True..

And, Thank you for the advise. :) 

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,749 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2017 - 02:46 PM

Not a problem. Enjoy your reading.

#13 rebeccavalentine

rebeccavalentine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2017 - 03:24 AM

Thanks again everyone & quietman7 :) 

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,749 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2017 - 05:45 AM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users