Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC Hanging with general use & gaming

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 infuse

infuse

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 10 April 2017 - 06:42 AM

Hi All,

Currently having an issue where my PC hangs randomly through either normal use of the PC or while within game and sometimes goes in an endless loop of hanging @ windows login.

I have just recently formatted this PC on APR 2nd sunday and also the following APR 9th sunday hoping that it'd subdue the locks up but no less they are still here.

I have installed all drivers required by the PC and running hopefully most updated ones.

I have ran a 9hour pass with memtest and came back perfectly without any issues.

Hoping someone here has any general idea on how to troubleshoot the said issue I get no BSOD's with this.

Cheers on the help

Below Details on PC

· OS - Windows 8.1, 8, 7, Vista ? - Windows 10
· x86 (32-bit) or x64 ? - 64BIT
· What was original installed OS on system? Custom Built PC
· Is the OS an OEM version (came pre-installed on system) or full retail version (YOU purchased it from retailer)? Retail copy
· Age of system (hardware) 2-3yrs
· Age of OS installation - have you re-installed the OS? 1 Day old

· CPU - 4790K
· Video Card - Sapphire R9 290X tri-x
· MotherBoard - (if NOT a laptop) - Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5
· Power Supply - brand & wattage (skip if laptop) Seasonic 1000w plat

Attached Files

Edited by infuse, 10 April 2017 - 06:50 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 13 April 2017 - 07:51 AM

Start with these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

Also, please monitor your temps with this free program:  Also, monitor your system's temperatures with this free tool: 

SpeedFan v. 4.5.1 and later (free from here:  http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php ) can log temperatures in a CSV file:

To make it work you have to do BOTH of the below:

1. Enable logging in general: Configure...Log...check "Enabled" then click on OK to save.

2. Enable logging for specific checks: Configure...Temperatures..left click on each sensor, then click on "Logged" at the bottom of the Window (for our purposes we want them all) then once you've selected "Logged" for all sensors, then click on OK to save.

The log will be located at C:\Program Files (x86)\SpeedFan

Naming: log files are named SFLogYYYYMMDD.csv, where YYYY is the year (four digits), MM is the month (2 digits, zero padded) and DD is the day (2 digits, zero padded). If a file already exists by that name, the file that already exists is renamed according to the following naming scheme: SFLogYYYYMMDD-CCCC.csv, where CCCC is a increasing number. The new file is then created with the standard file name scheme.

Notes: whenever you change the options related with logging, SpeedFan starts a new log file.
NOTE:You may want to turn logging off when we're done - as I don't know it's impact on performance or on the system.

I presume that this is a release version of the Creators Update?

Please let me know so that we can be sure what we're doing here.

To tell, run "winver" from the Run command and let us know the exact build nuimber listed.

Let us know the results of ALL of the diagnostics (skip MemTest if you've run it the same way that I asked) and we'll move on from there

Don't forget to let us know about the temps also.

Some other things you may want to look into:

Although you appear to have a reasonable number of Windows Update hotfixes for this version of your OS, please double check for any new Windows Updates.  It only takes one update to cause a problem, so it's essential that you have all of them.  The actual number is not important.  Rather it's important that you checked manually, installed any available updates, and didn't experience any errors when checking or updating.

Your UEFI/BIOS (version F10) dates from 2014.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  If you are able to install the update through Windows (without booting from an external drive), then go ahead and update it.  WARNING - if the computer might shut down during this procedure, please don't do it, as this may physically damage the computer and prevent it from booting.
FYI - W8 and W10 communicate more with the UEFI/BIOS than previous versions of Windows, so it's important to ensure that the UEFI/BIOS is kept up to date (and that outdated UEFI/BIOS' may be the cause of some compatibility issues).

This device is disabled in Device manager:

Killer E2200 Gigabit Ethernet Controller    PCI\VEN_1969&DEV_E091&SUBSYS_E0001458&REV_10\4&1F9AD8DE&0&00E0    This device is disabled.

Did you disable it deliberately?  If so, why did you disable it?

Please re-enable it, then update it's drivers to the latest W10 compatible version from the manufacturer's website, then feel free to disable it again if it's not needed.

Uninstall MalwareBytes and then update it to the latest available version if you wish to keep it (older versions had a weakness in one of the drivers that would occasionally spit out BSOD's).
The version with the fix is available from here:  https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/198624-malwarebytes-306-cu4-latest-version/
It was released on 29 March 2017.

Beyond that, this appears to be a hardware/compatibility/low-level driver problem.

The WER section of the MSINFO32 report doesn't show any problems related to the hangs (that I can tell)

Please do the following (immediately after you recover from the next hang):
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility: 

SpeedFan v. 4.5.1 and later (free from here:  http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php ) can log temperatures in a CSV file:
You may not need to log temps.  If uncertain, please ask.

To make it work (log the temps to a file) you have to do BOTH of the below:

1. Enable logging in general: Configure...Log...check "Enabled" then click on OK to save.

2. Enable logging for specific checks: Configure...Temperatures..left click on each sensor, then click on "Logged" at the bottom of the Window (for our purposes we want them all) then once you've selected "Logged" for all sensors, then click on OK to save.

The log will be located at C:\Program Files (x86)\SpeedFan

Naming: log files are named SFLogYYYYMMDD.csv, where YYYY is the year (four digits), MM is the month (2 digits, zero padded) and DD is the day (2 digits, zero padded). If a file already exists by that name, the file that already exists is renamed according to the following naming scheme: SFLogYYYYMMDD-CCCC.csv, where CCCC is a increasing number. The new file is then created with the standard file name scheme.

Notes: whenever you change the options related with logging, SpeedFan starts a new log file.

NOTE:You may want to turn logging off when we're done - as I don't know it's impact on performance or on the system.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users