Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 Won't Shut Down Plus Problem With Updates

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 pcdoctor2

pcdoctor2

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 10 April 2017 - 06:07 AM

So I'm having some problems with windows 10 on one of my computers.

I downloaded an update recently on Windows 10 and since that update, my computer will not shut down on it's own. I have to hold the power switch in to turn it off.

Also since the anniversary update, I have a problem where anytime windows would update, I get the black screen with the spinning circle on it and the computer freezes there. I usually have to either power the computer off by holding the power switch in or hit the reset button on the computer. What is causing these problems and how can I fix this?

Computer is custom built with an ASUS P5Q SE PLUS board from 2008, has an intel core 2 duo e8400 processor running at 3 GHz, Western digital 640GB Sata II Hard drive, 8GB of G.Skill ram installed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,976 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2017 - 07:15 AM

Try the following. 

Disable Fast Startup.  Open a command prompt and type

shutdown -s

This will do a complete shutdown and remove the hibernation file Windows uses for doing a fast startup. Reboot and do a normal shutdown.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 10 April 2017 - 11:06 AM

Fast Boot in Windows 8 and Fast Startup in Windows 10 is a hybrid combination of a cold startup and a wake-from-hibernation startup.  This combination is what allows Windows 8 and Windows 10 to boot so much faster than previous Windows operating systems.

Because Fast Boot and Fast Startup doesn't completely shut down the computer you may have problems installing updates.  If this occurs you can do a Restart which does completely shut down the computer and then restarts it.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 pcdoctor2

pcdoctor2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2017 - 08:59 PM

Update:

So the computer seems to shut down on shutdown -s but it won't shut off if I click on start and shut down.  This all happened when I downloaded some sort of update a couple weeks ago.

As for the spinning loading circle, it is my wireless keyboard and mouse that seem to cause it because as soon as I unplug the dongle that's in the USB port, I get the start screen for Windows 10, but when I plug it back in, the keyboard and mouse do not respond at all.  I then have to hit the reset button or turn the computer off and on.

The way I got Windows 10 for this computer was by the free Windows 10 update when it was being distributed out.  I was told at another place that I could go back to Windows 7 if I wanted to which is what I really want to do, but I've also heard that once you do the windows 10 upgrade from either Windows 7 or 8 that the license will no longer work for Windows 7.  I'd like to know which statement is true there.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,110 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2017 - 09:21 PM

If you have a legitimate license for Windows 7, that was used to upgrade to Windows 10, you may run either a legally licensed copy of Windows 7, or an upgraded copy of Windows 10, on the machine in question but you may not dual boot because if you're using the Windows 7 license the Windows 10 license is not valid simultaneously because it was derived from the Windows 7 license (and the converse).

If you wish to go back to Windows 7 you can.  If you later decide you want to install Windows 10, you can.  But you may only be running one of these two on that machine that have a single license as their shared DNA, so to speak.

Were you to wish to dual boot you would either need to upgrade to Windows 10, set up for dual booting and buy a separate copy of Windows 7.  [Or you could set up Windows 7, set up for dual booting, and buy a separate license for Windows 10.]

I've posted on this in the past, quoting chapter and verse from Microsoft back when Windows 10 was in its early days, on these very forums.

In the final analysis the writing is on the wall for Windows 7.  I'd be far more inclined to do a from-scratch installation of Windows 10 and reload the backups of your user data and reinstall any programs you use than I would be to revert to Windows 7.  There have been lots of issues with machines that have been upgraded from earlier versions of Windows, particularly if those machines were "well-used" prior to the upgrade, that disappear with a completely fresh installation of Windows 10.  You can actually do this via the built-in "Reset this PC" feature with the "wipe machine" option (as opposed to the "keep my files option.")  You might want to try a Reset with "Keep my files" and see if this solves the issues you've been having.

Edited by britechguy, 16 April 2017 - 09:25 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 17 April 2017 - 11:29 AM

The Windows 7 lifecycle ends on January 14, 2020, this is just short of three years from now.

I too thought that Windows 7 was one of the best operating systems that Microsoft has created and was disappointed with Windows 8, to say the least.  Because I need to keep current with my knowledge of Windows operating systems I've moved on to Windows 10 and have to say that the more I use it the more I like it. My personal opinion would be to suggest sticking with Windows 10.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 pcdoctor2

pcdoctor2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2017 - 03:28 PM

If I was very knowledgeable with Linux and it could do everything I need it to which for this computer would be watching videos on Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, etc... I would run Linux on it instead of Windows.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users