Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows crashes when opening BIOS installation software

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Retsail

Retsail

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 10 April 2017 - 12:38 AM

· OS - Windows 10 x64 retail (came with 8.1 x64)
· Age of the hardware - 2 years
· Age of OS installation - ~2 months

· CPU - i7 4510U, 4mb cache, 2 cores and 4 threads, 3.1ghz 
· Video Card - Intel 4400HD and a NVIDIA 840m

· System Manufacturer - Hewlett-Packard
· Exact model number - HP Pavilion 14 V066br (J2M43LA#AC4)
· Laptop or Desktop - Laptop

Hi! First of all, I'm trying to revert back to a older version of my BIOS because this new one introduced some mouse lag/stutter after installed. But when I click to open the bios installation, the system hangs and there is no other option but force shutdown the notebook. The system freezes before the software open. To be more specific, it happens when I try to open "Insydeflash.exe".
         Some things I've tried:
-Installing older versions of the BIOS through UEFI, returns a message: ""Unable to find bios signature file". I could be that HP block the installation of the older versions.
-Installing older versions through the crisis recovery method, returns 2 capslock blinks. Code for bios corruption.
-Reinstalling the current one through both of the above methods was a success, but did not solved my mouse lag/stutter and the system still freezes when opening Insydeflash. 
-Tried opening Insideflash under Windows 7 and 8.1. The system still freezes.
-Tried opening Insideflash downloaded from another system direct from a pendrive. No changes.
-Tried changing RAM slots and even another ram module from another notebook. Same thing happens.
         I'm certain the Insydeflash wasn't crashing the system under this new BIOS version. Also, all the older versions I tried to install were previously installed.
         One thing I noticed, is that if I delete the "iscflashx64.sys" from the Insydeflash, I can open the program but the option to flash the bios is grayed out.
         Since the system crashes but doesn't display a bsod, I used the driver verifier (standard settings) and it caused a bsod when I tried to open the Insydeflash. And from the little I saw from the dump, it is indeed the "iscflashx64.sys" that causes the crashes. I am not a expert on the matter so decided to ask for help/instruction here!

I contacted HP 5 months ago but they didn't gave me a solution, and since then I'm trying anything that comes to mind to fix the problem. I also considered buying a spi programmer to flash the bios manually, but I can't afford one.

Any help will be appreciated, so thank you in advance!

​Edit: Added a updated sysnativefilecolletionapp.zip after using Windows Driver Verifier following the forum instructions. Also added non loaded drivers "iscflash.sys" and "iscflashx64.sys" from the Insydeflash to the settings. 

Attached Files

Edited by Retsail, 10 April 2017 - 12:39 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 2,953 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 13 April 2017 - 09:43 AM

Hi, Retsail,

Can you turn off Driver Verifier for now, let the computer BSOD, then do this:

:step1: Upload MEMORY.DMP

• Press and hold the Windows Key + R on your keyboard at the same time.
• In the Run box, type in %WinDir% and hit Enter on your keyboard.
• Find the file MEMORY.DMP and copy/paste it on to your Desktop.
• Zip up MEMORY.DMP (use .ZIP please!!!) and upload it to a trustworthy file-sharing service.

Regards,
bwv848

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#3 Retsail

Retsail
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2017 - 12:32 PM

Hi, Retsail,

Can you turn off Driver Verifier for now, let the computer BSOD, then do this:

• Zip up MEMORY.DMP (use .ZIP please!!!) and upload it to a trustworthy file-sharing service.

Regards,
bwv848

The crash caused by the software doesn't end with a bsod, unfortunately. I waited ~2 hours while the computer was frozen to see if anything different happens, but no luck. I had no option but to use the driver verifier to get a bsod instead of the freeze.
          Also, when it freezes, the fan of the notebook kicks in as if it is doing something. There is some "warning level" events on event viewer that are registered when/while the computer freezes.

Log Name:      System
Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Processor-Power
Date:          4/13/2017 2:01:42 PM
Event ID:      37
Task Category: (7)
Level:         Warning
Keywords:      
User:          SYSTEM
Computer:      DESKTOP-84O378U
Description:
The speed of processor 0 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 71 seconds since the last report.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Processor-Power" Guid="{0F67E49F-FE51-4E9F-B490-6F2948CC6027}" />
    <EventID>37</EventID>
    <Version>0</Version>
    <Level>3</Level>
    <Task>7</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x8000000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2017-04-13T17:01:42.035627600Z" />
    <EventRecordID>797</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="204" />
    <Channel>System</Channel>
    <Computer>DESKTOP-84O378U</Computer>
    <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data Name="Group">0</Data>
    <Data Name="Number">0</Data>
    <Data Name="CapDurationInSeconds">71</Data>
    <Data Name="PpcChanges">1</Data>
    <Data Name="TpcChanges">0</Data>
    <Data Name="PccChanges">0</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>
Keywords:      
Description:
The speed of processor 1 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 71 seconds since the last report.
Event Xml:
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Processor-Power" Guid="{0F67E49F-FE51-4E9F-B490-6F2948CC6027}" />
    <EventID>37</EventID>
    <Version>0</Version>
    <Level>3</Level>
    <Task>7</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2017-04-13T17:01:42.035623700Z" />
    <EventRecordID>796</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="212" />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data Name="Number">1</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>
Keywords:      
Description:
The speed of processor 2 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 71 seconds since the last report.
Event Xml:
  <System>
    <EventID>37</EventID>
    <Version>0</Version>
    <Level>3</Level>
    <Task>7</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2017-04-13T17:01:42.035618600Z" />
    <EventRecordID>795</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="208" />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data Name="Number">2</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>
Keywords:      
Description:
The speed of processor 3 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 71 seconds since the last report.
Event Xml:
  <System>
    <EventID>37</EventID>
    <Version>0</Version>
    <Level>3</Level>
    <Task>7</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2017-04-13T17:01:42.035611100Z" />
    <EventRecordID>794</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="216" />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data Name="Number">3</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

If there is anything left that I should try, let me know! Thanks for the answer!

Edited by Retsail, 13 April 2017 - 12:33 PM.

#4 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,953 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2017 - 09:15 PM

So the entire computer freezes even with a black screen?

p.s. Why are you disabling your NVIDIA graphics card?

Edited by bwv848, 14 April 2017 - 09:17 PM.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#5 Retsail

Retsail
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2017 - 10:52 PM

So the entire computer freezes even with a black screen?

p.s. Why are you disabling your NVIDIA graphics card?

No black screen. It displays the last frame, and if there is any sound playing before the crash, it will repeat its last note infinitely.

Some time ago I noticed the nvidia card was working above the voltage, I tried fixing it using software but It did got a little bit worse. It was possible just to increase, but not to decrease to its defaults. So I did disabled it just to be sure nothing bad happens, even if its current voltage is close to default. It is another reason to why I am trying to downgrade the BIOS, and hoping a older one have a different vBIOS that could reset the voltages (as reinstalling the current one or clearing cmos doesn't change anything). But this really doesn't bother me that much as the freeze does.

Also important to note this happened after the freeze started to occur.

Edited by Retsail, 14 April 2017 - 10:55 PM.

#6 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,953 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2017 - 12:32 PM

Sorry for not responding after four days. I'll ask my friend and see what he thinks, not entirely sure what to do here either. :)

regards,

bwv848

p.s. While you're waiting, please run MemTest86 for a minimum of eight passes? Here's a good guide if you need help. Also, please run Seagate SeaTools for Windows. Be sure to test all your drives with the S.M.A.R.T. and Long Generic tests.

Edited by bwv848, 18 April 2017 - 12:35 PM.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2017 - 05:12 AM

Running the memory dump now.....

I have a doctor's appointment shortly, so I may not finish before I leave.

I'll finish when I get home (I'll drag the raw stack out of the verifier memory dump and will see if there's anything significant.

Please uninstall the Intel Smart Connect software, then boot to the UEFI and disable SmartConnect there.

It is no longer supported in W10 - and it's possible that it could be causing problems.

Uninstall MiniTool Partition Wizard

It's driver (pwdrvio.sys) dates from 2009 and may not be compatible w/W10

More info on the driver here:  (more info on it here: http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=pwdrvio.sys )

The Insyde flash software driver dates from 2014

I have to wonder if there is a problem with the software itself.

Have you tried downloading another version and seeing if that works?

Also, please make the system crash one more time, then immediately recover and generate this report:

Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2017 - 09:28 AM

OK, nothing other than the flash driver in the raw stack text.

Try running Driver Verifier without the flash software and see if that crashes the system.

If so, upload the memory dump (zip it up first) and we'll see what that says.

Still would like to look at the other report.

Here's what I got from the SysnativeFileCollection reports:

Your UEFI/BIOS (version F.43) dates from 2016. 

Are you trying to install the F42 version that's on the HP website for your model?

Please describe the mouse lag/stutter that this causes (when does it happen, does anything in particular set it off?).

Does the mouse work without problems when navigating inside the UEFI/BIOS?

What sort of mouse are you using (make and model)?

If it's the Alps Touchpad on the laptop - have you updated the drivers from the HP site?
If it's an external mouse, have you tried it in all the different ports available on the system?

Have you taken a good look inside the ports and inside the plug of the mouse to be sure that there's no damage/lint/etc?

Have you updated the chipset, storage controller, and USB controller drivers?

Only 7 Windows Update hotfixes installed.  Most build 14393 (1607) systems have more than this.  Please visit Windows Update and get ALL available Windows Updates.

The actual number is not important.  Rather it's important that you checked manually, installed any available updates, and didn't experience any errors when checking or updating.

There are many Windows Update failures in the WER section of the MSINFO32 report.

This device is disabled in Device Manager:

NVIDIA GeForce 840M    PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1341&SUBSYS_2280103C&REV_A2\4&1F3B88AF&0&00E4    This device is disabled.

There are number of problems with this device in the WER section of the MSINFO32 report (March and early April).

Please re-enable it and update the video drivers for it.  Then feel free to disable it again (if you'd like).

I suspect that there may be a hardware problem with the video card - and that can be causing different problems with your system.

Disabling the card Device Manager doesn't stop it from being connected to the other devices in the system (and, the drivers still load before the device is disabled by Windows).

There are many Live Kernel Events in the WER section of the MSINFO32 report.

These can be a symptom of a hardware problem - so I'd suggest trying ALL of these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

Please finish ALL of the tests and let us know the results.

MSI Afterburner and Riva Tuner (along with EVGA Precision) are known to cause BSOD's in some Windows systems (it's driver is usually RTCore64.sys).  Please un-install them immediately!

If you're overclocking, please stop the overclock while we're troubleshooting.  Feel free to resume the overclock once the system has been stabilized.

Please also update the Intel Management Engine (MEI) software on your system.

One of the drivers for your version dates from 2013 and may have problems with W10.

Please uninstall the MiniTool Partition Wizard software and the Intel SmartConnect stuff as I described in my previous post.

Analysis:
The following is for information purposes only. The following information contains the relevant information from the blue screen analysis:
**************************Mon Apr 10 05:58:12.372 2017 (UTC - 4:00)**************************
Loading Dump File [C:\Users\john\SysnativeBSODApps\041017-21078-01.dmp]
Windows 10 Kernel Version 14393 MP (4 procs) Free x64
Built by: 14393.953.amd64fre.rs1_release_inmarket.170303-1614
System Uptime:0 days 0:02:09.308
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for iscflashx64.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for iscflashx64.sys
Probably caused by :memory_corruption
BugCheck C4, {62, ffffb781e9319750, ffffb781e93b79d0, 1}
BugCheck Info: DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION (c4)
DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION (c4)
Arguments:
Arg1: 0000000000000062, A driver has forgotten to free its pool allocations prior to unloading.
Arg2: ffffb781e9319750, name of the driver having the issue.
Arg3: ffffb781e93b79d0, verifier internal structure with driver information.
Arg4: 0000000000000001, total # of (paged+nonpaged) allocations that weren't freed.
    Type !verifier 3 drivername.sys for info on the allocations
    that were leaked that caused the bugcheck.
BUGCHECK_STR:  0xc4_62
PROCESS_NAME:  services.exe
FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: MEMORY_CORRUPTION_LARGE
CPUID:        "Intel® Core™ i7-4510U CPU @ 2.00GHz"
MaxSpeed:     2000
CurrentSpeed: 2594

Processor may be overclocked!
Expected Frequency:   2000
Actual Frequency:     2594
Overclock Ratio:      1.297

BIOS Version                  F.43
  BIOS Release Date             08/03/2016
  Manufacturer                  Hewlett-Packard
  Product Name                  HP Pavilion 14 Notebook PC      
  Baseboard Product             2280
¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨``

3rd Party Drivers:
The following is for information purposes only. My recommendations were given above. The drivers that follow belong to software or devices that were not developed by Microsoft.  You can find links to the driver information and where to update the drivers in the section after the code box:

**************************Mon Apr 10 05:58:12.372 2017 (UTC - 4:00)**************************
pwdrvio.sys                  Mon Jun 15 21:43:45 2009 (4A36F8D1)
ISCTD64.sys                  Tue Nov 27 14:52:34 2012 (50B51A02)
TeeDriverx64.sys             Wed Nov 27 12:56:32 2013 (52963250)
iscflashx64.sys              Thu Jul 17 02:58:10 2014 (53C77402)
RTKVHD64.sys                 Tue Jul  7 07:13:02 2015 (559BB43E)
Apfiltr.sys                  Thu Jul 16 04:23:14 2015 (55A769F2)
igdkmd64.sys                 Mon Aug 24 16:32:07 2015 (55DB7F47)
rt640x64.sys                 Thu Jan 21 03:17:40 2016 (56A09424)
WirelessButtonDriver64.sys   Sun Apr 10 23:17:31 2016 (570B174B)
intelppm.sys                 Fri Jul 15 22:10:43 2016 (578997A3)
Accelerometer.sys            Fri Sep 23 03:08:21 2016 (57E4D4E5)
hpdskflt.sys                 Fri Sep 23 03:08:26 2016 (57E4D4EA)
Netwbw02.sys                 Sun Oct  9 12:00:54 2016 (57FA69B6)
ibtusb.sys                   Thu Oct 13 18:46:55 2016 (58000EDF)
VBoxNetLwf.sys               Wed Mar 15 11:17:49 2017 (58C95B1D)
VBoxUSBMon.sys               Wed Mar 15 11:17:49 2017 (58C95B1D)
VBoxDrv.sys                  Wed Mar 15 11:17:49 2017 (58C95B1D)
VBoxNetAdp6.sys              Wed Mar 15 11:17:49 2017 (58C95B1D)

http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=pwdrvio.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=ISCTD64.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=TeeDriverx64.sys
iscflashx64.sys - this driver hasn't been added to the DRT as of this run. Please search Google/Bing for the driver if additional information is needed.
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=RTKVHD64.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=Apfiltr.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=igdkmd64.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=rt640x64.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=WirelessButtonDriver64.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=intelppm.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=Accelerometer.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=hpdskflt.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=Netwbw02.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=ibtusb.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=VBoxNetLwf.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=VBoxUSBMon.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=VBoxDrv.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=VBoxNetAdp6.sys

Edited by usasma, 19 April 2017 - 09:34 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 Retsail

Retsail
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2017 - 12:48 PM

Sorry for not responding after four days. I'll ask my friend and see what he thinks, not entirely sure what to do here either. :)

regards,

bwv848

p.s. While you're waiting, please run MemTest86 for a minimum of eight passes? Here's a good guide if you need help. Also, please run Seagate SeaTools for Windows. Be sure to test all your drives with the S.M.A.R.T. and Long Generic tests.

Here are the logs. I actually did a 4 pass first by mistake but did a 8 later. Both of them ended with 0 errors. (also used in conjunction the other stick/module mentioned at the first post)

Running the memory dump now.....

I have a doctor's appointment shortly, so I may not finish before I leave.

I'll finish when I get home (I'll drag the raw stack out of the verifier memory dump and will see if there's anything significant.

Please uninstall the Intel Smart Connect software, then boot to the UEFI and disable SmartConnect there.

It is no longer supported in W10 - and it's possible that it could be causing problems.

Uninstall MiniTool Partition Wizard

It's driver (pwdrvio.sys) dates from 2009 and may not be compatible w/W10

More info on the driver here:  (more info on it here: http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=pwdrvio.sys )

The Insyde flash software driver dates from 2014

I have to wonder if there is a problem with the software itself.

Have you tried downloading another version and seeing if that works?

Also, please make the system crash one more time, then immediately recover and generate this report:

Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

There wasn't a standalone Smart Connect Software installed. So I uninstalled all intel software minus the display driver and disabled Smart Connect Technology on bios. Then opened Insydeflash but no luck, still freezes.

MiniTool Partition Wizard already uninstalled. It was installed at the time because Windows Update needed more room in the System Reserved partition. I ended up not using the software and decided to delete the HP recovery files (from HP PC Hardware Diagnostics), install the Windows update and then install HP PC Hardware Diagnostics again.

I tried a really old Insydeflash revision, but it won't open. Also tried replacing the "iscflashx64.sys" with newer and older ones. The newer ones also made windows crash, the older ones apparently don't load, so the software opens with the option to flash the bios greyed out.
I would say the problem isn't the file itself, as I mentioned, I could open the software under F.43, then I noticed some mouse lag/stutter and tried to install the previous (using the same files on the hdd) then everything happened.

I think the only events related to the freeze are the ones I mentioned in the third post. But I reproduced the freeze, forced shutdown and here is the the log:

OK, nothing other than the flash driver in the raw stack text.

Try running Driver Verifier without the flash software and see if that crashes the system.

If so, upload the memory dump (zip it up first) and we'll see what that says.

Still would like to look at the other report.

Here's what I got from the SysnativeFileCollection reports:

Your UEFI/BIOS (version F.43) dates from 2016. 

Are you trying to install the F42 version that's on the HP website for your model?

Please describe the mouse lag/stutter that this causes (when does it happen, does anything in particular set it off?).

Does the mouse work without problems when navigating inside the UEFI/BIOS?

What sort of mouse are you using (make and model)?

If it's the Alps Touchpad on the laptop - have you updated the drivers from the HP site?
If it's an external mouse, have you tried it in all the different ports available on the system?

Have you taken a good look inside the ports and inside the plug of the mouse to be sure that there's no damage/lint/etc?

Have you updated the chipset, storage controller, and USB controller drivers?

Only 7 Windows Update hotfixes installed.  Most build 14393 (1607) systems have more than this.  Please visit Windows Update and get ALL available Windows Updates.

The actual number is not important.  Rather it's important that you checked manually, installed any available updates, and didn't experience any errors when checking or updating.

There are many Windows Update failures in the WER section of the MSINFO32 report.

This device is disabled in Device Manager:

NVIDIA GeForce 840M    PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1341&SUBSYS_2280103C&REV_A2\4&1F3B88AF&0&00E4    This device is disabled.

There are number of problems with this device in the WER section of the MSINFO32 report (March and early April).

Please re-enable it and update the video drivers for it.  Then feel free to disable it again (if you'd like).

I suspect that there may be a hardware problem with the video card - and that can be causing different problems with your system.

Disabling the card Device Manager doesn't stop it from being connected to the other devices in the system (and, the drivers still load before the device is disabled by Windows).

There are many Live Kernel Events in the WER section of the MSINFO32 report.

These can be a symptom of a hardware problem - so I'd suggest trying ALL of these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

Please finish ALL of the tests and let us know the results.

MSI Afterburner and Riva Tuner (along with EVGA Precision) are known to cause BSOD's in some Windows systems (it's driver is usually RTCore64.sys).  Please un-install them immediately!

If you're overclocking, please stop the overclock while we're troubleshooting.  Feel free to resume the overclock once the system has been stabilized.

Please also update the Intel Management Engine (MEI) software on your system.

One of the drivers for your version dates from 2013 and may have problems with W10.

Please uninstall the MiniTool Partition Wizard software and the Intel SmartConnect stuff as I described in my previous post.

Analysis:
The following is for information purposes only. The following information contains the relevant information from the blue screen analysis:
Loading Dump File [C:\Users\john\SysnativeBSODApps\041017-21078-01.dmp]
Windows 10 Kernel Version 14393 MP (4 procs) Free x64
Built by: 14393.953.amd64fre.rs1_release_inmarket.170303-1614
System Uptime:0 days 0:02:09.308
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for iscflashx64.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for iscflashx64.sys
Probably caused by :memory_corruption
BugCheck C4, {62, ffffb781e9319750, ffffb781e93b79d0, 1}
BugCheck Info: DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION (c4)
DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION (c4)
Arguments:
Arg1: 0000000000000062, A driver has forgotten to free its pool allocations prior to unloading.
Arg2: ffffb781e9319750, name of the driver having the issue.
Arg3: ffffb781e93b79d0, verifier internal structure with driver information.
Arg4: 0000000000000001, total # of (paged+nonpaged) allocations that weren't freed.
    Type !verifier 3 drivername.sys for info on the allocations
    that were leaked that caused the bugcheck.
BUGCHECK_STR:  0xc4_62
PROCESS_NAME:  services.exe
FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: MEMORY_CORRUPTION_LARGE
CPUID:        "Intel® Core™ i7-4510U CPU @ 2.00GHz"
MaxSpeed:     2000
CurrentSpeed: 2594

Processor may be overclocked!
Expected Frequency:   2000
Actual Frequency:     2594
Overclock Ratio:      1.297

BIOS Version                  F.43
  BIOS Release Date             08/03/2016
  Manufacturer                  Hewlett-Packard
  Product Name                  HP Pavilion 14 Notebook PC      
  Baseboard Product             2280
¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨``

3rd Party Drivers:
The following is for information purposes only. My recommendations were given above. The drivers that follow belong to software or devices that were not developed by Microsoft.  You can find links to the driver information and where to update the drivers in the section after the code box:

pwdrvio.sys                  Mon Jun 15 21:43:45 2009 (4A36F8D1)
ISCTD64.sys                  Tue Nov 27 14:52:34 2012 (50B51A02)
TeeDriverx64.sys             Wed Nov 27 12:56:32 2013 (52963250)
iscflashx64.sys              Thu Jul 17 02:58:10 2014 (53C77402)
RTKVHD64.sys                 Tue Jul  7 07:13:02 2015 (559BB43E)
Apfiltr.sys                  Thu Jul 16 04:23:14 2015 (55A769F2)
igdkmd64.sys                 Mon Aug 24 16:32:07 2015 (55DB7F47)
rt640x64.sys                 Thu Jan 21 03:17:40 2016 (56A09424)
WirelessButtonDriver64.sys   Sun Apr 10 23:17:31 2016 (570B174B)
intelppm.sys                 Fri Jul 15 22:10:43 2016 (578997A3)
Accelerometer.sys            Fri Sep 23 03:08:21 2016 (57E4D4E5)
hpdskflt.sys                 Fri Sep 23 03:08:26 2016 (57E4D4EA)
Netwbw02.sys                 Sun Oct  9 12:00:54 2016 (57FA69B6)
ibtusb.sys                   Thu Oct 13 18:46:55 2016 (58000EDF)
VBoxNetLwf.sys               Wed Mar 15 11:17:49 2017 (58C95B1D)
VBoxUSBMon.sys               Wed Mar 15 11:17:49 2017 (58C95B1D)
VBoxDrv.sys                  Wed Mar 15 11:17:49 2017 (58C95B1D)
VBoxNetAdp6.sys              Wed Mar 15 11:17:49 2017 (58C95B1D)

http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=pwdrvio.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=ISCTD64.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=TeeDriverx64.sys
iscflashx64.sys - this driver hasn't been added to the DRT as of this run. Please search Google/Bing for the driver if additional information is needed.
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=RTKVHD64.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=Apfiltr.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=igdkmd64.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=rt640x64.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=WirelessButtonDriver64.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=intelppm.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=Accelerometer.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=hpdskflt.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=Netwbw02.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=ibtusb.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=VBoxNetLwf.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=VBoxUSBMon.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=VBoxDrv.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=VBoxNetAdp6.sys

Tested that but the Driver Verifier will produce a bsod only when I click on the Insydeflash.exe.

Are you referring to the previous report I uploaded before the "Updated" one? It was one with a minidump from a bsod also caused by the Insydeflash under Driver Verifier but with standard settings and without adding the "iscflashx64.sys" at the driver list. They were apparently the same.

Exactly. I also tried the F.36 and F.33. Despite having installed them before, they all get rejected by the HP PC Hardware diagnostic and the crisis recovery method as mentioned in the first post. So, my last resort should be the installing under Windows with Insydeflash.
I saw somebody's comment in another forum that HP from time to time block the older versions, so they release a new version that once installed doesn't let you downgrade to the previous ones. I don`t know if that is true but I`m inclined to believe.

The lag/stutter happens using the mouse and/or touchpad. Only the pointer lags/stutters, so when that happens, the windows explorer animations and etc. are running smoothly (I can also use the keyboard to interact with windows when it stutters for 2-3 secs). It does happen sometimes when I use Edge (internet browser) and randomly when loading random stuff. I remember when it did lagged/stutter the most, was under Intel HD display driver. It lagged when opening, and lagged every time I selected a tab that loaded some settings. But it is occasional, I can't really reproduce.
One time I used a HP software to update all the drivers, but the lag/stutter didn't disappeared.
I'm certain this wasn't happening before the bios update, it is very noticeable/annoying.
This problem is what made me try to rollback to a older bios, and when I tried, the Insydeflash started to freeze windows.

The Windows Update error must be related to what I said in my previous post (I couldn't update because the system reserved partition was full). Fortunately it was solved.

I tried some old versions of the nvidia drivers to see if it solved the voltage problem (related in the fifth post). One of them would only work after cleaning the previous driver (using DDU) but always stopped working after a restart.
I updated to the newest one and gave up on that since the voltage isn't that far from the stock and decided to disable it on device manager until I manage to downgrade the bios and hopefully reset the voltages to default.

I am using a older version of the IME software because the newer ones don't let the notebook completely shutdown (lights stays on and fan spining). It was the "solution" I found on HP forums. (but I also tried updating the bios on the newer ones but nothing changes)

I was thinking about forcing a bios corruption and installing again through the crisis recovery method to see if anything changes. I'm not afraid of bricking the bios, but I'm afraid of it installing again just to see no changes. lol 
Important to note I tried flashing the bios under clean installations of Win7 and 8.1 but they freeze as well. Also never had an unsuccessful bios installation.

Attached Files

Edited by Retsail, 19 April 2017 - 02:01 PM.

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2017 - 07:38 AM

I"ve tried to install older versions of BIOS/UEFI on HP systems at work (by accident).

The Insyde program warned that it was an older verison (but, as it was an accident, I exited out rather than trying to install it).

You seem to be having several different problems with the system hardware.  I have to wonder if there is a hardware problem that isn't obvious (most likely either video or motherboard).

- UEFI installer crashes

- Intel MEI shutdown issues

- Video voltage problems

- mouse/TPad stutter

Unfortunatley, with a laptop, it's not real easy to diagnose this sort of problem.

BUT, the diagnostics that I suggest should help to rule out some of the major components ( http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html ).
I'm very interested with the results of the video tests on the nVidia card, but the rest of the tests are also needed.

Feel free to skip the MemTest and Seagate HDD test as you've already run them.

To support my theory, the fact that you had similiar problems under W7 and W8 tends to point to a hardware problem.

The Admin log file doesn't show any repeating events during the period just prior to the Critical events (unexpected shutdowns).

This is usually a sign of a possible hardware problem.

Also, the Admin log file shows several errors with IO operations that point to a hardware error.

As the HDD passed the Seatools test, there's 2 possibilities here:

- that the Seatools test was wrong (doesn't happen very often, but I have seen it once or twice)

- that there is a problem with another component tha affects the hard drive (most often, this is the storage controller).

See if you can run the Western Digital Data Lifeguard for Windows software (I can't recall if it will let you test a Seagate drive or not).

But, the best test for this would be to try another, known good/new, hard drive.  Are you able to do this?  If so, you don't need to activate the installation, as you'll just use it for testing initially.

If the problem remains, then it's most likely the motherboard.  If the problem goes away, then it was the hard drive

Not excluding the video at this point - just leaving it alone for now to see what the hard drive stuff does.

#11 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,953 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:56 AM

I have an idea... let's attempt to force a manually initiated crash. To do so:

With PS/2 keyboards, you must enable the keyboard-initiated crash in the registry. In the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\i8042prt\Parameters, create a value named CrashOnCtrlScroll, and set it equal to a REG_DWORD value of 0x01.

With USB keyboards, you must enable the keyboard-initiated crash in the registry. In the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\kbdhid\Parameters, create a value named CrashOnCtrlScroll, and set it equal to a REG_DWORD value of 0x01.

Then run the BIOS installation software. When the system hangs, hold down the rightmost CTRL key, and press the SCROLL LOCK key twice, forcing the system to BSOD. Then upload MEMORY.DMP for us:

Regards,
bwv848

#12 Retsail

Retsail
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2017 - 02:33 PM

I"ve tried to install older versions of BIOS/UEFI on HP systems at work (by accident).

The Insyde program warned that it was an older verison (but, as it was an accident, I exited out rather than trying to install it).

You seem to be having several different problems with the system hardware.  I have to wonder if there is a hardware problem that isn't obvious (most likely either video or motherboard).

- UEFI installer crashes

- Intel MEI shutdown issues

- Video voltage problems

- mouse/TPad stutter

Unfortunatley, with a laptop, it's not real easy to diagnose this sort of problem.

BUT, the diagnostics that I suggest should help to rule out some of the major components ( http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html ).
I'm very interested with the results of the video tests on the nVidia card, but the rest of the tests are also needed.

Feel free to skip the MemTest and Seagate HDD test as you've already run them.

To support my theory, the fact that you had similiar problems under W7 and W8 tends to point to a hardware problem.

The Admin log file doesn't show any repeating events during the period just prior to the Critical events (unexpected shutdowns).

This is usually a sign of a possible hardware problem.

Also, the Admin log file shows several errors with IO operations that point to a hardware error.

As the HDD passed the Seatools test, there's 2 possibilities here:

- that the Seatools test was wrong (doesn't happen very often, but I have seen it once or twice)

- that there is a problem with another component tha affects the hard drive (most often, this is the storage controller).

See if you can run the Western Digital Data Lifeguard for Windows software (I can't recall if it will let you test a Seagate drive or not).

But, the best test for this would be to try another, known good/new, hard drive.  Are you able to do this?  If so, you don't need to activate the installation, as you'll just use it for testing initially.

If the problem remains, then it's most likely the motherboard.  If the problem goes away, then it was the hard drive

Not excluding the video at this point - just leaving it alone for now to see what the hard drive stuff does.

The MEI issue seems to be a problem regarding this v0xxxx series of notebook (since I found a lot o people with the same problem)

So, from that list, excluding the ones I already did, what softwares do you recommend to run? Unless you want me to run all of them. Would be a bit tedious but I can do it.
If this also includes anti-malware software, I feel like doing it with a clean WIn10 installation so the scans should take less time.

A while back I did tried WindowPE on a pendrive and Insydeflash still froze the system.

I have another hdd but isn't new and I never did any failure test on it. Maybe still worth a shot?

I have an idea... let's attempt to force a manually initiated crash. To do so:

With PS/2 keyboards, you must enable the keyboard-initiated crash in the registry. In the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\i8042prt\Parameters, create a value named CrashOnCtrlScroll, and set it equal to a REG_DWORD value of 0x01.

With USB keyboards, you must enable the keyboard-initiated crash in the registry. In the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\kbdhid\Parameters, create a value named CrashOnCtrlScroll, and set it equal to a REG_DWORD value of 0x01.

Then run the BIOS installation software. When the system hangs, hold down the rightmost CTRL key, and press the SCROLL LOCK key twice, forcing the system to BSOD. Then upload MEMORY.DMP for us:

Regards,
bwv848

Followed instructions but it doesn't produces a bsod while Windows is frozen. It does when it is not frozen. 

#13 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,953 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2017 - 02:40 PM

Followed instructions but it doesn't produces a bsod while Windows is frozen. It does when it is not frozen.

So when you press CTRl+SCROLL LOCK+SCROLL LOCK it will BSOD the system, only when the computer's not frozen?

Edited by bwv848, 21 April 2017 - 02:40 PM.

#14 Retsail

Retsail
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2017 - 02:50 PM

So when you press CTRl+SCROLL LOCK+SCROLL LOCK it will BSOD the system, only when the computer's not frozen?

Exactly

#15 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,953 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2017 - 02:56 PM

Would you be able to install the BIOS from Linux? :wink: It's so weird why CTRL+SCROLL LOCK+SCROLL LOCK won't BSOD the system.

Edited by bwv848, 21 April 2017 - 02:56 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users