Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New User BSODs in Windows 7 - Help greatly appreciated!

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 sythus

sythus

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 09 April 2017 - 10:37 PM

Hi and thanks in advance!

· Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (all updates installed as far as I know)
· I think windows XP might have been the original OS, but Windows 7 has been the OS of my system for ~7 years
· The age of most of the hardware is about 8 years old, with only the video card being upgraded
· I have reinstalled the OS multiple times, but probably not for a couple years or more now

· CPU - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550, Yorkfield
· Video Card - Nvidia GTS 250 (1GB)
· MotherBoard - Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P (rev 1.1), no BIOS updates have been done as far as I remember
· Power Supply - OCZ StealthXStream2 700W

· RAM - 2x2GB OCZ Nvidia Sli-Ready DDR2 SDRAM PC2-6400

· I built this desktop machine ~8 years ago

I regularly clean out the dust of my tower.

Couple other details:

Bleepingcomputer is saying I don't have permission to upload my perfmon.rar

I only have 4GB of system memory (it is hard to find good DDR2 ram to upgrade)

For antivirus I have microsoft security essentials, and I use Malwarebytes every week to do scans

One of my case fans is a bit loud, I'm planning to replace it soon (120mm in the back)

Now onto the issues:

I get BSODs watching youtube (sometimes not even in fullscreen), playing Skyrim, Resident evil 5, but I think those have been the only situations so far lately.

Some of the different codes I have gotten are: dxgmm1.sys, Driver_IRQL not less than or equal, Page fault in non paged area, and a few more that I don't remember. Sometimes I get them multiple times per day, some days not at all (but lately it has been more often than not at least once per day).

Thanks for any help!

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sythus

sythus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2017 - 01:06 AM

I'm still having issues, but I've done a few things since my post. I used slimdrivers to update a few things that were out of date, and I also ran the windows memory diagnostic tool for ~8 hours, on the extended test. It completed about 3 passes with no errors.

I could really use some help with this guys!

#3 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 2,988 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 11 April 2017 - 08:59 PM

The memory dumps seem to point to graphics card related issues. Since this is an older system, I'd first suspect hardware issues. Anyway, will you please run MemTest86 for a minimum of eight passes? Here's a good guide if you need help. We do not trust the Windows Memory Diagnostic at all. Also, please run Seagate SeaTools for Windows. Be sure to test all your drives with the S.M.A.R.T. and Long Generic tests.

Regards,

bwv848

p.s. Is the PSU eight-years old too?

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#4 sythus

sythus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2017 - 09:46 PM

Thank you for the suggestions! I will run those tests soon and update when I can.

Regarding the PSU, I believe the first one crapped out on me a year or two after I first purchased it, and so I got a new warranty replacement of the same type. So it is probably 6 years old.

Thanks again!

#5 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,988 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2017 - 09:48 PM

Alright, if you just upgraded your graphics card, and now you're experiencing issues, I suspect a problem with the PSU. Can you take a picture of the PSU voltages from the BIOS?

Regards,
bwv848

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#6 sythus

sythus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2017 - 09:54 PM

Oh I should clarify, I didn't *just* upgrade my graphics card, I meant to imply that the GPU is the only part that I've upgraded in the past ~8 years. I've been using it for probably at least 5 years, so there haven't been any hardware changes in a long time.

#7 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,988 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2017 - 09:40 AM

Alright, now I understand. :)

Regards,

bwv848

#8 sythus

sythus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2017 - 04:30 PM

I haven't had a chance to run all the tests yet, but I have done the S.M.A.R.T and short generic tests on my single SATA hard drive and it passed both. I use my PC a lot so it has been difficult to schedule the tests that I know will take a long time.

Do you think it would be worthwhile to update the BIOS on my motherboard, regardless of the results of the memtest and long generic seagate test on my hard drive?

#9 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,988 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2017 - 04:35 PM

Yes, of course! :) If you're confident enough to do so, that could improve the situation.

#10 sythus

sythus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2017 - 09:55 PM

OK I was able to run both the S.M.A.R.T and the long generic tests and my hard drive passed both. I am hoping to run memtest possibly tonight or sometime soon.

#11 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,988 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2017 - 10:23 PM

Alright, thanks for letting me know. :)

Regards,

bwv848

#12 sythus

sythus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2017 - 12:33 PM

OK so I finally was able to run memtest86+ overnight, and it ran for 9 hours with 9 passes, and no errors.

#13 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,988 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2017 - 04:56 PM

Right, couple of weeks now... will you re-run the Sysnative File Collection App again, so I can see how your system has changed? While waiting for my response, I suggest you put your graphics card on a different slot on your motherboard.

#14 sythus

sythus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2017 - 09:37 PM

I attached a sysnative file, and tried to upload the perfmon but it still won't let me upload it (says I am not permitted to upload it).

I'll switch the GPU to the other slot as well.

Thanks again!

Attached Files

#15 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,988 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2017 - 10:33 PM

As I expected, the crashes are are again graphics card related. After you have tried another slot on your motherboard, can you try updating the BIOS if you know what you're doing? This sometimes helps with low-level compatibility issues.

BTW, do you happen to know what vendor "tuned" your graphics card... was it an EVGA one, an MSI one, etc.

Thanks.

Regards,

bwv848

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users