Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hourglass 24x 7

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 ramsey76

ramsey76

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 05 September 2006 - 12:48 PM

I nned some help on one PC. The hourglass is on 24 by 7. I can no tdo anything. I open word and excel and I get hour glass for 10 -15 minutes. Same thing on internet access.

When the hour glass is done the PC is frozen and needs to be reboot

I run spy check and anti virus daily.

I have cleaned out temp and other junk.

I have updated drivers.

I have un plugged the router and PC.

I have installed no new programs or hardware.

Restore is not an option.

I have tried tp run pCpitstop but get nowhere since hours later nothing has happened.

I have defrag the drive

I have 895 K of ram.

The PC is compaq ( 1 year old for me) with a AMD 3300 processor

I would appreciate any help on how to get my PC back.

Thanks

tom

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2006 - 03:20 PM

You seem to have something corrupted or very busy that is preventing these programs from opening.

First, use Startup Inspector to stop all aps except necessary system aps, your av program, firewall and anti-malware programs from starting when Windows starts.

Startup Inspector (manages startup menu – helps you identify aps in the startup menu so you can disable unnecessary programs from running in the background when they are not needed)

And

Startup Monitor (a small freeware ap available on the same page to notify you and require your permission for any program to add itself to your startup menu)

http://www.windowsstartup.com/download.php

Look at the settings in all your antimalware aps including your av ap to make sure that they aren't initiating scans on startup.

Start with that.

Why is reinstalling the system a problem?

Well, hopefully you will not need to do it.

Edited by Enthusiast, 05 September 2006 - 03:20 PM.

#3 ramsey76

ramsey76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2006 - 06:42 AM

Thanks for the input.

I eliminated some programs like adobe from the startup.

The problems remaims. My anti virus and spyware programs load on start up but do not run .

System restore will only let me restore to last Friday, and my current problems started before last Friday.

I did a ctrl+alt+ del, and the Cpu capacity is 4 to 6 % range. However explore is not one items being used bu the CPU.

I also have the same problem on a second computer. I am close to reformating both PCs.

I would appreciate any other help.

Thanks

Tom

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 06 September 2006 - 07:43 AM

My anti virus and spyware programs load on start up but do not run .

Follow Enthusiast's advice on how to stop programs from starting at bootup. Stop your anti virus and anti spyware programs from starting and reboot. See if the issue persists.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#5 ramsey76

ramsey76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2006 - 08:13 AM

OK

I must have mis read the intial advice, since i though the suggestion was to leave the firewall, anti virus , spyware on.

Thanks

TB

#6 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2006 - 08:32 AM

i though the suggestion was to leave the firewall, anti virus , spyware on

Normally, yes. It is not a good idea to remove these programs. However, this is not a normal situation you are having. If I understood you correctly, these programs are not running properly. They could have been attacked by some malicious software and therefore are corrupt. They could have become corrupt for any one of a number of reasons. It just makes sense to me that if a program is not running, it needs to be removed, as we have to take that as a clue.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#7 ramsey76

ramsey76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2006 - 05:14 PM

Ok so with firewall, av , spyware programs not active and my PC is running much faster.

I think it is safe to assume that one of them is causing the trouble.

I think I am going activate them one at a time to see if I can pinpoint the trouble.

If I can find the trouble will deleting the program and reloading solve the problem ?

Thanks

TB

#8 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2006 - 08:38 PM

It's also a good idea to check your task manager to see what program(s) is/are using the processor.

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2006 - 10:08 AM

Generally deleting the offending program and then reinstalling it will fix the problem. BUT, this doesn't consider what caused the intial problem, nor does it consider files that are left over when you delete the program.

But, it's the first thing to try, so let us know how it works out.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 ramsey76

ramsey76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2006 - 05:59 AM

Thanks to all

It looks like my "problems" occured when I installed Webroot's Spysweeper program.

I emailed Webroot for help and they explanied that in the latest verision of Spysweeper ( 5.0) that they increased the min ram to 256 from 128 ( previous version ). This increase in Ram make some my older PC run quite slow.

Webroot's suggestion was to use msconfig to shut down unwated programs. I had already done this.

There is not much I can do except can spysweeper in deactivie mode for most of the time.

T

#11 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2006 - 09:43 AM

If you do not have the requisite ram and therefore have a problem with Spysweeper the only thing you can do is disable it and use it on demand rather than use its realtime functions.

Try using Microsoft's Windows Defender instead -

The truth is that 512mb of ram is really the minimum necessary for XP to function normally nowadays.

#12 ramsey76

ramsey76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2006 - 04:04 AM

Thanks

My laptop is at the max ram of 512. Some of this used by the video card.

I will keep spysweeper in de active mode ot go back to the earlier verison that used less RAM.

Defender does strange things to my PC, it seem to hog all the memeory for some unknown reason.

#13 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2006 - 04:12 AM

Well, your main problem is the fact that you only have that much ram. Webroot runs all the time, so it slows down the system... the video card doesn't use dram, it uses it's own type of ram called vram that is integrated onto the card. However since installing more ram onto your computer is not an option, you need to make security sacrifices and program sacrifices, in my opinion, you should disable any wireless from the internet, this way you can deactivate your webroot and your firewall. Then whenever you want to get on the internet you just activate those programs. It's all about resource conservation.

#14 ramsey76

ramsey76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2006 - 06:38 AM

Thanks for the advice.

The PC is my laptop and I use the wireless connection .

I will live without spysweeper.

I have another spyware prgrams .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users