Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking for advice upgrading my gaming comp

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 BalanceOfTime

BalanceOfTime

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 09 April 2017 - 07:55 PM

Hey guys,

Okay, so I have looked through some posts and I will try to include as much info as I can upfront.

CPU: Intel X990 3.47Ghz
Motherboard: ASUS P6X58D Premium
Memory: 12GB  (3x4GB) Corsair vengeance 1600mhz 9-9-24
SSD Storage (OS and top FPS) Corsair P128
HDD main (most games on here except one or two that are on SSD): WD Black 1TB WD1003FZEx
HDD secondary Storage: Hitachi Deskstar HDS721075KLA330 made:8/08 750GB
Video Card: EVGA Geforce GTX 970 SSC
Case: Cooler Master HAF XM "mid tower"
Power Supply: Corsair TX650W
Operating System: Windows 10 Home
Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster T260HD

My main use for the computer is gaming and web browsing. I do store my everyday files on it as well ( photos, videos, and MS docs). I play a lot of different games. The ones I am most concerned with are the top FPS games ( Playerunkown's Battlegrounds, Battlefield 1, also Osiris and even American Truck simulator with Logitech wheel.

I would love suggestions on how you guys would start upgrading my system. I don't have enough cash to just build a new system so i would like incremental upgrades and really where to start. Thanks!

Edited by BalanceOfTime, 09 April 2017 - 08:23 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 09 April 2017 - 08:20 PM

You already have a respectable 'upper-mid range' (by today's standards, roughly equivalent with GTX1060), and as your X58-based mainboard and CPU are from 2008 era , so you have stretched the CPU/mainboard/DDR3 gaming cycle as long as possible, in my opinion...

I'd struggle along a few more months with what you have, and plan on a near 'total replacement build' (you can reuse PSU, case, drives if you wish) around a GTX1070-based build; choose from i7-7700K/Z270, or Ryzen R7/X370/B350 and 16 GB of DDR4, should set you back about $900-$950 if you shop carefully and catch a sale or two...

(Were it not for gaming requirement, your existing rig would last another 5 years for general use, surfing, etc...)

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users