Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible thumbdrive failure (Linux Mint Cinnamon)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 09 April 2017 - 07:03 PM

I was running Linux Mint Cinnamon 18.1 on my laptop and I copied a file from Kingston thumbdrive to my laptop and after I was done copying the file on my thumbdrive I went to safely remove device I saw I notification that LMC was writing to my thumbdrive, so I put the thumbdrive back in my laptop and I checked for hidden files and I didn't find anything. Then I brought the thumbdrive to my local computer store and had them scan it for infections they found nothing but they did notice the drive was kinda slow I also noticed this to from the first day I bought the drive.

So what do you think? Should I get a new thumbdrive or is it a bad USB infection?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,267 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2017 - 07:42 PM

As long as you can read from the thumb drive and write to the thumb drive and all of your data is still in tact I wouldn't worry.

As for the speed of the drive some drives read and write faster than others depending on whether it is usb 2.0 or usb 3.0.

I wouldn't trust a computer store to tell me anything about any product I own as if they sell it than yours will be bad or almost bad.

Yes I'm a cynical S.O.B and not very trusting of retailers. 

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#3 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Admin

• Malware Response Team
  • 822 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 10 April 2017 - 02:53 AM

If you're at all concerned by the possibility that your thumbdrive has an infection, then format it. This will remove everything from it, and restore it to "factory" condition.

Just be sure that any "irreplaceable" files that you might have on it are backed up before you do.

Personally I think it's highly unlikely that your thumbdrive will be infected, and I agree with Toolman's assessment on the probable motives of the store.

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 10 April 2017 - 06:07 AM

So what do you think? Should I get a new thumbdrive or is it a bad USB infection?

Highly unlikely.

I see you have a thread on Linux Mint forum about this.

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=242557

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#5 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2017 - 09:43 PM

I just wanted a second opinion NickAu.

Edited by Al1000, 14 April 2017 - 04:33 AM.
remove banned member's quoted post

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 10 April 2017 - 10:56 PM

Thats fine.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users