Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Failed installation of Ubuntu 15.04 from Lubuntu

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 UncleWiggily1952

UncleWiggily1952

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 09 April 2017 - 03:23 PM

I decided to try Lubuntu on my HP8540w (acquired from an auction my Nephew's company has when they decide to upgrade their laptops) when it came time to upgrade my Ubuntu 14.04 LTS which I really liked. I gave Lubuntu a fair try of six months but I did not like it very much so I decided to install U 15.04 LTS. I usually give the new long term supports a pass until they decide to start beta testing a new version of Ubuntu so I am always one version behind.

The installation got hung up about 3/4 of the way through and would go no farther. I decided to give it another try but I was met with logon screens requesting my user password for the boot option screen, the bios screen and the network options (I just tried those last two out of curiosity) and for the factory reset screen (desperation had set in). The HPElite comes with a fingerprint scanner which is what I used for the bios. It did not work. I used a regular password for the boot options. That password did not work either. I did not set passwords for the other two but one was requested.

I don't believe there is any software on this machine any longer because allowing it to boot up normally got me to a strange login screen that requested my password. It did not accept my password.

So have I turned my wonderful laptop into a big paperweight or is there any solution for this?

UncleWiggily1952

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,343 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 09 April 2017 - 04:24 PM

Hi, UncleWiggily.

If you're using 15.04, I fancy your problem is that Canonical have dropped support for this release by now. The LTS versions are supported for 5 years; the 'interim' releases (14.10, 15.04 & 15.10) are only supported for 9 months. 

15.10 itself would have lost support in July last year. 15.04 would have been 'dropped' back in Jan 2016. When they lose support, Canonical archive the repos for those versions, and they are no longer accessible.....which means you can't update, add PPAs, or anything like that. If that was me, I'd have stuck with 'Trusty'; it's still supported for another two years, and by this point in time, is super stable. Run it till EOL, and by that time, 18.04 LTS will have been out for a year, and most of the 'bugs' in that will be well on the way to being history.

You'll be perfectly okay giving 'Xenial Xerus' (16.04 LTS) a go at this stage; it's been out for a full 12 months by now, and should be up to the second 'point' release, AFAIK . The bugs ought to be 'sorted' by now!

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 09 April 2017 - 04:30 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2017 - 04:55 PM

I don't believe there is any software on this machine any longer because allowing it to boot up normally got me to a strange login screen that requested my password. It did not accept my password.

Wonder if there is a BIOS password interfering....Solved: Reset BIOS Password EliteBook 8540w - HP Support Forum - 927153

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 10 April 2017 - 06:32 AM

So have I turned my wonderful laptop into a big paperweight or is there any solution for this?

No, Boot your PC from a live disk Ubuntu 16.04 is great, I use it.

I don't believe there is any software on this machine any longer because allowing it to boot up normally got me to a strange login screen that requested my password.

You can use a Live disk to check the drive. Boot you PC from a DVD or Live USB open Gparted and look at the partitions.

I think this is a bad installation, I would just install 16.04

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#5 UncleWiggily1952

UncleWiggily1952
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2017 - 02:16 PM

I cannot boot from the new USB copy of Ubuntu because of the password issue. I cannot do anything without that password. I have posted at the HP forums. Perhaps they can help.

Thanks for trying!

UncleWiggily1952

#6 UncleWiggily1952

UncleWiggily1952
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2017 - 02:49 PM

buddy215 the solution that seemed to work was contacting HP Chat. My machine is no longer covered by a warranty or service agreement and they will not talk to me.

Thanks for trying!

Uncle Wiggily1952

#7 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 10 April 2017 - 03:26 PM

Hi UncleWiggily - try removing the CMOS battery. That should clear your BIOS password (I suggest to not even use one). Take a look here for instructions on how to do this.

That should get you back into your laptop and allow you to re-install Ubuntu!

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2017 - 09:26 AM

Looks like....according to the info in comments in the link I gave and the link DeimosChaos gave....that your best bet is to somehow get assistance from where you purchased

the computer. Especially since HP is not offering any assistance in getting the password or removing the password.

That is one heck of a nice computer....hope you can get it working for you.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#9 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2017 - 10:45 AM

I didn't even notice I was posting the same link as you, Buddy215. Hopefully that fixes OP's issue!

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#10 UncleWiggily1952

UncleWiggily1952
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2017 - 12:45 PM

Deimos Chaos:

According to what I read on the threads from suggested by Buddy posted on the HP forums, taking the battery out of these business mobile work stations/laptops does not work. dagnabit!

UW

#11 UncleWiggily1952

UncleWiggily1952
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2017 - 12:48 PM

I have posted on the HP forums. If that does not bring me a solution then I will try contacting my nephew to see if he can get help from his IT people. What a PITA I have caused myself!

It is a nice laptop. Very under-used by me since all I really do is word processing, post on some forums and facebook, and surf the net. But it was really fast.

Thanks for trying!

UW

Edited by UncleWiggily1952, 11 April 2017 - 12:51 PM.

#12 UncleWiggily1952

UncleWiggily1952
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2017 - 01:50 PM

HP was no help at all

HP was no help at all with this issue. These machines do not have a master password; they are individualized and without being able to show proof of ownership HP will not help you unlock them. Unless there are less than kosher ways to do this floating around on the net, that laptop is toast. I will do a bit more research and try to find out if there is a way to unlock them but I am not holding my breath.

Thanks for everyone's input! I really do appreciate it.

UW

#13 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2017 - 03:22 PM

If the nephew can't help....and you like to tinker with computers...you can replace the motherboard.

Quad Core Motherboard for HP Compaq Elitebook 8540P 8540W Laptop OEM 595765-001-Newegg.com

$54.99

You can replace the BIOS chipset. The link below is to one seller...US $24.00

BIOS CHIP for HP EliteBook 8440w 8440p 8530w 8530p 8540p 8540w 8560w,No Password | eBay

QUOTE: BIOS CHIP for HP EliteBook 8440w 8440p 8530w 8530p 8540p 8540w 8560w 8560p 8460P , No Password

Edited by buddy215, 16 April 2017 - 03:35 PM.

#14 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,343 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 16 April 2017 - 03:59 PM

I was reading somewhere on the HP Forums earlier this evening, that the BIOS password for these machines is in fact held on the hard drive.....and not contained within the BIOS EEPROM chip?

Don't know whether that is in any way relevant, mind you. I was thinking perhaps swapping out the HDD might work, too..... Just an idea.

Buddy's suggestion seems perfectly valid, as well.

(*shrug*)

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 16 April 2017 - 04:03 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#15 legodude

legodude

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2017 - 07:06 PM

I used to own HP 8560w.  That BIOS admin password is saved in a small NVRAM so removing the battery will not defeat it.

HP business tech support can help you with an encrypted bin file to re-flash the NVRAM but with your laptop being out of warranty, they are not the most customer friendly bunch.

I can think of 3 ways:

1.  Ask  your nephew to contact his IT support and have him/her contact HP for the bin file (I doubt IT knows the BIOS password);

2.  Send a letter and proof of purchase (letter from the company auction) and snail mail it HP Inc CEO (Dion Waiters) and clearly explain what you would like him to do.  With some luck, an executive liaison should contact you.

3.  If you are brave, and willing to brick your laptop, you can try the instructions and files found in this link (  https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/bios-password-reset-Elitebook-8560w/td-p/5219902  ).  It is for 8560w but it "should" work for your laptop.

Good luck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users